MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 4 August, I participated in an IPSC/USPSA club match as part of earning my USPSA safety card. I have several pistols from which to choose, but this day I chose the M&P40. Prior to the match, my use of it was confined to rather sedate range work and participation in a Defensive Pistol class.

This was a six-stage match which took about 135 rounds. There were competitors in all classes so I got to see several rather trick race guns as well as PVGs -- plain vanilla Glocks -- the whole spectrum of equipment.

I was glad I was shooting the Smith that day.

Every one of the race guns encountered FTF or FTEs. There was even an ND. Now that just can't feel good -- having your multi-thousand dollar custom built designer firearm choke on you in the middle of a stage.

My performance? Not great, but safe. And no problems... Nada...Zip....Zero. No FTFs No FTEs. No problems whatsoever.

Did I mention that I was using the .40S&W? I hate .40S&W. Report too loud. Recoil too snappy. Just not fond of the round one bit.

Except... for reasons beyond my ken, the M&P40 behaves as a robust but well mannered 9mm. I was using 180 grain Blazer, 985 fps. That's a Power Factor of 177.3 -- a MAJOR. Every advantage helps and getting MAJOR performance from a pistol that shoots as soft as a 9mm is pretty cool.

All in all, one of the Better Days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Glad to hear this! I'm going to shoot my M&P9 at the next IDPA match, once my Blackhawk CQC arrives.

Dear Mr. 98,

An interesting choice of holster. The Blackhawk CQC is the holster I used for my match.

I found that the retention device, the button you have to push to release the pistol, did not interfere with the speed of the draw. I did have some prior experience using the combination though, as I used the CQC in my Defensive Pistol Class.

Kind regards,

Steph

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the Blackhawk CQC holster when shooting at our club's steel plate shoot with my 1911 and it works very well. I kind of cheat, though. I wad up a chewing gum wrapper and place it under the "release" so it doesn't function. Hey, I'm an old guy and need all the help I can get

rjs

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have an BlackHawk CQC made for an XD that fits my M&P compact perfectly. I use it as my range holster, as well as the holster for my Handgun classes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really like the CQC holsters from Blackhawk...especially the Level 2 SERPA. The SERPA version is not a gimmick. It provides some security and it really lets you make a rapid draw while placing your trigger finger right where it needs to be. It is also one of the most reasonably priced holsters available. Overall it's one of the first accessories you should buy for your pistol whether it's a carry or competitive sidearm. However, I did notice that it sticks out farther from the belt than a traditional pancake holster so it is not made for concealed carry. If any of you are suspicious of "plastic" holsters go a gunstore that has a CQC display and check them out. Anyone out there have a bad experience with one? I doubt it...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've been using a CQC with my G17 for the last year or so during IDPA matches and have yet to experience a problem. I love these holsters as they are very well made. I can't seem to get in to the CompTac C-Tac variants and will stick with the CQC from Blackhawk. Besides, the holster that fits my G17 also fits my G19 and my G23. The holster that fits my G21, G30 and also fits my MP9, MP40 and my soon to have MP45. Two holsters for eight pistols, money well spent if you ask me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad to hear about the reliable M&P. Also glad to hear from all the CQC fans. I have one myself. For the value, you can't beat it: three cant options, paddle or belt loop hardware in the same package, very secure retention and intuitive release features. It's a home run. If/when I carry though, I think my body type (short and squat/fireplug), I think IWB/appendix carry will provide the most concealment. The Blackhawk doesn't seem to pull the grip in as tight, not on me anyway. Bad for tru CCW, but good for the close-enough 'concealment' of IDPA, which I can see myself getting into soon.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Blackhawk CQC is a strict range and IDPA holster. I own two CQC holsters - for the Glocks and for the M&Ps. As for CCW, I rely on DeSantis products (i.e. Cozy Partner IWB and the Nemesis for pocket carry). My M&Ps are stict range and "show off" guns.

I just put another 125 flawless rounds through my M&P 9 and another 50 through my M&P 40 (it started raining and I melt), wanted to put another 100 through the 40 but couldn't. I'm trying to gain confidence in the M&P 9 so that I can shoot it and trust it during an IDPA match. I currently shoot a G17 which is of course, boring and very reliable. My G17 has served me well over the year that I've owned it but I just love these M&Ps. If only I could decrease my split times on the M&P (I like and prefer stock so no Burwell recommendations). These pistols may someday serve as home defense and prefer little ammunition for the ambulance chasers among us.

Of the 125-rounds shot through the M&P 9 I also integrated some WWB. During my first outing with this pistol I experienced three FTExtract using this weapon. The WWB rounds that I shot yesterday performed fine and I made a deliberate rapid fire exercise on and IDPA target at 21-feet just to test the weapon with this ammunition (17-rounds, 4.77 seconds, -0). It perfomed flawlessly but my trust is still not with the WWB M&P 9 combination. A friend of mine was also shooting an M&P 9 and his functioned flawlessly with well over 100-rounds of WWB. Perhaps my issue was a simple break-in issue. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have seen so many finicky race guns at matches its hard to believe that people don't expect more out of their multi-thousand dollar setup. Not to mention some owners of those pistols who can't shoot. I prefer plain vanilla pistols for matches as I like to shoot what I carry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts