MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't be happier with the performance of it. Shot 100+ rounds with no issues. But of course I'm Low and Left at 15 feet.

Thought I was doing everything correctly grip,stance and trigger wise.....not blaming the gun but the new pistol owner.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you believe you were doing your part correctly, ask another competent shooter to run a few rounds through it. If they have issues send it back to S&W.

If they don't have issues, looking at the target my guess is if you're a right handed shooter that your trigger pull needs correction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey there, I noticed that I was anticipating the muzzle flip and being mindful not to do that corrected my "problem" immediately.

Not assuming you are a new shooter, honestly sometimes we just need these reminders. Check this out; it might help:

·
Registered
228 Posts
You'll get better with more time spent with the gun. There is a lot of travel to the trigger, as others have said it's not uncommon for a right hander to pull left.

I bought my daughter a Sig 290 RS a few years back, It is a DOA trigger, not a really heavy pull but very long.
She wasn't doing that well with it at first (took me a few magazines to get it down as well)
I had her shoot at golf balls at 7-10 yards, told her to take her time and concentrate.
After a couple hundred rounds she was doing great. But I later sold the Sig and bought her a Shield 9.

As far as shooting way low, make sure you cover the center of target with the front sight, don't use a 6 o'clock hold.
Hitting low is a common complaint on these forums.
If you are doing everything else right and you are still hitting 5-6 inches low, go to a heavier weight bullet.
I have a PC Shield in .40 but bought a 9mm barrel for it.
115 grain (what my FS MP9 shoots best with) group 6 inches low on the target. I tried 124 grain and they impacted about 3 inches low. I then got a box of 147 grain and they land right where I aim.

You can also go with a different height front sight to bring your groups up, a lower front sight would be in order.
But I wouldn't change anything until you put a few hundred more rounds through it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sandog said:
115 grain (what my FS MP9 shoots best with) group 6 inches low on the target. I tried 124 grain and they impacted about 3 inches low. I then got a box of 147 grain and they land right where I aim.
I've never experienced this with self defense shooting distances ie 3 yards to 7 yards, grain weight seems to be moot point.

Clang said:
I couldn't be happier with the performance of it. Shot 100+ rounds with no issues. But of course I'm Low and Left at 15 feet. View attachment 17283
Thought I was doing everything correctly grip,stance and trigger wise.....not blaming the gun but the new pistol owner.
Were you using a two handed hold?

Below is a triple tap with the Shied at 7 yards.
Shield Triple Tap.png

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was first time I have shot any pistol. Only experience I have was with the M16 in the Army over 20+ years ago. Wasnt a sharpshooter but I got the 23 that I needed .

Looking over your posts looks like I goofed up on:
Aiming- was aiming below where i wanted to hit.
Ammo- 115 grain Midwest Rn
Grip - Was using a two handed grip but not sure I was using the same grip when I put it down to reload the magazine.
Trigger- tried different fingertip placements but couldn't tell what way was best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After shooting 2k rounds on my compact .40 and 180 grain , i move to shield 9mm 2.0 124 grain and was having same problem as you. At 7 yard was ok ,over 15' was low and left,when i measure the sights front sight was .024 to the right,rear was same amount to the left.i cero front sight and rear sight .020 to right and that align my Target to the middle but still low.with carry ammo147gr was dead spot. But i still have a bunch of cheap 124gr i got from wallymart so i have to readjust my aim a bit higher and after 800 rounds i can switch from carry ammo or practice ammo and adjust with no problem.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Typical results from squeezing your entire hand, not just the trigger, or jerking the trigger when firing.

You need be patient with the stock trigger and just keep it moving at a consistent rate until the gun fires. Just a smooth even motion. Work on speeding it up without feeling the need to make it go off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info about the trigger.I was talking to the employee at the place I bought it from and it said I was probably jerking the trigger. I have been praticing dry firing keeping my eye in the front site. If I slowly squeeze the trigger the sites dont move much . Cant wait to go back to the range after payday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2nd time shooting at the range at 15 feet..... better but still haveing issue with trigger control. Squeezing the trigger really slow helps but still inconsistent. I have been doing dry fire drills at home. Is there anything else I can do to keep my aim consistent?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Might not be up to target shooting standards, but certainly plenty good for any self defense situation.

When dry firing, your focus should be on the front sight. You should be watching closely to what happens as the trigger releases, looking for any movement in any direction that shows you disturbed the alignment during the release.

Dry firing is showing you clearly what happens as you are releasing the trigger, something that is almost totally covered-up by recoil during live-fire.

You are trying get in the habit of moving the trigger quickly but smoothly, and straight back, without disrupting sight alignment.

Squeezing your entire hand instead of just the trigger is a common mistake, so watch for that while training.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is the second target drawing from concealed at 3 yrds? If so, that is fine for center of mass defensive hits. Just keep working that draw and sight acquisition nice and smooth at 3 yrds then move back to 4, 5, etc... I'm solid (and relatively quick) out to 7 yrds but fall apart at 10. Just have to keep poking at it little by little.

My only suggestion, and one that helps me tremendously, is to make sure you grip the piss out of the pistol with your support hand.

If you decide to do dry fire, make sure your grip is tight as if you were live fire, your hand should be tired after 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is the second target drawing from concealed at 3 yrds? If so, that is fine for center of mass defensive hits. Just keep working that draw and sight acquisition nice and smooth at 3 yrds then move back to 4, 5, etc... I'm solid (and relatively quick) out to 7 yrds but fall apart at 10. Just have to keep poking at it little by little.

My only suggestion, and one that helps me tremendously, is to make sure you grip the piss out of the pistol with your support hand.

If you decide to do dry fire, make sure your grip is tight as if you were live fire, your hand should be tired after 10-15 minutes.

Don't think he's ready to draw with live rounds quite yet. Not sure he has a holster from the sound of it.

Most public/commercial ranges aren't going to allow that.

Try it dry-firing at home a bit before doing it with live rounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As dumb as this may sound - make sure you're keeping both eyes open. I finally started shooting pistol last year after 30+ years of scoped rifle shooting.. I still have to remind myself to use both eyes with the pistol..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your advice . Can't conseal carry draw at the range I go to and no holster yet. Been dry fireing at home but need to do it more and will try gripping the hell out it. I never tried aiming with both eyes open .I aim with the right hand and use the left eye to look down the sights.Looking into this now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, If you are left eye dominant then find what works for you. Since we're piling up the suggestions (lol), here's another one from one of the very best:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts