MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range with wwb, and winchester sxt rounds, shot around 150 rnds with no hitch. But it was slow at the range so I went and bought some fiocchi ammo to shoot for another half hour. (all they had at the time).

I had several ftf's, during shooting, so I would just recycle the round in the next mag and continue shooting. Then again ftf, at first I thought it was a few odd rounds that were just not set right. So I sat them aside and at them end loaded them up, and had a few feed great, and then a ftf again!!! The head of the round was stuck in the ramp, and when I pulled them out they had a vertical indention on the top of the head.

This is my first problem I have seen with my gun in the last 2 years or so.. the round was a 180gr in the bronze box, fmj.

Has anybody had a similar problems with this round?

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's a mag not a clip!

I haven't had shot the Fiocchi but while I was waitin for my Rangers to come I picked up some 147gr hollowpoints from wally world and I've had some of them do the same thing if you don't let the slide slingshot enough when you rack it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I can't believe I wrote clip, meant mag, but In my mind I guess it made sense.

Any way, I have tried light rounds with no problems, hydra shocks, gold dots, cor bon, talons.. It just refused to eat fiocchi that day!! Maybe I'll try again.

But when I say they got stuck in ramp I mean the very bottom of it to where as the top of the bullet was slammed into it and stuck.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yea I was stating the same.. I noticed if I'm not letting it slingshot all the way sometimes with those rounds it would "nosedive" so to speak leaving the tip right into the ramp..

Ends up looking similar to this..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would make it do it half way through a mag though?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mad212 said:
What would make it do it half way through a mag though?

Maybe uneven spring pressure in the mag...

One side of the spring could be looser then the other, therefore causing the bullet to tilt forward or lean backward. I'm just spitballing here

·
Registered
405 Posts
you have to watch how you load the mag he brought up a good point which was the only issue I ever had, and it was once.. I had one of mine tilt down and hang up the entire mag so bad I had to pound on it to get the round to slowly move up and let the spring expeand. When you looked in from above the round was angled down and preventing the mag spring from advancing so it was stuck like halfway down. :oops: I got everything out of it reloaded making sure the backs were all the way back and never had a problem since.

As for why in th emiddle of the mag..check that bullet compared to the others if you still have it..maybe it wasn't seated in properly and that little bit made it dig in, if it happens more with the same ammo than just don't use that ammo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After I load a mag I also tap the back side of the mag on my palm to move all of the cartridges to the rear. I don't know if this helps anything, but it does make me feel like I am doing something useful.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's what I started doing..but I should note I haven't had problems with ones I have loaded.. Somebody else loaded the mag that malfunctioned.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Highlander said:
After I load a mag I also tap the back side of the mag on my palm to move all of the cartridges to the rear. I don't know if this helps anything, but it does make me feel like I am doing something useful.

Yea, like on my AR, I just grab those clips and hit them on the bottom after loading, and before use.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Grimwulff said:
Yea, like on my AR, I just grab those clips and hit them on the bottom after loading, and before use.
As an alternative you could hit the bottom of the magazine to make sure it's fully seated.

The only times I've had feeding problems in an AR, it's been when a new magazine was loaded while the bolt was forward, then when it was shot the next round didn't load since the magazine wasn't seated. You have to push hard to seat a full magazine when the bolt's forward!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
G56 said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']

As an alternative you could hit the bottom of the magazine to make sure it's fully seated.

The only times I've had feeding problems in an AR, it's been when a new magazine was loaded while the bolt was forward, then when it was shot the next round didn't load since the magazine wasn't seated. You have to push hard to seat a full magazine when the bolt's forward![/quote]

I'm lazy enough to only want to say the one syllable words :wink: It is all semantics, anyways

But yea, it will typically reseat the magazine and the spring will push the bullets back into place. if they're not in order.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine did the same stuff yesterday, 4 rounds out of 1 ten round mag. I noticed the tip of the round had a much smaller diameter compared to the Winclean stuff I normally shoot at the range. Could this make a difference?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts