MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time owner of a Smith-Wesson, and thoroughly impressed with the seeds of use grip and accuracy. Feel very fortunate to find one during these times – – not much inventory out there. Looking to add on a light and wonder about the combination lights and lasers – any recommendations?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've got the same gun and am very happy with it. Easy to shoot well and very reliable. I use mine for competition and I have installed an Apex DCAEK sear and sear block kit and it greatly improved the trigger pull.

However, I'm a bit leery of mounting a light directly on a firearm. You have to muzzle sweep anything you want to see, even if there is absolutely no desire to actually shoot it, like say a family member. Not good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got the same gun and am very happy with it. Easy to shoot well and very reliable. I use mine for competition and I have installed an Apex DCAEK sear and sear block kit and it greatly improved the trigger pull.

However, I'm a bit leery of mounting a light directly on a firearm. You have to muzzle sweep anything you want to see, even if there is absolutely no desire to actually shoot it, like say a family member. Not good.
if you’re using the full beam to illuminate your target, you’re doing it wrong. Perhaps take a low-light shooting class?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Good point----our range does have light rentals which will tell me for sure if it's for me. I read about the Apex add-on, so thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great idea as our range has classes.
Great! When we first were issued pistols with rails and lights started showing up we saw some some really stupid things done with them, like using them as flashlights. Some departments, like LAPD required attendance to a training class before putting a light on a duty pistol, sadly we never got on board that wagon.

·
Registered
588 Posts
if you’re using the full beam to illuminate your target, you’re doing it wrong. Perhaps take a low-light shooting class?
Even if you illuminate the object (not necessarily a "target") with the edge of the beam you are pointing the gun very near something you may not want to shoot.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

Agreed., and chasing the dot with a laser isn’t a good way to try to learn to shoot either.
True, but I doubt that a new guy asking about which light and/or laser to buy has had any low light training.

Personally; I’ll have no crutches on my pistols, and I’ve had more than a little bit of training.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed., and chasing the dot with a laser isn’t q good way to try to learn to shoot either.

True, but I doubt that a new guy asking about which light and/or laser to buy has had any low light training.

Personally; I’ll have no crutches on my pistols, and I’ve had more than a little bit of training.
Rick- you are so right – – I think I got wrapped up in all the pictures and ads for the add-ons. Going to stay with the way it came out of the box. Still learning- next lesson with my teacher is eye dominance.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A couple one word answer questions for you.

Do you shoot better with a one hand grip or two?

Do you shoot faster in competition than the guys using RDS on their guns?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
A couple one word answer questions for you.

Do you shoot better with a one hand grip or two?

Do you shoot faster in competition than the guys using RDS on their guns?
It depends. Closer shots out to seven yards or so are shot one handed (right hand) when speed is the primary objective. Shots ten yards and farther will be two handed if using the sights. Shots will be left handed if shooting from the left side of cover.

Yes.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It depends. Closer shots out to seven yards or so are shot one handed (right hand) when speed is the primary objective. Shots ten yards and farther will be two handed if using the sights. Shots will be left handed if shooting from the left side of cover.

Yes.
Ok since you are faster with sights, no RDS needed.

Having no light on a gun means a one handed shot, my back yard is 40 yards in length. I'm not convinced I could make constant 40 yard shots one handed, so I have a weapon light which allows two handed shots, plus the extra weight at the muzzle end makes follow up shots quicker.

I personally am faster with an RDS, but still shoot a stock gun every other week at the range so I don't forget how to use sights. Since if the RDS goes down I have to use the sights or the top of the RMR.
I have attended 3 low light classes and all 3 instructors showed weapon lights as an advantage, not a crutch.

The point I'm trying to make is, look at it with an open mind and see if there are advantages in your situation, there were for me, I learned in a shoot house class how a weapon light is an advantage.

I also carry a surefire 6px in my pocket since that is what I use most often, but if I drop that the weapon light is still there and I can use it or not use it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have put Olights on a few of my handguns and love that they have the magnetic chargers, on the newest models, which allow for easy access, even if the light is being recharged.

Reactions: sandog and Rick M

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Ok since you are faster with sights, no RDS needed.

Having no light on a gun means a one handed shot, my back yard is 40 yards in length. I'm not convinced I could make constant 40 yard shots one handed, so I have a weapon light which allows two handed shots, plus the extra weight at the muzzle end makes follow up shots quicker.

I personally am faster with an RDS, but still shoot a stock gun every other week at the range so I don't forget how to use sights. Since if the RDS goes down I have to use the sights or the top of the RMR.
I have attended 3 low light classes and all 3 instructors showed weapon lights as an advantage, not a crutch.

The point I'm trying to make is, look at it with an open mind and see if there are advantages in your situation, there were for me, I learned in a shoot house class how a weapon light is an advantage.

I also carry a surefire 6px in my pocket since that is what I use most often, but if I drop that the weapon light is still there and I can use it or not use it.
Believe me, I’m a firm believer in “whatever works for you (anyone).” If I was taking 40 yard shots; it’d be two handed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like those Olights. Have the minis on my P01 UG and the FNS Compact (it required the slightly different version with the adjustable rail/clamp). I have the bigger ones on my .40 P09 and did have one on the M&P 2.0 5" FDE 9MM.

I carry a charger cord in my travel bag for the mini (don't travel with either pistol with the bigger lights).

I like how they have a low charge indicator on the light. I like how the charger lights up red when you put them on charge (the sleeve at the spot where the wire enters the magnetic head) and then turns green when it's fully charged.

Need to practice shooting one handed (I need to) as you never know when you might not have two good hands to shoot with. Practice shooting with the weak hand, too (again, I need to do this).

Got a bloody/gory picture (or 3) of the palm of my left hand I sliced open a few months back when I got in a hurry to toss a bundle of steel fence posts into the back of my truck without putting on my work gloves first. Took awhile to heal up when I didn't get to the doctor in time to get stitches. Walked around two or three days with my hand taped up in a way to keep the palm from stretching and opening the cut back up again. Had to have help getting dressed as the left hand was pretty useless for a few days.

If I didn't say it before, my 2.0 shoots it's best with the Winchester 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo. Head and shoulders above everything else I've tried. Now I need to develop a load that gets that kind of velocity with 124 grain hollow points to see if I can get some reasonable self defense ammo to put that Apex trigger and barrel to good use.

FDE M&P with FDE Olight. Not an exact match, but reasonably close.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts