MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read in various posts on the Net regarding the 15T that S&W had decided to take the build process in house. I saw a S&W rep today at a gun show and asked him whether he knew anything about this. He stated that when S&W first introduced the 15, it didn't know what the market reaction would be. It had outside jobbers part and build the rifles. When the reaction was much better than it anticipated, S&W was overwhelmed. This lead to it deciding to do the builds in house from now on.

The rep said he would expect as tight, if not tighter, tolerances from the rifles built in-house as the ones built by the jobbers in the first go-round. On the one hand he said the rifles will be identical now as they were when they were introduced, but in another breath he said S&W could be making some of the parts in-house as well, although they would be to the same specs. He wouldn't/couldn't elaborate on which parts might be made by S&W instead of the other companies. I asked if the lower would change and he said "no."

I don't know this particular rep from adam, so he might have been just telling me what he's heard through the grapevine or he may have actually been reporting company information. I was going to order a 15T from a dealer recently and was told that S&W got behind in its production and is about 3 to 6 weeks out from its newest shipment. This could be consistent with what the rep was saying, assuming the lag is caused by the transition to in-house builds. The rep couldn't report any type of timeline for shipment of the in-house built rifles, or any kind of serial number break-down that would differentiate the pre-in-house vs. the in-house builds. He indicated there wouldn't be any way to tell the rifles apart, as far as he knew.

Has anybody else heard any information that might help us all understand the details of the above? I'm a little concerned about ordering a 15T and having it be one of the first ones off of S&W in-house line. Nothing against S&W, as I assume it will put the same quality control into making these rifles in-house as it does with any other models it builds. Experience has proven though that the first batch of whatever can often have some bugs that need to be worked out simply because it takes some trial and error to get the production up and running as close to perfect as possible. does anyone happen to know whether there's a serial number project on the net for these, or whether S&W has disclosed what the last serial number was of the prior build and what the first serial number is/will be for the in-house? Has anyone heard whether in-house build rifles have already been shipped/sold anywhere in the U.S.?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about it. I'm sure S&W will take the same about of care they do with the M&P handgun lineup.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if being built in-house will drop the price or increase it. If the demand is great enough that S&W decided to bring it in-house to keep up, S&W probably isn't going to give up the profit that will come from that. I can order a 15T right now for $1245.00 to my door. I can't imagine getting a better price than that in light of all the high-end goodies that come with the T model. I'm usually a dollar short and a day late, so I don't think I'll wait around to see if the price will drop.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMO, it can't be worse than mine. It was one of the very first built. It's back at S&W now because it won't function with 556, only functions with 223. I'll post a report when I get it back.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's a long topic over at m4carbine.net regarding the M&P15 and where models of it are now being built, the changes people are seeing in the newly shipped ones (e.g., LMT carrier bolts instead of CMTs), serial numbers on new builds versus old builds, some instances of problems people have experienced with a few since release in Feb. 2006, etc. It's definitely an interesting read.

Shadowdog, there was a couple of posts by guys in that topic talking about having a problem chambering or ejecting 5.56 vs. .223. I can't remember which was causing the problem. Two guys argue about which is wider, and I don't recall there really being any answer posted from the guy with the problem. There was some talk in the end about bad sized reloads. Regardless, it might be worth your time to read (unless you were the one posting over there as well.) Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Mark

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, AR's are so easy to build it's no big deal, it might take a little time to get people trained, past that no problem!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts