MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a flashlight fetish. More precisely, a LED (light emitting diode) flashlight fetish. I could write columns about the advantages of LED flashlights over regular halogen flashlights.

I read somewhere that if you are in the dark, stay in the dark, but if you are in the light, light up the dark. Well a good flashlight can come in handy, especially in a dangerousl environment.

So what kind of flashlight(s) do you have?

I have:

Inova T4 LED flashlight $100 (in avatar)

Inova XO LED flashlight $40

Inova X5 LED flashlight $40

Inova Microlights (red, blue, green, white) $5 ea.

Coast 4-color Recon Tactical LED $40

If you want a high quality flashlight go with Inova. They are small and powerful, and would work hand in hand with a pistol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Surefire 6Z, Surefire G2, Inova X5, couple of Inova microlights (red). The little red ones are for things like navigating in an unfamiliar motel room at night. Does my beat up old C-cell Mag Light still count?

I like the LED Inova for general use, but for sheer brightness I still like the plain old G2, it is much whiter.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
M3 and a surefire exec E2. I need a cheap LED, any reccomendations.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's cheap?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
30-40$. 90$ for a damn light is outragous

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I haven't been happy with my <$45 LEDs. They either are less than durable, not bright, or have a nasty color cast to them.

I think for LEDs, the 3w inova LEDs are the best bet. You don't mind something dimmer, you can pick up the 1w Inovas at target for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Are we talking just hand-held lights or adding in weapon lights also?

I have:

• Night-Ops Gladius

Surefire Z2

Surefire G2

Surefire E1e

Surefire C3

Surefire whatever the polymer version of the Z2 is

Surefire 618

Surefire 918

Surefire 9volt millinuem weaponlight

Surefire X200A (2 of them)

Insight M3

Insight TLR-1

Several Maglights

Surefire M500

·
Registered
373 Posts
NCPatrolAR, you should get Christmas cards from Surefire!

·
Registered
323 Posts
MilitaryPower How long does the batteries last in the INOVA XO. Do they last longer than surefires or about 60 or so minutes? I want to get good light like a surefire or a INOVA, but they need to last along time since the price of lithium bats are kinda expensive.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to have a couple more Surefires, but I sold them off to people in need of them.

Speaking of cards, you'd think I'd get something considering all the money I've spent with them. I've also been through their instructor school.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Inova T4 LED flashlight $100 (in avatar) 2-2.5 hours (same brightness) 100 lumens

Inova XO LED flashlight $40 3 hours (same brightness) 32 lumens

Inova X5 LED flashlight $40 20 hours

Inova Microlights (red, blue, green, white) 12 hours

Inova just came out with a new line of flashlights that are cheaper but are polymer. You can get them at Target.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You are not the only one. I have 6 surefires 6p 9p and the new nitrolon ones

I have a old school inova blue led one and my newest is a Fenix L2T 3 watt LED light thats AWESOME!! it runs on 2xAA's.

here is a review of it. IT runs about 45$ you will be very happy with it.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1t-l2t.htm

I started getting tired of buying cr 123as from surefire, they jacked up the price from 15$ for 12 batteries to 23$ a box..

there are other sites that sell the same batts for roughly 1.25$ each or so..

Now I have this Fenix light that uses AAs , they rec the litium energizers but not needed.. its really bright and lasts longer than a surefire of 60 mins..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw a streamlight scorpion led that was very bright and wanted to know how anyone else liked this model, I see it was not talked about here?

it was selling at the gun store for about $65. how is this price compare to other models that equal this?

·
Registered
190 Posts
We used to run Scorions on our M4s back when I was at Ft Bragg. They were pretty solid lights and very bright. The only issue I have had with them is that the tailcap switch becomes extremely spongey after some use and it becomes hard to activate/deactivate the light. This was often corrected by making a slit in the rubber at the rear of the light and inserting a small piece of paper to restiffen the switch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Took your advice Militarypower and bought a INOVA X1 to have as a pocket light, and its great. Powerfull light, small and the battery lasts it seems like forever. Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you like it. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an Inova Inova MI-X5MT-UV , a Dorcy 5watt led that I keep in my car, but my favorite is an off brand MXDL 3w that I bought on ebay 3 years ago that is my absolute favorite.

I kind of have a thing for flashlights but can't bring myself to pay $100 for one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have

Surefire 9N (ca 1998, one of the best ever flashlights)

Streamlight Luxeon Jr (2xAA)

Coast Tac-Torch (3xAAA)

Fenix E1 (1xAAA)

Fenix L1T (1xAA)

MagLite (3xD) with Diamond Luxeon Upgrade

MagLite Solitare (now replaced by the Fenix E1)

x number of Mini-Mags

Of all these, I carry my Fenix E1 and Luxeon Jr every day.

Depending on your needs, I'd recommend:

Fenix L1T (1xAA)

Fenix L2T (2xAA)

Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA

I do not own any CR123 powered lights, so I cannot comment. Surefire are solid choices.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts