MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my firest event in IDPA on Wednesday using my week old MP9. My club had one of the MP9s with the Blade-Tech gear in it so I bought that one just for this reason. Can't say I car for the double mag pouch too much but I shot well for my first event. The first three strings totalled only 6 points in middle of the pack times. The last string I just lost it. 5 targets requiring 2 torso shots each then 1 head shot each behind cover. The head shots were ar maximum allowable range and I had problems seeing the impact on the target. Wound up with 18 points on the string for a total time of 32 seconds. Ouch. Maybe I should look ingo semi wadcuetters just to see the holes. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
I added a Bladetech Drop &Offset belt attachment to my Mag pouch and it works much better. It was tucked too tight before.



:twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Nines are tuff to see. Learn to "call" your shot! You don't have time to look for holes, did you put the sights on target and use proper trigger control or not...



It is addictive
:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Nines are tuff to see. Learn to "call" your shot! You don't have time to look for holes, did you put the sights on target and use proper trigger control or not...



It is addictive
:wink:


I also shoot a 9mm. What does it mean to "call" your shot?
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Have you ever noticed that when you pace yourself (cadence), line up the sights with the target, use proper trigger control, and pause ever so slightly that the bullet goes where you wanted it to go? It is not magic or luck, it is technique. Get good at hitting your target and you will become confident to be able to "call" your shot placement!! Sight picture... check! Proper trigger pull... check! Follow through... check! DON'T look for holes, go to the next target knowing that the bullet went where it was supposed to!



Perfect practice makes perfect!!



Have fun!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
coltman1985 said:
Have you ever noticed that when you pace yourself (cadence), line up the sights with the target, use proper trigger control, and pause ever so slightly that the bullet goes where you wanted it to go? It is not magic or luck, it is technique. Get good at hitting your target and you will become confident to be able to "call" your shot placement!! Sight picture... check! Proper trigger pull... check! Follow through... check! DON'T look for holes, go to the next target knowing that the bullet went where it was supposed to!



Perfect practice makes perfect!!



Have fun!!


Thanks. Any links to develop technique? But if you're competition, shouldn't you check your targets that you didn't miss them, or you get miss scores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
When you learn to call your shot you know where your hits are by seeing the sights on the target as the gun goes off. You don't need to look at the targets because you already know where the holes are going to be.



I know this sounds out there for some one just starting, but at the end of a stage I can usually tell you where every hole is on every target without ever seeing any holes, just by seeing my sights on every target the instant the gun is going off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
When you learn to call your shot you know where your hits are by seeing the sights on the target as the gun goes off. You don't need to look at the targets because you already know where the holes are going to be.



I know this sounds out there for some one just starting, but at the end of a stage I can usually tell you where every hole is on every target without ever seeing any holes, just by seeing my sights on every target the instant the gun is going off.


Any links you can recommend to develop the skill? I believe one has to develop it first through good/perfect practice to be confident enough that holes are accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Dry fire!
I would agree practicing w/ dry fire for trigger control and sight alignment, but probably only for single fire. But I think this won't be feasible for practicing fast shooting (like for competition), since the M&P can be fired successively only with live ammo
. With dry fire, I have to slide back after each shot and recompose grip again. I was thinking more of drills to develop skills necessary for faster shooting and sight acquisition (i.e. for competition) and eventually being able to 'call shots'. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
sherpa said:
Any links you can recommend to develop the skill? I believe one has to develop it first through good/perfect practice to be confident enough that holes are accurate.


Go to brianenos.com look around his forums there is a boat load of info there, then buy his book. It is required readng for anyone serious about improving their shooting skills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
It sill improves sight alignment and trigger control which is necessary for any kind of shooting you might do.



sherpa said:
[quote name='gtmtnbiker98']Dry fire!
I would agree practicing w/ dry fire for trigger control and sight alignment, but probably only for single fire. But I think this won't be feasible for practicing fast shooting (like for competition), since the M&P can be fired successively only with live ammo
. With dry fire, I have to slide back after each shot and recompose grip again. I was thinking more of drills to develop skills necessary for faster shooting and sight acquisition (i.e. for competition) and eventually being able to 'call shots'. Thanks.
[/quote]
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top