MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum yada yada yada

I do not have an m&p yet, unless something changes, a brand new .40 will be mine on sept 16 (GUN SHOW AT THE CIVIC CENTER------WOOOOT!)

I have a concern, though, with all the "great" free stuff and mags deal, etc. that smith and wesson offers. Not too long ago there was a large row about S&W and the clinton administration, i think, that involved S&W offering all the info they had on gun owners. If im a little off, i apologize, I have only heard bits and pieces. What has happened now? I heard the company changed hands, but i also heard that the new people are going to stand by all the old S&W's assertions,etc. If this is true, i am giong to rethink my smith and wesson purchase. This pertains to the free stuff because I am thinking that it would not be smart to send in your serial number in order to get your $80's of magazines. Can anyone that knows a little more about this help me out?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome to the site... When you pick you new weapon up you will still have under go a background investigation from a FFL, therefore registering the weapon. Until then you shouldn't have any serial numbers, so how would you be entitled to any freebies that are currently offered and expire prior to September. Or, unless S&W extend there freebie offer which they probably will...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think what he is talking about is this..

http://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/New/html/20000317_2.html

But that was when S&W was owned by a British company, Tomkins PLC. S&W is now 100% American owned.. The new owner refuses to honor that agreement..

One of the agreements was this...

"Large capacity magazines. New firearms will not be able to accept ammunition magazines with a capacity of over 10 rounds. The manufacture of such magazines has been prohibited since 1994."

But the 17rd mags and the 15rd mags in the M&P says.. "HELL NO" to that agreement.. S&W is back.. And back with a vengeance..

I would buy that M&P.. Get about 500rds of ammo for it at the gun show and go have fun at the range..

And keep us posted on how well you like it.. And more then likely, S&W will extend it's free range bag offer.. Not sure about the mag offer..

Ben

·
Registered
191 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum.

ClosetCaseNerd said:
Beyond me not buying it that they "turn in their customers", I have to point out that you register your weapons dont you? (unless AZ)....

Most states or cities don't require registration. Minnesota does not allow cities to intact laws banning or registration of firearms unlike some states. So enjoy your new gun when you get it in September.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
As mentioned above the deal with the Clinton Administration was when S&W was under foreign ownership, it would be ridiculous to hold that against the current ownership, particularly when you look at how the current owners of S&W have turned it around. S&W is growing by leaps and bounds, lots of new products and making a profit for their investors, this is a Win-Win situation no matter how you look at it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks.

I didnt know much about the situation, I just knew that many gun owners were boycotting S&W at the time b/c of those reasons and i had never heard if anything had changed. I am looking forward to my first pistol.

once again, thank you every one!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I was boycotting S&W over the clinton agreement.

They changed hands a couple of times since then. Never touched one of their guns until after they publicly siad they would no longer be bound by it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
Welcome to the site... When you pick you new weapon up you will still have under go a background investigation from a FFL, therefore registering the weapon. Until then you shouldn't have any serial numbers, so how would you be entitled to any freebies that are currently offered and expire prior to September. Or, unless S&W extend there freebie offer which they probably will...

Form 4473 doesn't mean its registered (at least not in every state), its simply for the background check and record keeping. The gun can be traced back to you, but its not automatically registered to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Form 4473 doesn't mean its registered (at least not in every state), its simply for the background check and record keeping. The gun can be traced back to you, but its not automatically registered to you.

I was wondering about that. In FL, i know we have to have the background check/waiting period thing, but as far as i knew you didnt have to register- I thouhgt we were still fighting to keep that from happening. Thanks for clearing that up
It is still retarded, however, that "they" can trace the gun back to you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
They can also trace your car and most likely any other major purchase back to you. Nobody ever considers the other forms of tracing property, it isn't just firearms. Our privacy is a thing of the past. The only way to remain anonymous in this new technology world is to constantly wear your tinfoil hat and never leave the house. In the rare occurrence of leaving the house, be sure to employ proper mall ninja tactics or you'll be spotted and in a worse case scenario, IDENTIFIED. :roll: And always remember, the "man" is watching all of us!!

I also bought into the S&W boycott when they "sold out," but once I seen a decent product that I wanted, I bought it. As a matter of fact, I've bought three S&W's this year. I could care less what S&W gives the government, when you go through NICS they already have the information with the exception of make and serial number. They already know how many rifles, shotguns, and pistols you own.

·
Registered
206 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
I could care less what S&W gives the government, when you go through NICS they already have the information with the exception of make and serial number. They already know how many rifles, shotguns, and pistols you own.

That is so true.. The only guns untraceable are ones that you inherit. Like the guns my uncles inherited from my grandfather and my great uncles.. Bought when you didn't have to do a background check or fill out paperwork.. Just walk into the hardware store, pick what you like, plop down the cash, and walk out.. Ah, the days.. LOL..

Ben

1 - 13 of 13 Posts