MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wife is really unhappy about my decision and the idea of firearms in the house. She doesn't want to hear about it or even see it.

Do any of the members have a significant other that disapproves of firearms in the home? This is frustrating at the moment. She says she'll never even go to the range with me. She would like me to sell it before I even get a chance to fire it. What to do? What to do?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I guess you should have discussed it with her before you made your purchase. Hope everything works out for you. I'd hate to hear you had to get rid of your new MP without having fired it. You know as well as I do the boss (wife) always has final word. I sure hope she changes her mind. good luck buddy. May the force be with you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it is truly sad that someone could be so intolerant

my wife is 100% supportive of my hobby and in turn I am 100% supportive of her interests and that's the way it should be.

try to find a ladies-only shooting program (we have a real nice one in Phoenix http://www.annieoakleysureshots.com/ ) or a "becoming and outdoors woman" http://www.bowca.org/ program, perhaps that would be a better introduction for her.

good luck

Poole

·
Registered
910 Posts
BAIL!!!

My wife absolutely hates the thought of hunting/killing animals. She flat out refuses to go with me on any hunt. She doesn't want me to talk about it, or even watch hunting shows in front of her. She also doesn't want animal mounts in our house, but she has no problems with me going hunting if it's what makes me happy. She also has no qualms with me having animals mounted, and hung up at my parents house(which she would see weekly).

If I were you I'd find something she absolutely loves, and seemingly cannot live without, and tell her it has to go and give the same reasons she gives you for the gun. Or just man up, and say, "lady, I do what I want!"
Or, ask her if she would mind the gun in the house if you had it securely locked in a safe.

Blah. Marriage is about compromise. I hate reading threads like this where someone's spouse is so unwilling to accept something that their spouse has/does that gives them happiness. Best of luck to you, and please update us with any progress.

·
Registered
348 Posts
luckily, my wife shoots with me. she collects guns faster than I do.

so, my advice, is same as josh, either give her an ultimatum regarding some of her stuff, or bail.

you should both be supportive of each other, if that is not there, there is nothing to build on.

·
Registered
501 Posts
greenpea76 said:
wife is really unhappy about my decision and the idea of firearms in the house. She doesn't want to hear about it or even see it.

Do any of the members have a significant other that disapproves of firearms in the home? This is frustrating at the moment. She says she'll never even go to the range with me. She would like me to sell it before I even get a chance to fire it. What to do? What to do?

Ok, so as I see it you're not to show it to her or tell her how much fun she's missing at the range?

What's the problem?

She'd like you to sell it? Well, there are lots of things in life we'd all like to have happen and, sadly, most of them never occur. Not getting your way all the time helps build character.

·
Registered
17 Posts
'76 , only you know what's best for your situation .

I have worked in a gun shop for 23 yrs and have too many times seen the husband with his tail between his legs returning a gun because SWMBO sent him back . I don't know your situation , but respect your wife . If you keep it , make sure you show her that it's secured from children . Maybe buy a metal gun box like the "Gun Vault" www.gunvault.com . Show her you are responsible and eventually she will come around . A family needs protection from predators .

·
Registered
209 Posts
My wife does not like guns either. She does not want to see them or talk about them. I use my own money to buy them and she does not want to know. What she does not know won't hurt her, that is the point of view she takes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
WOW.

When i first started buying pistols, My wife was annoyed, until then I had all kinds of rifles but no pistols. but anyway when i first brought it home she was like i said annoyed, but i kept it and just didn't expose it to her, till she got used to the idea of having it in the house. Then i slowly now when i say slowly i mean slowly started exposing her to it. cleaning it. (after range trips without her).

I guess what i am saying is that just take it slow, if she refuses to have it in the house find out why she is so against it. and see if you can talk some sense into her. Once i explained the reason i bought the pistol. (for her) to use when i am not home or out hunting. she seemed to open up a little.

I find that most women are not afraid of guns. they have just been handed the BIG pile of malarky that the liberal piles of gunk have been putting out there without hearing the other side.

Don't be afraid to stand up for whats right, you should be respected by your other half enough to let you do what you want.

I took her to the range a few times, and she shoots better than i do (now thats a little scary), but we just took the NRA's Basic pistol First steps class together.

so , i am on my way after 5 or so years. next, CCW!

SO be patient. she will come around if you take your time.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i told my wife id get a handgun. she didnt like it at first but i showed her all these incidents of violence happening... people getting shot, few women raped or attacked with in the last year around the sacramento area. So we needed something to defend ourselfs if anything like that ever happens. I think the biggest thing is that she is UNEDUCATED about guns.

You need to educate her the right way, not what she sees on TV and anti gun information.

You need to show her, its safe to have a gun in the house if done right. UNloaded, locked in a safe etc. DONT play with it with her around, dont pretend to shoot etc in the house. only time you should have it out is when you are shooting a invader of the house or authorized cleaning / maintainence.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have lived with the philosophy that "It is better to ask forgiveness than to beg for permission!" My wife knows this and understands. I don't tell her how to spend her money either!! BTW, 15 years!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar situation, not to that extreme but the wife was certainly a bit apprehensive about it. Over time she has started to get more comfortable with it, if not even interested. I took it very slow. I went over the "4 rules" of firearms with her, I took my specific gun and showed her the safety features and how it works, and that seemed to make her a good bit more comfortable with the gun being around.

Also I would HIGHLY recommend pointing your wife to http://www.corneredcat.com/ it is a great source of information and tries to relate it to women. I recently pointed my wife to it to just let her do some reading and research on her own, I think it helps for them to see things from another woman's point of view and it's very educational.

Take it easy, address her concerns, inform her about your specific model gun(s), and maybe over time she'll come around. My wife is going with me when I renew my CCW to get her own!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sounds strangely familiar

What you are describing sounds identical to the situation that I found myself in a few months ago. We talked about it for a while she was against it and she gave me the old "fine, do what you want" and I took that for a yes and bought the MP9, and lets just say the next few weeks were kinda rough.

I did exactly what everyone is saying, I went out of my way not to talk about it or pull it out at first and also got a very secure fast opening safe under the bed. Gradually I started to tell her about violent crimes and instances where robberies, muggings, rapes..etc have been stopped and how I planned on using it to protect the family. She had just never been exposed to guns, and low and behold four months later the gun didnt randomly go off and start shooting us our dog or our neighbors. Slowly I have exposed her to more and she was actually curious as to what it looked like when I was cleaning it and I showed her how to safely handle and dry fire and maybe a trip to the range is in the near future.

My advice at the end of this long reply: be very patient, dont offer to take it back because you dont want to and she is (more than likely) testing you. Just be sure to keep it safely and securely out of sight and slowly introduce her to the reality of criminal activity in your area and how you plan on keeping her safe and god forbid, defending the family if it comes to that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am lucky, my wife has her concealed weapons permit and a gun that she carries. I hope things work out for you greenpea76.

Ron

·
Registered
524 Posts
Man, I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds like your wife has too much bearing on YOUR life.

If you can afford it, and your responsible with your firearms, she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

If she "wont even talk about it" rationally then maybe you jumped into the marriage a bit premature. Sorry dude, but if your wife lacks the ability to rationally discuss opinions, particularly with her HUSBAND, then....well.....

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
greenpea76, sounds like she may just be frightened of the thought of a firearm being brought into the home. Especially with all the crap thats on the news lately.

When I first met my wife she wouldnt even hold a convo. with me about anything firearm, her X pulled one on her and really screwed with her head. But the more I brought them out played with them, prooved to her I would never do anything stupid to harm her, myself, or innocent neighbors she finally started warming up to it. Alot of women want to feel safe, so if we make them feel that way and explain guns arent all that bad, its the freaks that own them and are iresponsible with there firearms that screw it up for the rest of us!

You might just have to prove it, and I know that can be a task all in itself, but if you 2 want to work it out, there has to be a compromise on both sides. I hope you can change her mind, if not you can always send them my way, I will love and adore them daily.....

No really I hope this all blows over, every home needs at least 1 firearm!!!

Good luck brother :wink:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Re: Sounds strangely familiar

I just read your reply, very well put!!! 8)

jbparrothd21 said:

What you are describing sounds identical to the situation that I found myself in a few months ago. We talked about it for a while she was against it and she gave me the old "fine, do what you want" and I took that for a yes and bought the MP9, and lets just say the next few weeks were kinda rough.

I did exactly what everyone is saying, I went out of my way not to talk about it or pull it out at first and also got a very secure fast opening safe under the bed. Gradually I started to tell her about violent crimes and instances where robberies, muggings, rapes..etc have been stopped and how I planned on using it to protect the family. She had just never been exposed to guns, and low and behold four months later the gun didnt randomly go off and start shooting us our dog or our neighbors. Slowly I have exposed her to more and she was actually curious as to what it looked like when I was cleaning it and I showed her how to safely handle and dry fire and maybe a trip to the range is in the near future.

My advice at the end of this long reply: be very patient, dont offer to take it back because you dont want to and she is (more than likely) testing you. Just be sure to keep it safely and securely out of sight and slowly introduce her to the reality of criminal activity in your area and how you plan on keeping her safe and god forbid, defending the family if it comes to that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts