MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My friend Michelle and one of her good friends was robbed at gun point this past weekend. I'll just paste what she wrote:

Audilove said:
So basically heres the story:

it happened at 12 midnight last night at university house, I was with my best friend Nick just taking out the trash along with walking me to my car, the trash was right next to his apt and so was my car, he walked across the rd and i held back b/c there was a car, the driver waved me on so i crossed to meet up w/ nick then the car just stayed there and we walked behind it and as soon as we were at the back of it the passenger jumped out pointing a gun at my face and i instinctively ran behind a parked car to get away from him as a he lunged for me yelling at me to give him my purse, I ran behind a tree and as my back was turned he grabbed my friend and put the gun to his back, as I was running towards the tree i grabbed my wallet and cell phone and threw it behind the tree, he saw me throw something and I said just my phone, then he made me slide him my purse then he made me find the phone and he held my friend, i found it then slid it to him, then he told me to go inside andi said im not going anywhere till u let him go and he said ill let him go when u go inside and i was said let him go now and he moved towards the car and we ran inside and called 911. I filed a police report but I know I won't get my phone back or anything. all they got was a fake burberry purse and a cell phone that I deactivated as soon as I got home.

I hate this town.

So my question to you is if you were carrying, would this justify a shoot? My first gut reaction would be that, if I had the chance to dive behind a car for cover and draw, and he did in fact come after me with the gun (leaving my friend out of harms way) Then yes, I would have shot. Now of course i don't know how fast this all happened and what not. but If I were able to get behind that car or tree like she did with the chance to draw in the process, and make the shot as he came around the car, then I would have fired.

What do you guys think? I know it's not a lot of information to work with, but i just wanted some other opinions b/c I know it's very consequential to draw your weapon if it isn't the exactly correct circumstance.

-Cameron

·
Registered
119 Posts
If a weapon is pointed at me, its a threat with intent, and I will reply accordingly. Now if the same happened in a crowded area, i might think twice, as I would not want to escalate a situation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Angry_American said:
If a weapon is pointed at me, its a threat with intent, and I will reply accordingly. Now if the same happened in a crowded area, i might think twice, as I would not want to escalate a situation.

+1. What city was this in?

·
Registered
191 Posts
A couple of things they did well were:

1. They had a throw away purse

2. They moved for cover

3. They kept their head

Some things that would have helped:

1. Don't take the garbage out at midnight in a dark alley

2. Be armed with the ability to shoot at them

3. Have a flash light in your hand

If your behind the curve...

I would be armed of course but would have pulled my carry piece as soon as I hit hard cover (because moving to hard cover was very important). Start calling 911 via my preprogramed 911 using one digit (9 and hold). If they would move toward me around the hard cover, I would start shooting.

If your ahead of the curve...

I would already have the gun in my hand and if a door opened in a strange car I would bring my gun up to low ready and move to hard cover. Call 911, and shoot if necessary. Note: A flash light is very important to carry and I use it all the time.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Angry_American said:

Right on I would have called the police and the coroner at the same time

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here in Florida, it appears that you would be justified in shooting the attacker in the situation as described. That would be covered in the “Stand your ground” law, which states that you may “meet force with force”, with no duty to retreat from any public area which you are lawfully occupying, that is as long as the attack is in progress, as it is usually not not legally justifiable to shoot a fleeing felon, except in special cases. Note that an armed bystander would have also been justified in shooting the perp under the same law. The attacker was committing the forcible felony of robbery with a firearm, which in this state qualifies the robber to receive the consolation prize of several rounds of Winchester 127 gr. +p+ (my favorite), or a similar prize of your choice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This occurred in Orlando Florida in the parking lot of an apt complex right beside UCF.

not exactly a dark alley since it was lit up and usually frequented by students at all hours.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Angry_American said:
+1. If the gun was pointed at me and I had cover I would have definitely shot. Of course I would have to sure no one is in the way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Stranded in Daytona said:
Hey guys,

What do you guys think? I know it's not a lot of information to work with, but i just wanted some other opinions b/c I know it's very consequential to draw your weapon if it isn't the exactly correct circumstance.

If someone jumped out at me with a gun, I think it's reasonable to think your life is in immediate danger, so I would have popped him with a double tap.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That sucks. Glad your friends came away unhurt. The situation would have justified a shoot; although a VERY dangerous one, because you would have been WAAAAAAY behind the curve. This is a great example of how doing seemingly routine things can turn ugly, and a reinforcement of how important situational awareness really is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is tuff for me. If I had hard cover I wouldn't hold back, but my friend had a gun to their back, I wouldn't risk their life.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Tough one, but glad they came out safe. There's a lot of situational awareness lessons to be learned, but primary one is not to pass too close to a strange car late at night. The fact that it stopped to allow passage is not odd, but the fact it didn't move after they cleared it is a bell-ringer.

The "hostage" might have been able to reach cover with a few more steps lead.

Be armed, and practiced. This could have well been a double homicide if the BG simply gunned them both down as he exited the vehicle. Awareness would have put them on guard, and the moment the door opened would have been enough to prepare to clear the cover garment.

Hindsight is 20/20, though. Like I said, I'm glad they're okay. It's never nice to hear of someone getting robbed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here in South Carolina.. If a person pulls a gun out to rob you or someone you can see.. You have the right to pull your weapon to defend yourself.. I love South Carolina..

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to Florida Law you would have been justified to shoot and kill 'em... You would be protecting yourself or another from the threat of death or great bodily harm. I guarantee you no state attorney would bring charges against you once they found out the whole story, and no police department would arrest you once all the info was given.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree that situational awareness would have given them the opportunity to make this go down in a very different way - or better yet, not at all. It's tough to be on red alert at all times though... especially when you're in college and your mind is happily on more whimsical matters (God, I miss college!), and you're just trying to take out the damn trash.

That being said, it's frustrating that in a lot of states in this country, defending yourself w/ a CCW in a situation like this would not be lawful. :?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts