MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also am bothered by the sleeves on the Shield extended magazines. The best solution that I have found is the Talon grip tape. Talon sells the precut tape for the Shield extended mags for $1.99 or you can get a sheet of the DYI material and cut them your self. It helps to have at least one of the precut ones to use as a pattern for cutting your own. That said it was the best and most economical solution to hold the sleeve in place that I could find. You can find them here: Grip for S&W M&P Shield Extended Magazine

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I’ve never had any problems with the sleeves on any of my Shield 9 eight round mags.

I did have a small problem with the X-Grip sleeves made to go on the M&P 17 round mags that I carry for reloads for my 9c. They were slipping down a little when carried in the mag pouches made inside the cargo pockets of my pants and shorts. I put some blue painter’s tape around the mag tube just above the base, and slipped the X-Grips back on over the tape. They haven’t moved in several years now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although the Talon Grip Tape solved the (real or perceived) problem of the sliding sleeve for me, I have decided to just go with all 7 rounders. They make the gun slightly more concealable. With an extra mag in a mag pouch that gives me 15 rounds on my person including the one in the chamber. If I can't solve my problem with 15 rounds of 124 gr HST, I have left the house with the wrong gun.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Although the Talon Grip Tape solved the (real or perceived) problem of the sliding sleeve for me, I have decided to just go with all 7 rounders. They make the gun slightly more concealable. With an extra mag in a mag pouch that gives me 15 rounds on my person including the one in the chamber. If I can't solve my problem with 15 rounds of 124 gr HST, I have left the house with the wrong gun.
When I carry a single stack, I carry at least two reloads. Multiple threats at multiple hits per threat goes through some ammo quickly, and these days, I believe that most attacks involve more than one threat.

For example; I shoot the zipper (one abdominal shot from 1/2 hip, two COM shots from 3/4 hip, and one head shot from point-shoulder) which is four rounds total in right at a second and a half.

Why do you use the seven round mags for reloads? Like you; I load with a flush fit mag for carry, but then carry higher capacity mags for reloads.

Last week I had to take someone to Tampa. For the trip, I carried a 9c loaded 12+1, and carried two 17 round mags with X-Grips for reloads. I also had my 12 gauge Shock Wave just under the back seat.

I only carry my PC Shield when my back’s out really bad. Otherwise, it’s a high-cap M&P, or a 1911 for my EDC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why do you use the seven round mags for reloads?
That is a good question that I do not have a good answer for. For no reason other than consistency. If I feel that I need more capacity, I carry a Glock 19. Turns out that I never feel that way and the Glock sits in the nightstand with a TLR-7 light attached to the rail. I just don't feel undergunned with the Shield with a 7 round magazine.

Edit: And if I am near my truck, I always have an assortment of lethal instruments handy. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I simply put a dab of clear silicone glue a 1/2" up from the bottom and slid the sleeve down over it.
Once it dried, no more slip. If I ever need to remove the sleeve, the silicone will release with minimal mess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I simply put a dab of clear silicone glue a 1/2" up from the bottom and slid the sleeve down over it.
Once it dried, no more slip. If I ever need to remove the sleeve, the silicone will release with minimal mess.
I followed this advice, problem solved! Thanks, I had never considered doing that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can still leave the house with the wrong gun carrying just 15 rounds but the best thing is to avoid as many places as possible where you even need to use the gun. I know nowadays you never know, but.🤣

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve never had any problems with the sleeves on any of my Shield 9 eight round mags.

I did have a small problem with the X-Grip sleeves made to go on the M&P 17 round mags that I carry for reloads for my 9c. They were slipping down a little when carried in the mag pouches made inside the cargo pockets of my pants and shorts. I put some blue painter’s tape around the mag tube just above the base, and slipped the X-Grips back on over the tape. They haven’t moved in several years now.
"Necessity is the mother of invention".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts