MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dirty shooting ammunition.

I mean really BLECH stuff I loaded myself.

A hot load of Blue Dot powder, but it's dirty with lots of unburnt powder.

I only loaded 50 rounds of the stuff, but today I managed to get two fail-to-feeds

from it. Honestly, it was so dirty I expected problems and was just shooting it up

for practice. This powder is off my 9mm list for good.

The first FTF, it just failed to seat the cartridge all the way home. The slide was about

1/16" from being in battery. I smacked the rear of the slide and made the shot.

About 25 rounds later, once again the same FTF. The single smack did not do the trick.

Racking the slide put her in battery and she was ready to go, although I did not make that shot.

I unloaded and field stripped the pistol to verify my suspician. Yup.... a ring

of nastiness right at the front of the chamber.

I finished the 50 loaded with Blue Dot, then put another 100 through that was loaded

with lead RN and 4.5 of Win 231. No issues and functioned perfectly.

At home I field stripped and cleaned the pistol. Not bad inside, and I paid particular

attention to the barrel.

All is well now, and lesson learned.

My .45 Commander will occasionally do the same thing with a dirty powder, but that

pistol has a tight chamber and near match grade accuracy. Maybe this M+P compact

has the same feature? It certainly shows signs of surprising accuracy when I do my part.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: Figured out how to make my M+M fail to feed........

carteach0 said:
The first FTF, it just failed to seat the cartridge all the way home. The slide was about

1/16" from being in battery. I smacked the rear of the slide and made the shot.

Mine did similar today, but It was operater error. It was the first round and I let the slide forward but impeded it slightly so that it didn't close fully. It basically resulted in a light primer strike that was off center of the primer since the gun wasn't fully into battery

1 - 2 of 2 Posts