MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a pretty good first outing with my 9 Full. It had been over 10 years since I have picked up a handgun, so I was all over the place as expected. I put 300 rounds through it without failure. The only problem I had to do with the slide stop. I am left handed, so this may not apply to most of you. I had big time problems releasing the slide after inserting the magazine. I pushed the button with my thumb and the slide won't release. It took a lot of effort to get the slide to release.

Hopefully, this will correct itself in time, since it's new.

Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
It might break in some. If it doesn't, like mine didn't, send it in and you'll get it back with it working as you'd expect it to.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
choochboost said:
It might break in some. If it doesn't, like mine didn't, send it in and you'll get it back with it working as you'd expect it to.

Thanks for the quick reply. Did S&W have to fix your problem too?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm a lefty too. It seems to break in after some use, but since I transitioned from the Glock I slingshot the slide on reloads, so YMMV

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It's like a new car , it will take time to break it in. Do a lot of dry firing at home and work the slide release a lot. Also drop some hoppes #9 behind this serrated lever then a little oil. My slide release button now works better for me after I did this.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JoeM&P said:
I'm a lefty too. It seems to break in after some use, but since I transitioned from the Glock I slingshot the slide on reloads, so YMMV

You had trouble with the slide stop too?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will break-in but it was not designed to work like that anyway. There are 3 really good reasons for using t e sling shot method ALL the time.

1) Using the slide release to chamber a round does not give the slide a full power run. This increases the chances of a failure to feed or a failure to go into battery.

2) You have to change your fireing grip (unless you have gorilla thumbs) to activate it.

3) You will fight like you train so if you practice using the slide stop, that's what you will do unconsciously in a fight. Some might say " I use the slide stop when Im target shooting but when I train I slingshot." If that's the case the do to the laws that govern muscle memory, you realy don't know what you'll do in a fight. Using your thumb to press a small lever is a fine motor skill. Using the slingshot method is a gross motor skill. Under stress you lose those fine motor skills and your body and mind will revert to its repeatative training. I make it a habit to ALWAYS slingshot the slide. This same motor skill is also helpful when clearing most stoppages. I also prefer to use the "over the top" slingshot over the thumb and index finger from behind method because;

1) It is easier and more reliable to grab the slide with the entire hand rather than 2 or 3 fingers.

2) "Over the top" is also the basic movement for clearing stove pipe jams, one of the most common.

Don't mean to preach, just trying to help by passing on 17+ years of aquired knowledge.

$.02

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ebar5 said:
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will break-in but it was not designed to work like that anyway. There are 3 really good reasons for using t e sling shot method ALL the time.

1) Using the slide release to chamber a round does not give the slide a full power run. This increases the chances of a failure to feed or a failure to go into battery.

2) You have to change your fireing grip (unless you have gorilla thumbs) to activate it.

3) You will fight like you train so if you practice using the slide stop, that's what you will do unconsciously in a fight. Some might say " I use the slide stop when Im target shooting but when I train I slingshot." If that's the case the do to the laws that govern muscle memory, you realy don't know what you'll do in a fight. Using your thumb to press a small lever is a fine motor skill. Using the slingshot method is a gross motor skill. Under stress you lose those fine motor skills and your body and mind will revert to its repeatative training. I make it a habit to ALWAYS slingshot the slide. This same motor skill is also helpful when clearing most stoppages. I also prefer to use the "over the top" slingshot over the thumb and index finger from behind method because;

1) It is easier and more reliable to grab the slide with the entire hand rather than 2 or 3 fingers.

2) "Over the top" is also the basic movement for clearing stove pipe jams, one of the most common.

Don't mean to preach, just trying to help by passing on 17+ years of aquired knowledge.

$.02

Thanks for the information. I would much rather rack the slide too, but I just want the slide stop to work like it's supposed to. That's all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts