MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am pretty much settled on an M&P40. This will be my first hand gun.

I do have a few questions though. One: is there anything I need to know or look out for when examining the gun before buying it? Things to check for? Frequently blemished areas, manufacturing flaws, ect.

Also, will manufacturers be producing, or are they currently producing, after market night sights for these pistols?

Also, my gun shop wants $530 for an MP40 w/ reg sites, mag disconnect, no lock. This seems a bit steep, does anyone agree? I was looking at buds gun shop online. What is the difference between "4.25 Stainless" and the others? What is the "stainless" option? The magazine housing?

Also, can anyone tell me the SKU for .40 cal, No magazine safety, No internal lock, extended slide release.

Thanks a ton guys! I am very excited about this purchase.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Extended release is coming standard from the factory. I don't know the sku offhand.

The pistol is stainless, only one option there, its a stainless with melonite finish.

Aftermarket night sights are in the works by several mfgr's, the cheaper option is to order with the sights if you want them.

There are no specific areas, I'd just suggest that you look it over well, disassemble it and do the same with the inside.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pistol is stainless, only one option there, its a stainless with melonite finish.

There is the "S&W M&P40 40SW 4.25 Stainless 15RD" and the "S&W M&P40 .40S&W 15 round, No magazine safety"

EEeerrrr??

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
They were just using the stainless as a filler, it says stainless on the side of every M&P.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought maybe they were reffering to the magazines as being stainless steel oppose to aluminum?

I do have another question though before I jump in. Can an M&P40 be made to shoot 9mm? Would the only parts neccissary be a barrel, spring, ejector and magazine?

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or are the specs different on the actual frame?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
I thought maybe they were reffering to the magazines as being stainless steel oppose to aluminum?

I do have another question though before I jump in. Can an M&P40 be made to shoot 9mm? Would the only parts neccissary be a barrel, spring, ejector and magazine?

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or are the specs different on the actual frame?

The answer is the same for most every semi-auto out on the market, NO.

That does not mean that there is now way that J.Blow didn't put a new barrel in his _______ and it worked just fine. :?

Sometimes it will work and some times it won't. You see the breach-face on the slide has different dimensions on a 9mm slide versus a 40 slide. The firing pin needs to be in the center of the breach face and the extractor needs to be able to put tension on the case rim. You cannot get both things when trying to shoot a 9mm from a gun with a 40 slide. This holds true for 1911's, Glock's, and M&P's.

Like I said though some times you may get lucky and a gun will run most of the time when doing this or you may get light primer hits or FTEs, you just cannot predict it.

Now if you wanted to get a whole new top end that would work just fine in the M&P the frames are the same and the best I can tell the ejectors are the same as well, so all you would have to do is slide one off and the other on.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dan. What you say makes perfect sense and I am suprised I didnt think of those complications prior.

Thanks guys for the info, I will order my M&P later this week!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the necropost... I am suffering from a wicked case of insomnia and my mind is in overdrive. I was thinking (ruh roh shaggy..
) about the possibility of buying a complete slide assembly as Dan mentioned and was wondering if anyone could take a SWAG at a price?

I am talking about a complete slide with all internals/barrel/sights so that I could just field strip the gun, switch the slides, reassemble and be shooting 38% cheaper ammo as well as make shooting more enjoyable for the flinch-prone girlfriend.

If I save substantially over buying a new complete MP9 that would be nice...

Insomnia and oreos are a dangerous thing...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I’m thinking that the cost of an extra slide with the related parts might put you in range of buying a second gun. You also end up with a nice backup with the second gun.

That being said, I like your idea. However, I think it would be nice to have a cost effective .22 conversion for the M&P platform. Just think of the potential capacity of a .22 in the M&P. Also .22 ammo is dirt cheap. I bet the .22 conversion is even more unrealistic but a neat idea nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
From S&W parts price list:

Slide assembly with whit dot sights- $208.20

Barrel- $92.13

I am not sure what all parts you gets with the slide assembly but if you need the striker assembly it would be another $31.42 and recoil spring $6.36

Without shipping that adds up to $338.11 for another $32 you could get the whole gun from buds.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would lloovveee for a .22 conversion (if it was fairly reliable and not a headache as some can be) but I would imagine these are far out, if even considered, by Smith and Wesson or any other manufacturers. Side business for Dan?

Well you told me all I need to know, thanks though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts