MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my first firearm (M&P 9mm) tomorrow and had been planing on just getting a bunch of the cheapest ammo i could find to put through it to start with. After reading on sites about this ammo and that ammo i'm not sure what to due/use any more. I know i'm not going to hurt the pistol using cheap stuff but i'd like to not make things harder on myself either like cleaning after or it not being as accurate(?). Should i use a "clean" load full jacket round or a certain grain to start with? I know everyone has there own opinion on this matter as to what ammo to use but for a first timer i didn't know if there was something the majority would suggest. Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Cant go wrong with Wally Worlds Winchester White Box/WWB very reliable and clean ammo! CCI Blazers are good cheap rounds as well. Cabelas sells bulk Ultra Max wich I bought several hundred rounds of a month or so back, havent used it though. Some people say it sucks butt, some say it cycles just fine, but dirty. But again just go out and get Wally Worlds 100 value pack WWB, they do just fine!!!

Happy shooting! And welcome to MP-Pistol if I have not yet welcomed you :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just missed the sale the local sporting goods store was having on ammo couple of weeks back. At the time i didn't think it was that much of a discount but now looking more into it seems like it was a good price. :? WWB was what i had intended on using to start with but as i said i've seen people say its bad and then others say it's fine so i've no idea. Guess i'll just have to test for myself and see if i can tell a difference.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I hate when that happens....ha

I personally have never had any issues, or heard anyone talk bad about it. For a range load its just right! Alot of folks here use it as well as ARF.COM its a popular range load. But there is plenty of cheap stuff out there, like you said best thing to do is get out there and just start testing out different loads, grains etc and see what you liek and what your MP9 likes! Not only that, alot of people will be replying to you thread soon to give you some more idears. Good luck!

KGx2 said:
Just missed the sale the local sporting goods store was having on ammo couple of weeks back. At the time i didn't think it was that much of a discount but now looking more into it seems like it was a good price. :? WWB was what i had intended on using to start with but as i said i've seen people say its bad and then others say it's fine so i've no idea. Guess i'll just have to test for myself and see if i can tell a difference.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I usually shoot Speer Lawman ammo when I'm dorking around at the range with my 9mm. Although I like to practice with what I carry, I don't like paying for Speer Gold dot +P's by the case anymore. It's more fun to buy a new gun every week or two as opposed to a case of ammo. Lawman is a bit cheaper.

For .45 all I've shot at the range so far is the WWB. I've never shot 40-50 rounds through any other gun and had half the slide literally covered in powder/residue like this before. Left the end of the gun dirty, but other than that it was great. I think it just got dirty easier because it actually has powder in the casing - whereas my .22's and 9mm have about as much as a .45's primer does.

·
Registered
119 Posts
finalfusion said:
Cant go wrong with Wally Worlds Winchester White Box/WWB very reliable and clean ammo!

I have had no problems with the WWB ammo either, but I sure dont find it clean. Very dirty ammo, I should have posted pics of what 400 rounds of that ammo did to my 40. The residual powder litterally covered the front of the gun so thickly you could chip your initials in it with your knife. It took a total weapon breakdown to clean it up, a feild strip would have been too light of a cleaning.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
WWB is fine, who care about how dirty it is!! It will not get too dirty to function in a couple of shooting sessions, besides you will do a thorough cleaning and inspection after your first session anyway!!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I meant how pretty the brass is....hehe It is dirty stuff as far as powder goes!

Angry_American said:
[quote name='finalfusion']Cant go wrong with Wally Worlds Winchester White Box/WWB very reliable and clean ammo!

I have had no problems with the WWB ammo either, but I sure dont find it clean. Very dirty ammo, I should have posted pics of what 400 rounds of that ammo did to my 40. The residual powder litterally covered the front of the gun so thickly you could chip your initials in it with your knife. It took a total weapon breakdown to clean it up, a feild strip would have been too light of a cleaning.[/quote]

·
Registered
708 Posts
best thing to do i think is to buy a few types and brands you think you will shoot later on.

then from the results shoot what you like best. but ya, WWB is cheap and good.

SPEER lawman is also good. basically, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Speer, federal, winchester white box all good and usually fair price.

when u go corbon and other high price ammo, you get a shinny case etc

·
Registered
132 Posts
I definately recommend the WWB as well. While it may be a little dirty, it's not as dirty as others, and it has always worked very well for me. I get it at Wallyworld for 15.89 a 100 pack and nothing is that cheap. You can't get a better deal on that ammo anywhere in the world, including on the internets. I say it's worth cleaning it everytime you shoot it, as I do, if you get to actually shoot it more due to lower ammo prices.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Try the Ultramax 250 round value pack at Dick's Sporting Goods (if you have one near you.) My cost is $6.99/50 of 9mm going this way and is cheaper than the WWB. Ultramax is smokier than the WWB so just a heads up. You'll get the feeling you were shooting a muzzleloader .

Later when you get more involved in shooting you might find another hobby in reloading bullets. I reload my brass and turned my back on the store bought stuff for savings down the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well picked up some Fiocchi 115gr fmj today when i went to pick the pistol. They were having a sale on the stuff ($9/50) so i went ahead and got 4 boxes. Pricyer than the WWB or some of the other stuff but i've read good things about their stuff so i figured while it was on sale i'd give it a try. Oh if there's a Gander Mountain near you they have the 9mm and 40s&w Fiocchi stuff on sale if anyones interested. I'll give a report once i get it out to the range this weekend some time. Have to pick up a box of WWB and some other stuff so i can try them out together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok had 2 days at the range now with my new M&P9. Used as stated the Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and some WWB same grade. Keeping a detailed log of everything fired through my pistol so i hope to in the future give exacting feedback one way or another on any future issues if i have any. Both types worked equally well through my pistol with the only notice i could tell was the WWB smoked a heck of alot more. My shots aren't placed well enough to say anything targets better than anything else but over time i will correct this (i hope). On a side note i got invited to a weekly match tournament yesterday during my first firing. The very reason i wanted to start shooting and i get an invite to do what i set out to do. I've been nothing but pleased with anyone in this hobbie i've spoken to in person. Here's to our hobby :!:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts