MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Three days ago I purchased my first S&W pistol based on months of online research and going out and holding different models. I ended up purchasing a PERFORMANCE CENTER®️ M&P®️9 M2.0™️ C.O.R.E. PRO SERIES®️ 5" BARREL
What I failed to notice after purchasing this weapon is that the rounds that I purchased may or may not be used in any S&W product. I purchased some +M 9mm NATO 185 grain rounds. Almost everywhere that I’ve looked, folks are saying that any round that is +P or greater is like the forbidden fruit of rounds for any S&W weapon. Is this true? Because surely a company like S&W which world renown for hand weapons didn’t make a weapon that is supposedly made for Military & Police and cannot live up to its claims. I was told to buy a Glock if I wanted to use +P, +P+ or higher like these types of rounds. I understand that the SAMMI rating doesn’t have any info on anything above +P+ such as +M. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings all. Three days ago I purchased my first S&W pistol based on months of online research and going out and holding different models. I ended up purchasing a PERFORMANCE CENTER️ M&P️9 M2.0™️ C.O.R.E. PRO SERIES️ 5" BARREL
What I failed to notice after purchasing this weapon is that the rounds that I purchased may or may not be used in any S&W product. I purchased some +M 9mm NATO 185 grain rounds. Almost everywhere that I’ve looked, folks are saying that any round that is +P or greater is like the forbidden fruit of rounds for any S&W weapon. Is this true? Because surely a company like S&W which world renown for hand weapons didn’t make a weapon that is supposedly made for Military & Police and cannot live up to its claims. I was told to buy a Glock if I wanted to use +P, +P+ or higher like these types of rounds. I understand that the SAMMI rating doesn’t have any info on anything above +P+ such as +M. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

High velocity and heavy Bullets usually don’t go together. Personally I don’t purchase gimmicky ammo. Save your money and shoot “normal” 9mm ammo, ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Site Staff
9,583 Posts
Avoid that kind of junk ammo like the plague. I wouldn't shoot that out of any gun. If you can return it, I recommend you do so, if not mark it up to lessons learned

Stick with the major brands, they have gone to a lot of research to come up with good reliable ammo.

LOOK AT THE TACKED POSTS AT THE TOP OF THE AMMO FORUM FOR GOOD SOLID INFO , NOT THE JUNKY OVERPRICED STUFF THEY TRY TO FOIST OFF ON UNSUSPECTING SHOOTERS.
https://mp-pistol.com/mp-ammunition/

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't buy gimmick ammo either. Buy what you know works and be happy, the stuff you pictured I've never heard of but I bet the seller claims it is better than any other product.
As for +P I run it in a shield as carry ammo but that isn't what is fed normally. Carry ammo in a shield might get a mag a year shot.
I run 147 grain HST in my full size M&P with no issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've never heard of a 185 grain 9mm bullet. I googled it, and it had favorable remarks. Showed it's velocity out of a five inch barreled pistol at 905 fps. That gives it 336 ft lbs of energy. That's a little low, but it did penetrate and expand well in ballistics gel. I fire Speer Gold Dot 124 grain plus and the same in HST in my 2.0 compact regularly. Those rounds get about 400 ft lbs of energy. I would absolutely shoot that Seismic ammo you got though - Your M&P can certainly shoot Plus P ammo. See if it functions well. I would use another brand for self defense myself, but I wouldn't throw that ammo away by any means. See if it functions, if it does, store it for possibly some day you have nothing else to use. I base my opinion on this review.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ammo-review-seismic-ammo-185gr-m-9mm/

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm thinking that the bullets alone (weight anyway) can be had by telling a caster to use .38/.357 bullets and just size them for 9mm. I've been shooting 160 grain bullets in competition for a few years now by doing that. The benefits for me is extremely low recoil. Too, I'm not pushing velocity, my target is just over 800 fps for a butterfly fart load that just makes minimum power factor.

OK, problems... Not all brass is built to accept a longer than standard bullet. I see that company is using some sort of hybrid brass. I always case gauge all of my ammo and the reject rate from bulged brass is much higher than if I would use bullets considered standard for 9mm. Standard loads give pretty close to 100% pass rate when case gauged.

Those loads seem to be an awful lot of work to go through. I assume there is some sort of benefit. Would they be my first choice? No. I'd want something proven on the street for a SD load. Heck, I use federal go'vermin LEO overruns so as not to have issues if it ever gets used for the intended target.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have several 50 rd. boxes of Winchester plus P plus 9mm 127 gr. ammo. I only have one 17 rd. mag loaded with them. The rest of it is collecting dust in my gun vault.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts