MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first handgun, the M&P 9mm Shield, I saw you need to clean it before using it. What all do I need to do before I get to shoot this thing? What do I need to get for cleaning and if I get a kit what should I make sure it has in it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just purchased my first handgun, the M&P 9mm Shield, I saw you need to clean it before using it. What all do I need to do before I get to shoot this thing? What do I need to get for cleaning and if I get a kit what should I make sure it has in it?
Here is a list of gun cleaning materials you wil need.
1. Bore brush in caliber of pistol
2. Cleaning rod
3. Patch loop to hold patches on cleaning rod
4. Cotton cleaning patches. You can buy them or cut up an old T-Shirt
5. Quality gun oil. I use Break Free CLP. It cleans, lubes, and protects.
6. Q-Tips to get into all the nooks and crannies.
7. This is optional but a tube of gun grease. I use it on the rails of my pistols. Holds up better than just oil.
8. Another optional item is a silicone gun cloth. If you are going to carry your Shield daily you should wipe it down daily. MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED PRIOR TO DOING THIS!
10. Tooth brush with firm bristles.

That is a basic list of items you will need to get started. Grab a small tool box to keep everything in and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin! Sarge has it down. I use Break free CLP also & it works good. Eventually I want to give the M&Ps a Frog Lube treatment. Use any lubrication sparingly. Too much of it & it'll gum up with powder residue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is a list of gun cleaning materials you wil need.
1. Bore brush in caliber of pistol
2. Cleaning rod
3. Patch loop to hold patches on cleaning rod
4. Cotton cleaning patches. You can buy them or cut up an old T-Shirt
5. Quality gun oil. I use Break Free CLP. It cleans, lubes, and protects.
6. Q-Tips to get into all the nooks and crannies.
7. This is optional but a tube of gun grease. I use it on the rails of my pistols. Holds up better than just oil.
8. Another optional item is a silicone gun cloth. If you are going to carry your Shield daily you should wipe it down daily. MAKE SURE IT IS UNLOADED PRIOR TO DOING THIS!
10. Tooth brush with firm bristles.

That is a basic list of items you will need to get started. Grab a small tool box to keep everything in and your good to go.
Perfect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like I got my groceries list. Time to go to the store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is there anything I need to do different (cleaning wise before the first shot) than the way you clean a gun after shooting it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
First time should be the same as anytime. It used to be some new guns were shipped covered in cosmoline to protect them, and this required some work to remove the excess lubricant. As was mentioned before, excess oils/grease can trap grit that will cause parts to wear prematurely. Only a very light coat of oil is needed unless the firearm is going to be stored.

It is a fact that many accidental/negligent/unplanned discharges (whatever you want to call them) occur during weapon maintenance. Always remove the magazine first and rack the slide a couple times (in case you forgot to remove the magazine, the round hitting you in the forehead, on the 2nd or 3rd rack should be a clue to your error). Then a good visual inspection of the chamber should keep you, your family, pets, and property safe. Enjoy the new Shield!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Since I can add nothing to the list sarge gave other than my particular favorites, I'll just say check the manual for the 7 lube points! :yes

·
Registered
27 Posts
The guys nailed the list down for you.

One thing I'd add, I've tried a lot of gun oils out there - Hoppes, CLP, MPro7, Frog Lube, etc. My favorite is Hornady's One Shot. It creates the smoothest action I've ever felt in my handguns. Makes cleaning and lubricating easy.

http://www.hornady.com/store/One-Shot-Gun-Cleaner/

·
Registered
410 Posts
Compressed air (for keyboards/computer use) is also useful for drying or blowing crap out of the tight areas. I use a birchwood Casey silicone cloth to wipe it down nightly or after handling when going in the safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took mine out of the box and went shooting. Not one malfunction. I didn't pre-clean, Pre-lube or pre-anything. Didn't "break it in", didn't have to "find the right ammo". Bought it, shot it, then cleaned it.

Bore brush
Solvent patch
clean patch or two
oil patch
dry patch or two
wiped and cleaned the rest with oily bandana

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have never been able to bring a new toy home and not play with it. Accordingly, the first thing I always do is take a new gun apart to see what makes it tick. I generally find that some internal shiny part is obscured by the protective coating that manufacturers love to pour all over everything.

So I make it all shiny. Then I grease it and oil it. Then I take it apart 350 times in a two -hour period, just to be sure that its still all shiny inside.

Then I go shoot it.

The only reason to shoot it is so that I can justify repeating the process. There is something satisfying about knowing what every little internal part looks like, and what it does, and how it works.

I also just like shiny stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have never been able to bring a new toy home and not play with it. Accordingly, the first thing I always do is take a new gun apart to see what makes it tick. I generally find that some internal shiny part is obscured by the protective coating that manufacturers love to pour all over everything.

So I make it all shiny. Then I grease it and oil it. Then I take it apart 350 times in a two -hour period, just to be sure that its still all shiny inside.

Then I go shoot it.

The only reason to shoot it is so that I can justify repeating the process. There is something satisfying about knowing what every little internal part looks like, and what it does, and how it works.

I also just like shiny stuff.
JWH, ha yeah when I first got home with it I was mad I forgot to buy a cleaning kit for it. I guess I was just so excited about purchasing my first handgun I wasn't thinking. But I definitely took that thing apart a thousand times that night checking out every little detail. I got my cleaning equipment yesterday so got to finally make everything shiny, go shoot it, then make it shiny again. Fixin to head out back and shoot some more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts