MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for the perfect 9mm for the past couple of months and had recently tried out the m&p 9mm at a local range. I fell in love with the ergonomics of this weapon and later found its accuracy is amazing. I decided to put 400 rounds through this rental that day.

Almost every other round came back and hit me in the face or on top of my head. I was shooting slow and steady for the most part and it was extremely accurate at 7 and 15 yards. I thought I was doing something wrong with my grip or maybe my stance.

I tried multiple grips and stances yet nothing helped. I let the guys at the range know and a couple of them tried it out and had the same results I did.

This was extremely disappointing since every single thing about this weapon was perfect for me. Now I believe the only way other gun I found acceptable is the Sig p226R in 9mm. I know eventually I will buy the m&p (probably a few actually) and I fell in love with the accuracy and ergonomics of the weapon but that handgun left me heartbroken today.

I have been looking at this website all evening and have seen all the posts about this issue with other owners. I have to ask you all if any one knows a solution to this problem and or if m&p has a recall or any thing going on ? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
You cannot judge a gun's reliability based on a rental. Many shops clean their rental guns once every geological epoch or so. Furthermore, many of those same shops sell cheap, dirty reloaded ammunition for use in their rental guns. It's a combination destined for problems.

Not only might the gun be broken but even if it's not, it could have residue contaminating the extractor, too much build-up on the rails or no lubrication, etc.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have one of the early 9's and .40's, sn MPAXXXX and MPBXXX. Neither one of them have ever thrown brass in my face. The 9 is around 1 year old and the 40 is 5 months. I haven't kept track of round count but know 8 pounds of powder has been burned by them making the total somewhere in the 10000 plus range. They both function exceptionaly well because I keep them cleaned and lubed.

If you want a good pistol get an M&P. IMHO

Enjoy

:twisted:

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 9c throws the brass free and clear to the right. I'd bet its just that gun. I'd ask the range how often they clean them, and check the extractor for built up crud.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be the owner of one of these if there was some solid explanation as to why some of these handguns have this problem and if there is any permanent fix for it. Honestly I would love to save the extra couple of hundred bucks I will have to spend on the sig to have an m&p9. Thanks for the advice.

BTW is there any particular distributor any one would recommend on this site if I decide to go the m&p route ?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The last SIG I used did this, too. It's not unique to the M&P.

The odds are, if you buy a new M&P and maintain it properly, you'll never have this problem. My M&P has just shy of 6,300 rounds through it so far and it extracts & ejects properly every time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't base your oppinion of this weapon on the ******* step child version. I know the rentals at our local range get abused on a daily basis and only get looked at when they stop firing 50% of the time or more. I have never had this problem with either the 9c, 40, or my range partners 45 or 9. I know our local gun shop has a 30 day return policy, I would say get one and shoot it, I would be willing to bet you won't have this problem on a new weapon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My M&P 9 has around 1,000 rounds through it and I've had only 1 casing eject toward me. That happened when I was experimenting with my grip and was definitely operator induced. Otherwise, the casings have been ejecting normally. The M&P is my favorite pistol because it feels great in the hand, points naturally, is soft shooting and is the most accurate pistol, for me, that I have shot. The trigger is far better than a Glock's, especially after its broken in. Smooths out nicely with a crisp break.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My 40c throw brass like 20 feet behind me and to the right. It gets it high enough to go over the range stall barrier.

·
Registered
49 Posts
nofoa said:
My 40c throw brass like 20 feet behind me and to the right. It gets it high enough to go over the range stall barrier.

I see the shell casings from my M&P 40 hit the guy next to me on the head. My gun throws them high and to the right. I can land them in his range bag sometimes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I probably just got a lemon. I know soon I will own this handgun but I'll probably be waiting until after christmas to purchase it at this point any way. Glad to see so many on here enjoy shooting these. I loved every aspect of it but that one little issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
og556 said:
Looks like I probably just got a lemon. I know soon I will own this handgun but I'll probably be waiting until after christmas to purchase it at this point any way. Glad to see so many on here enjoy shooting these. I loved every aspect of it but that one little issue.

My brand new M&P 9 does this (although with decreasing frequency) as have many other M&Ps in this forum. Some folks have had this problem correct itself after several hundred rounds and some have had to send the gun back to S&W (free of charge with the lifetime warranty). I have not heard of one case (no pun indended) where the problem (i) didn't work itself out; or (ii) wasn't corrected by S&W.

I have a few hundred more rounds to go through before I decide whether to send mine to S&W for a fix. In the meantime, I am thoroughly enjoying this gun and am also fully confident that S&W will stand by it--at their expense--if the brass continues to be an issue.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think your definately right about Smith and Wesson standing behind this weapon. This thing is the best handgun I have ever handled and as soon as I get my Sig I can take the risk with this gun. I am just afraid that my only weapon might need to be sent back for service due to this issue and I wont have a back up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts