MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the .45 model w/ thumb safety, as I like how this works on my 1911. In my first range visit, I noticed that I could comfortably hold my thumb under the safety along the slide and shoot with no problems. But today in my 2nd visit, I had one instance of recoil forcing my thumb up and activating the safety.

So, does everybody shoot with a thumb over safety grip to make sure this doesn't happen? I will add I do use that grip on my 1911, but the M&P thumb safety is positioned slightly different.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't have the M&P .45, let alone with a thumb safety, but with my 1911 I let my thumb ride the safety so as to avoid what you had happen.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't have big hands (sz med glove) so it hasn't been an issue for me. My thumb rides the indent between the mag release and the thumb safety and I take advantage of it to snick on the safety when I want it on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I ride the thumb safety just as I would with a 1911. Riding on top of the thumb safety also eliminates the issue of unintentionally activating the safety while shooting, and it also keeps my thumb away from the slide stop lever which I have the tendency to hold down when using my preferred "high thumbs forward" grip, which causes the slide not to lock back on an empty magazine. Riding the thumb safety also seems to help me control the pistol better by applying a moderate amount of downward pressure onto the thumb safety.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thumb on top of safety and support hand using thumb forward. This gives max recoil control and prevents accidental safety/slide lock activation/de-activation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts