MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
This knife will cut your stuff for $25

This knife will cut your stuff for $45

This knife will cut your stuff for $100

This knife $300....................Cuts your stuff for you.

Seems like a lot of money for something that can be so easily be stolen or lost.

I use the CRKT Kasper $40 bucks ..............cuts my stuff. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
367 Posts
looks nice but maybe not that nice. Like Maximo said, it cuts stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
YG, it looks like a nice knife, but would be pretty spendy for me. It uses good steel and I like the handle. I like knives and have a few, mostly Spyderco.

A friend stopped by yesterday and showed me his new knife. It is an Ontario Rat-7. He paid less than $100 for it and it is a great knife. Real beefy blade made out of D2 tool steel and the Micarta handle. Here is a link for you to take a look at. http://www.ontariorat.com/rat-7.htm I thought that for the $$ it was a awesome knife!! It may be a bit bigger than you are looking for though. Here is where he bought his knife. http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com/index....t&Itemid=28

Also, here is one heck of a knife that has just been released!! http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7520. New Graham is an awesome online store also. I have used them a lot!!

Ron

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Now thats more my speed there! $300 is a little steep for me as well as for a knife! But it all depends on what your using it for, the knives you posted look pretty durable! Might look into buying one for myself.

Yukon.......Thats one hell of a knife brother! You would think if you bought it for 3 bills it would have a lifetime guarantee?? Sounds like the boat money is burning a hole in your pocket, I have the same problem....lmao

ront said:
YG, it looks like a nice knife, but would be pretty spendy for me. It uses good steel and I like the handle. I like knives and have a few, mostly Spyderco.

A friend stopped by yesterday and showed me his new knife. It is an Ontario Rat-7. He paid less than $100 for it and it is a great knife. Real beefy blade made out of D2 tool steel and the Micarta handle. Here is a link for you to take a look at. http://www.ontariorat.com/rat-7.htm I thought that for the $$ it was a awesome knife!! It may be a bit bigger than you are looking for though. Here is where he bought his knife. http://www.cumberlandknifeworks.com/index....t&Itemid=28

Also, here is one heck of a knife that has just been released!! http://newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7520. New Graham is an awesome online store also. I have used them a lot!!

Ron

·
Registered
501 Posts
So, Yukon, when does the knife forum open???

if we had a knife forum we wouldn't have to hijack your thread

The Rat 3 looks nice........ I've got a Cold Steel srk and a Becker Crewman and of course a Kabar GI type.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My intention was to get a good discussion going on defensive fixed blades.

I don't have the money for a $300 knife; but I do like to talk about them.

Anyone carry one of these???

-CRKT Ryan Plan B

-CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion

-Ka-Bar TDI

-Cold Steel Braveheart

-Benchmade Resistor

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ClosetCaseNerd said:
Change of heart on the high dollar steel?

I never said I was going to buy one. I just wanted opinions on it in case I win the lottery!!! :wink:

·
Registered
524 Posts
lol, seriously, if your going to spend close to 300, get the Strider. Anyone who knows knives (and uses them) will back me up on them.

I have had great luck with CRKT but I only use their folders (M16, M21 series). Benchmade has a great knife, kinda spendy, the nimvarius, or better yet the blackwater series equivalent (has the serrated blade along the spine of the knife, and the bellied portion is a plain end)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm a big fan of swamprat knives. If you've got the persistance and patience.

Love my camp tramp.

Wish I had the cash for the mini mojos that are available.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't like it. The price is too high and it's a little too big.

I like a small fixed blade (3-4" blade), plain edge, drop point, mounted on my belt toward the front of my body on my non carry side. I like the edge to be facing my carry side. This setup gives you a lightning draw with a closed fist trailed by a sharp blade. It’s a very good setup for artery or tendon work. The small blade is easier to conceal and is potent enough for the goal: injure the attacker enough to give you time to get to your gun.

The key to any knife is how sharp you keep it. Get a wet stone, and get very familiar with it. The blade should be sharp enough that when you drag the edge across a fingernail, the knife stops because it is cutting in under it’s own weight. If a section of the edge slides easily over your nail, it’s dull. Mark it with a sharpie and hone the sharpie off.

Suggestions:

Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) – 1st strike

Cold Steel – Pendleton Mini

Benchmade – Model 220 Fixed Resistor

Gerber – River Runner (you’ll look like an idiot, but hey, it’s $20 at WalMart and it’ll do.)

I have a Benchmade – Nimravus Cub that I love. It’s my defensive/ hunting/ survival knife, but it’s been discontinued.

If I were going to get a defensive knife right now, I’d probably get a SpyderCo – Bill Moran.

Come to think of it, maybe I do need a new knife?

…Oh crap!

Yukon, you suck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My daily carry knife is a black Emerson Commander. It's assisted opening so it flicks open when you pull it out of your pocket. They cost $144+ and I'm quicker with this one than a switchblade, butterfly or regular lock blade. Fixed blade is of course faster but much less concealable and doesn't fit into my pocket so well. I think it's good to have a knife because I think you can way more easily justify pulling a knife than a gun, the whole being pulled from a taxi situation that came up a while back is a good example.

It's not an extreme duty knife but personally I'd just get a standard kabar at the army navy store for $50 or less if I needed a knife that I were going to be using as an all purpose tool. I know that if I spent $300 plus on a knife I'd never use it. For that much it should be able to propel itself out of my hand into the BG and eliminate the need to even carry a gun.

Here's a demo and the best price I've found on one:

http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/emerson...lade_knife.html

http://www.emersonknives.com/HardWear_index.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have one of the $35 Kershaw assisted opening folders from walmart. I'm not a big believer in the whole knife fighting thing, but it does come in handy to open those pesky heat sealed heavy plastic electronics packages

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yukon..I don't have but have been seriously looking at the ka-bar TDI...i have picked it up a few times at the local store and really like it...and its only about $30..not sure how the sheath will hold up...seems cheap and seems to me like it would be hard getting on and off the belt..I may pick one up this weekend and see...not sure if I want the serrated edge of straight edge...I could use some opinions on that from everybody...thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
bchandler said:
I have one of the $35 Kershaw assisted opening folders from walmart. I'm not a big believer in the whole knife fighting thing, but it does come in handy to open those pesky heat sealed heavy plastic electronics packages

Put me into the " I'm not a big believer in the whole knife fighting thing " group too!

At 58 with arthritus the idea of doing a Jim Bowie dance holds no romance but I suppose if I had to I'd pull my Delica out and pray for a really bad opponent

For strolling in the woods my preference runs to Becker or a Cold Steel SRK but the Rat series does look inviting, maybe I'll have to try one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts