MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to smooth the edges of my M&P 40 front sight because it is removing kydex every time I draw it from the holster. I have a dremel I was just going to polish the edges to round them up a bit. I am mostly concerned about the finish as I think it would not be good to have any bare metal glaring in the sight picture. Does anyone Know of any products that I could touch it up with?

·
Registered
936 Posts
who made your holster?

Doesn't some like it was properly formed.

If I were you, I would leave it as is ans allow the sight to carve out the kydex until its properly relieved.

Another possibility is if the holster is moving during the draw, it may be catching the sight up becasue the holster is torquing; you want that bad boy to stay put. A proper gun belt would be the ticket.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
To follow what Mike said ... first, you don't want rounded edges on your front sight. The crisp edge of your front sight is what you use for precision marksmanship. Second, it sounds like your holster isn't designed very well; you can either just let the sight do its damage until things reach equilibrium or you can go back to the holster maker with your concerns.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The holster is an uncle mikes kydex paddle it was made for a glk 20/21. I mainly bought it for my mp 45 it seems to also fit my 40 very well. I don't have a problem w/ the 45 because it has a hiviz FO front sight that has no sharp edges. The hoster does not seem to move when drawing if I snug the belt up.

Im looking into shooting some IDPA matches next year. The Prado shooting range in so cal is near me and they have matches twice a month. Should I watch an event or two before entering? Any advise would be greatly appriciated. Would I be at a big disadvantage using my 45 in SSP?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
rlm -- I haven't tried an M&P40 in a G21 Uncle Mike's kydex holster, but if I had to guess I'd say the gun probably isn't fitting properly and it's allowing some front-to-back torque as you draw. This is how the sight gouges the inside of the holster.

If you're going to shoot a .45, I think you'd be better off in CDP for IDPA. Everyone will be shooting the same caliber as you. In SSP, you'll be up against people with 9mm pistols that will have less recoil and (all else being equal) faster followup.

Also, I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the Uncle Mike's kydex holster is illegal for IDPA because it sits too far away from the body or something like that.

·
Registered
936 Posts
UM holsters arent kydex, theyre plastic.

With all respect; Uncle Mike's is a decent range holster, but you have a quality firearm, so get a model specific Kydex holster from Bladetech, Comp-tac, or Kytac, and youll know what a "well-fit" holster really is.

I could mount a razor blade as a front sight on my kytac owb and it wouldnt touch anything on the draw.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. Uncle Mike's has just produced a m&p specific holster and dual mag pouch. Their holsters are indeed Kydex and the belt model is ok for IDPA. The paddle model would probably work according to the IDPA rule of having the gun within 3/4" from the body. I do like the Bladetech and Comp-tac holsters, but after compairing the Bladetech and Uncle Mike's glk 20/21 holsters side by side they are practicaly indentical. The UM holster and dual mag holder is 1/3 the price of the others. I am just going to do occasional matches just to become a better shooter and get away from just going to the range. Thanks again, RL

·
Registered
936 Posts
Glad to hear youve settled on a holster, good luck in your matches.

Not to be a poopy head, UM's holsters arent kydex.

Kydex cant be "injection-molded" like it says on UM's website.

Not sure how theyre getting away with that.

http://www.kydex.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts