MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody notice on their 45's the front of the frame flexing a bit downward? put my tac-light on mine last night and noticed the lower spot of illumination as compared to my duty glock. upon closer look-see (that's a southern word ya know..) it appears the front of the frame sort of flexes a bit downward...maybe just my imagination i dont know, but i checked my M&P 9mm and it has the same characteristic, just less so....

tia...

·
Registered
47 Posts
The dustcover of the 45's does angle downward. The only reason I can see for this is to offset frame flex during recoil.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The dustcover is level. The front bottom edge of the 45's slide is beveled upward, causing the optical illusion that the dust cover is sagging. That is all there is to it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
nickdrak said:
The dustcover is level. The front bottom edge of the 45's slide is beveled upward, causing the optical illusion that the dust cover is sagging. That is all there is to it.

Putting a straight edge on both the frame and slide my dustcover angles down. My slide is not beveled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
nickdrak said:
I don't know why you keep saying that. It's just not true.

·
Registered
298 Posts
10mm Sonny said:
[quote name='nickdrak']The dustcover is level. The front bottom edge of the 45's slide is beveled upward, causing the optical illusion that the dust cover is sagging. That is all there is to it.
I don't know why you keep saying that. It's just not true.[/quote]

You are right! I stand corrected here guys, sorry for the bad info. The optical illusion was happening with my eyes. The bottom edge of the slide is straight, the top edge of the frame near the dust cover is not straight.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The frame "droop" is due to the cooling process after the molding of the frames. It is being addressed. It has caused a problem with the laser and light combos not having enough adjustment. It is a small issue the does not effect the function of durability of the gun.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great information Bowie.

That is really what I was hoping for. ie. That the "droop" was not designed that way and that it will see a fix in the near future.

I have been eyeing the M&P 45's but for a few issues that it looks like they are about to clean up I will wait and see. Has potential to be the best fighting handgun design I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Folks I have two of the 45's one is my duty gun and the other is my primary teaching gun. I can say after 20+ years in this areana that it is one of the best guns yet. The reliability of mine have 100% after many rounds and the accuracy is borderline match grade.

I would not and have not hesitated to stand behind one when my and others lives are on the line.

CHECK 360 David Bowie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bowie Tactical said:
The frame "droop" is due to the cooling process after the molding of the frames. It is being addressed. It has caused a problem with the laser and light combos not having enough adjustment. It is a small issue the does not effect the function of durability of the gun.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

David, I use a light and plan on using a CT lasergrip when available. Can you tell me if the flex issue when addressed will be a fix for those who want it fixed? For example will frames be replaced? I am very happy with the trigger job you did for me and the gun shoots fine. But if there is a fix in the works I'd like in on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
az larry said:
[quote name='Bowie Tactical']The frame "droop" is due to the cooling process after the molding of the frames. It is being addressed. It has caused a problem with the laser and light combos not having enough adjustment. It is a small issue the does not effect the function of durability of the gun.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

David, I use a light and plan on using a CT lasergrip when available. Can you tell me if the flex issue when addressed will be a fix for those who want it fixed? For example will frames be replaced? I am very happy with the trigger job you did for me and the gun shoots fine. But if there is a fix in the works I'd like in on it.

Thanks![/quote]

I'd like to know the answer to that question as well.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I can't answere that question. Not my place to as to the fix or replacement. I don't see the need to replace . The frame droop means nothing really. It has nothing to do with most lights. One of my M&P 45's wears a X200 all the time for duty and no problems with the light iluminating the bad guy at all. I have quite a few bad guys that can testify to that. It has no relationship to function either. As to the CTC grip it will have no effect on it because the only frame droop is at the dust cover and has nothing to do with the grip.

We are making a big deal out of nothing. Unless you are using one of the laser light combos at a long distance it just does not matter.

CHECK 360

David Bowie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Dave, I asked because I thought that you intimated there would be an issue with the light and laser. I run an X200 as well and plan on running a CTC grip. I certainly trust your opinion that it won't be an issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Talk about reviving an "old thread" . I just did a search on this topic and this thread came up.

I was wiping my .45 off tonight and noticed this very same thing. The front of the frame sags down a bit. It's less 3 months old (from purchase in late 2012).

This old thread said Smith was addressing this issue?

So my question is:

Is this an issue?

The gun shoots fine so I'd like to know if this is an early warning of an impending issue down the road.

thanks to all responders in advance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts