MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts about it for EDC? A friend of mine keeps her nightstand weapon loaded with it out of concern for over penetration since she lives in an apartment complex. I picked up a box of Hevi Shot 100gr in 9mm just to see how it performs in my Shield.

The box labeling states "lethal for personal defense" but in reality any ammo is with the correct shot placement. Curious what others experience with it may be.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Absolutely useless if your intent is to stop an attacker, even with perfect COM shot placement, unless the attacker is a small bird at extremely close range (swatting distance).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The use of frangible ammunition depends on one's perspective, generally the adage being it is better to give than receive.

I myself, and most others, would not want to be shot by any frangible ammo; it is available in pistol and rifle calibers.

Depending on manufacturer, frangibles as a class, are powdered matrices of either tin, copper, tungsten or hard polymers; a whole lot worse than Simmunitions if you have ever had a chance to experience them !

Glaser may be the most familiar available civilian brand name.

Like any personal ammunition choice, there is a ledger sheet of merits and demerits to consider. A partial evaluation includes,

Advantages:
1. Forensically, no identifying rifling marks on the terminal impact projectiles.
2. Virtually no chance of down range significant ricochet collateral injury to bystanders which may be desirable in public, any CQB situation with over-penetration to other individuals e.g. aircraft , narrow ship board passage ways, nuclear power plants etc.

Disadvantages:
1. As a class of ammunition, they do not penetrate barriers well; low level body armor, heavy clothing, first round contact with tempered glass of vehicle side windows and laminated windshields or sheet metal (if the BG is sequestered in the trunk, however it would hard to justify "fearing for your life")
2. At near contact range if your intent is to cause immediate incapacitation of the perpetrator, your continued point of aim better be the targets' ear canal, mouth, nose or eye socket.
3. For practice, it is more expensive per round than normal self-defense ammunition

With exceptions, LEO's generally don't employ frangible ammo, but they are also generally protected by qualified and / or sovereign immunity; common civilians will not have that luxury; federal air marshals have different concerns when terminal projectile ballistics that may involve the skin of the aircraft fuselage or over-penetration to the person in an adjacent first class seat.

Terminal ballistics are only important if a target is actually engaged with the projectile, just last week 65 rounds of most likely the best available defense ammunition down range with zero contact and no accountability of risk.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/01/san-francisco-cops-fire-65-shots-in-15-seconds-at-murder-suspect-in-dramatic-video.html

A determined perpetrator or an individual on certain drugs must be incapacitated by means of immediate anatomic intervention. It is also true that most assailants are not committed to suicide and will turn away at real or threatened gunfire; sheep dog v. pseudo-wolves.

Anyone interested in the anatomy and physiology of the variants and requisites of human incapacitation by gunshot wound, I authored this article several years ago. The article is based on decades of personal surgical experience in civilian and military theaters.

A well-placed path of least resistance bullet trajectory to the human brain does not require penetration of difficult barriers for frangible ammunition or small caliber i.e. .22 caliber munitions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p916y3b6wel6fst/GSW Immdediate Incapacitation 2016 copy.pdf?dl=0

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What are your thoughts about it for EDC? A friend of mine keeps her nightstand weapon loaded with it out of concern for over penetration since she lives in an apartment complex. I picked up a box of Hevi Shot 100gr in 9mm just to see how it performs in my Shield.

The box labeling states "lethal for personal defense" but in reality any ammo is with the correct shot placement. Curious what others experience with it may be.
Stick to something like the Federal 124gr HST, it just works.
Leave the frangible stuff for the rodents, unless your just looking to piss off the bad guy.

Just my opinion, i`m not the expert here. Carry whatever makes you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also consider Hornady Critical Defense. Designed for smaller pistols like the Shield and not to over penetrate or meet the FBI barrier requirements like Hornady Critical Duty.

There was a pretty awesome frangible rifle round at one time comprised of tungsten but when it when to pistol calibers just didnt have the velocity or RPMs needed to make it effective.

In my experience most frangible ammo has to hit something pretty hard like steel, concrete or marble to open and disburse. Typically, passes through most construction materials.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Also consider Hornady Critical Defense. Designed for smaller pistols like the Shield and not to over penetrate or meet the FBI barrier requirements like Hornady Critical Duty.

There was a pretty awesome frangible rifle round at one time comprised of tungsten but when it when to pistol calibers just didnt have the velocity or RPMs needed to make it effective.

In my experience most frangible ammo has to hit something pretty hard like steel, concrete or marble to open and disburse. Typically, passes through most construction materials.
When i can`t find the Fed HST`s, Hornady Critical Defense works decent.
I`ve tried the critical duty rounds, not a favorite of mine, but it is better than throwing rocks.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm not taking a side. I'm an old fart and I'm known to be resistant to change. But I had to know more, something else that I'm known for.

Ballistic Gel testing begins at 10:00 in. I was actually surprised by all of it. The first is sinterfire ammo. I wish he had tested the .223/5.56 in gel.

Yet another. This begins at the relevant gel test. If I understood correctly this ammo is made with Sinterfire bullets.
https://youtu.be/S5Vebzb6A9o?t=183

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
To quote the great Clint Smith, "I've never been attacked by a block of gelatin, so I don't worry about what it does to a block of jelly. I worry about what it does to this ******* down the hallway who's trying to stab me with a big knife. And if I shoot him and he keeps coming, I should do what? Worry about jelly? Or...? Shoot him again...and again, and again, and again, and repeat as required until what I want to happen, happens."

·
Registered
6 Posts
To quote the great Clint Smith, "I've never been attacked by a block of gelatin, so I don't worry about what it does to a block of jelly. I worry about what it does to this ******* down the hallway who's trying to stab me with a big knife. And if I shoot him and he keeps coming, I should do what? Worry about jelly? Or...? Shoot him again...and again, and again, and again, and repeat as required until what I want to happen, happens."

Lol

https://youtu.be/H9TAuEqiRqA

Put a couple of these rounds into a attractor.. I don't think that they will continue with much of anything.

It won't stop going through walls with a errant shot, but if you are shooting something that will, it won't do what you want it to do in the first place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts