MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A follow up on the rust problem I posted about my week old M&P 40. I received the gun after 10 business days since they received it. The gun is back and all they did was replace the slide. So after paying $500 for a gun, having it covered in rust after one week of sitting in the house. All they did was replace the slide. So I covered it in Teflon gun oil, and will have to trade it in when I get a chance. I bought this gun to carry, and I have no confidence it is holding up to anything.

I know a lot of people have blamed this on me. I guess if setting a gun in a drawer clean/moisture free for one week is neglect, then oh well. I guess I am asking too much to think a gun should hold up to a little more extreme conditions. And for the guys that think guns require daily cleaning and expensive corrosion protection just so they don’t rust, then maybe they should find a new brand of gun manufacturer. I have other guns (Remington 870, colt 32 new police, savage mako 22, Winchester 300) and never had a rust problem.

As for Smith and Wesson service, I received the gun back with rust still on it (as seen in red circles). It was just wiped down and they replaced the slide. And it took them 10 business days to do that.

And for those keeping track this was posted on two sites.

:roll:

·
Registered
936 Posts
holy crap, rusty roll pins!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My 2 cents (or maybe 20)

Sorry to hear about the headache you have faced... I was able to identify some concern areas (major pores in certain areas) when I got my 9c and I babied that thing I used a significant amount of the weapon shield and cleaned it constantly that helped the issue but IMO there will always be a bad batch of everything you cannot fully count on Quality Control when human eyes are watching the product.. I am sure this has left a bad taste in your mouth and the 2,000 gun (experts) on this site who are quick to tell you its your fault do not consider all options.. There are a lot of people on this site who know what they are talking about and there are some that dont I will not classify myself into either group all I can say is do your research and count on your opinion for your conclusion.. Good luck with your future purchases even though they probably wont be M&P's still enjoy the sport..-Jason

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: My 2 cents (or maybe 20)

101Combat Vet

I will post what I replied with on another forum. But I agree with the things you said.

"After my initial post I have read many stories about the m&ps. And it seems that some rust no matter what you do, and other ones won't rust at all. With that said, I think Smith could have did better. They should have replaced every part that had rust on it. It would have been nothing for them to do that, and choosing not to will insure I never buy antoher gun from smith.

Like I said in my other post, for weeks I was torn between a lot of pistols. And in the $400-$600 range there are lots. If I would have know about this issue before, I would not have took a chance. I would have went with glock, cz, sig, ruger, or springfield. So I am just writing this to maybe give someone else with the same decision help. I am not saying don't buy an M&P, but be aware that it may rust no matter what you do, and don't expect smith to take care of you. Or it could not rust at all, and you will have a great gun."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I am in no way saying that the other guns would not rust, but it seems like the M&Ps have a serious QA issue. But if you get one that was finished correctly it would stand up as well as the others.

·
Registered
405 Posts
it's a great gun..I would call..talk to somebody else..express concerns to them and explain what happened and than get an email and send them the pics of how the gun was before and how you received it back..I'm sure they will get somebody to handle it more professionally as they should of the first time around.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would have the same concerns if my gun rusted like that, I have had it since they came out, mpa serial. I have no rust, clean it after i shoot, and wipe it down with a oiled rag. But before I worked at this job where I was robbed, I carried everyday at work, worked in a warehouse so it was extremely hot, and never saw any rust.

Maybe he just got a lemon, but I have been hearing alot of people having problems with their guns one way or another.

I personally only had a few problems, one was due to grip, I was holding down the slide lock lever causing it not to lock back after last shot.

The other was Fiocci rounds that would not feed for the life of me, no clue why.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I called again and voiced a formal complaint.

I got transferred to Jeff in customer service. He said my original slide was not finished properly from factory. He said the finish is done by salt bathing the slide, and when done incorrectly it will rust fast and can not be stopped. But if done right should not rust from water, sweat, or anything I did. He is sending another prepaid label to send the gun back in for the other items to be replaced. He said they should have never shipped it back with those items still having rust on them.

I went on to say I was unhappy about the whole situation, but after 10 minutes of complaining he said all they can do is just replace the rusty parts. He finished by saying to hold off for a couple of months to make sure no other parts rust, that way they can be replaced. Wow, that just build confidence.

So I don’t know what to say, but I am very unhappy with Smith and Wesson at this point. They admitted they sold me a gun with a defective finish. And said it was in no way my fault it rusted, but still refuse to go the extra step and replace the gun.

I guess when I get a chance I will send it back again. And wait again for 2 weeks without my gun.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
They explained their goof...which happens. They are willing to replace the parts. I'd be happy.

Nice to have the detailed explanation for why some pistols are rusting and most others aren't.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So they admitted your gun was defective, and they want to take care of you and replace all of the parts that rusted.

That's good.

And yet you're unhappy with this approach? Why?

You want them to replace the whole gun?

Are you worried the frame will rust?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
He received it back with rust still on it. That would concern and annoy me especially after having it such a short period of time. I would probably want a new pistol right off the assembly line. I would also probably buy a Glock after this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steelshooter said:
He received it back with rust still on it. That would concern and annoy me especially after having it such a short period of time. I would probably want a new pistol right off the assembly line. I would also probably buy a Glock after this.
I am buying a glock 31 next month, and I am waiting till i get that to send this in. That will give it a little time to rust if it is going to.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I am very happy with my M&P .40 btw and prefer it over Glocks which I have owned for many years. I'm just saying that at this point I would probably be frustrated enough to ditch M&P if i were this guy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm with jamesr on this one. Maybe it's a little trickier with guns because of registration/serial nos./etc., but why not try and win a customer back that is obviously ticked and send a new gun? To make the customer, that's already been without a just-purchased, +/- $500 item for weeks, wait a couple moremonths to see if anything else rusts??? Smith should do the waiting. Say "sorry you got a bad apple, but don't let it ruin the barrel. Here's a new one because we'd like you to keep shooting a M&P." Take the gun back, see for themselves if anything else rusts, fix everything and still get their cost out of it by selling it as a refurb with full factory warranty. When I was self-employed, my company served the public and if it wasn't the customer's fault, it was mine to fix, whether the problem was truly mine or whether it was my distributor's, or UPS's, or the mill's, etc. Admitting fault then being half-hearted about resolving it is lame. The explanation was a realistic one, and technical enough that most reasonable people would take an it's-okay-scheit-happens view and not make any gross inferences about Smith quality based on a small number of bad guns. But a bad experience posted on the internet trumps dozens of good ones, and even worse, it sways potential buyers into avoiding what is received by the overwhelming majority (including myself) as a fine, quality product. It's okay to lose a customer, but there's a right way to go about it. IMO, this wasn't the way.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Couldn't agree more. This is a firearm we are talking about here and people rightfully have high expectations. It is also pretty much a new entry on the market and there has already been too much bad press about issues. if I had to recommend a new pistol to someone or they asked my opinion of the M&P I would tell them how much I like mine a lot but to be aware some people have had rust, mag drop, slide not locking back, and trigger issues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the pins, slide stop and takedown lever are mild rather than stainless steel. I'm not sure about the sights. That might explain why those parts are more susceptible to oxidation after a salt bath, even with the finish job. I'd send it back ONCE more, explain that I wanted it rust-free when I got it back and that a couple of free mags wouldn't hurt matters. If it's not just exactly the way you want it when you get it back, I'd sell it, kick S&W to the curb and move on with my life.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The first time I carried my SIG 226 in a IWB holster on a hot summer day, it got lots of surface rust where it was exposed to my sweat. The rust did clean up nicely with an oily rag. My M&P 40C has yet to rust so its a keeper as my carry gun. If it were me, I would not ditch it for the Glock just yet, my bias against Glocks is they don't feel confortable in my hands which is why I have never owned one (but shot many). Beat S&W over the head on this one until they get it right. 1/2 azz job is not good enough for a defective item.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I bought my M&P new last Tuesday (yes 5 days ago). I broke it down and cleaned/lubed it Wednesday evening, and took it to the range for the first time. I had been following some of the "problematic" threads regarding the MP, but was hoping my would be okay, because this thing really shoots sweet.

Upon returning from the range Wednesday night, I broke the pistol down again and cleaned it. Then I wiped the entire slide assembly down with oil and the weapon slept on my night-stand. Thursday, I locked in it my Blackhawk serpa holster, and slid it down in my laptop bag. Thursday evening, I took it out and did some dryfiring, then wiped it down again with a slightly oiled cloth. Friday, same routine, and again wiped it down that night. Each night it's slept on top of my nightstand next to my bed.

Now yesterday (Saturday), I did transfer it to the hardshell case (with foam inside) for transport to my local gun shop (I don't have my ccw just yet, and so I didn't want to pack it into the store holstered). Anyway, it stayed in the case and in my car all day. Last night, I took it out of the case before getting ready for bed, only to find the rear sight eat up with surface rust! I also believe I saw some rust beginning to form on the serial number tag (although I could be paranoid now).

Needless to say, I was pissed! I stripped the weapon down again, cleaned it and oiled it. Then I practically SOAKED a rag in oil and oiled the crap out of the entire slide. Then I went back over it with a dry cloth just enough to make sure there was no "excess oil." The rust on the rear site appears to have wiped out without too much trouble. But now I'm concerned!

Anyway, I just wanted to add to this post and say that it appears rusting on some parts of the M&P might come easier than some of us might wish to believe. I'll post some updates myself if I have anymore rusting issues. And hopefully I won't have to ship off the S&W anytime soon...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would send it in, because yours seems to be one of the ones that are not finished correctly. Jeff said if the finish is not done right it will rust no matter what. And from your story, the steps you took no gun should have had rust on it.

I just bought my glock 31, it will arrive Friday. The dealer I bought it off of I told him the story about my M&P. He pulled out his carry gun as I was talking. It was a 10 year old glock 17. He said He has never put oil on the ouside of it, just on the moving parts inside. And let me tell you this gun looked beat up. He said it has been a year since he cleaned it. And he hunts, fishes, chops wood with it. He never leaves home with out it. He said he forgot it outside in the rain before. And he took it down and not one sign of rust anywhere.

So for everyone one that says guns need great care not to rust, you should expect more. A duty pistol should stand up to a lot of abuse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts