MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front sight i tiny bit off to right - there for i consistantly shoots about inch to the left at 15yrds.

what kind of tool do i need to move the sight? Guy i know with XD tells me moving front sight can be pain. and i'd be better off taking it to smith - But smith is the one put this night sight little off to the right in the first place....

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
The front sight is a major pain to move, requires a soild vice, punch/drift, and a BFH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
With all the LE agencies buying M&Ps, I can't believe they still don't make a sight adjustment tool! :!: It's not like they're complicated to design, and everyone in the industry vendors it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats BFH?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
45guy said:
Moving the front sight to the left will make it shoot further to the left.


Moving the rear sight adjusts POA in the same direction.

Moving the front sight adjusts POA in the opposite direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ToddG said:
[quote name='45guy']Moving the front sight to the left will make it shoot further to the left.


Moving the rear sight adjusts POA in the same direction.

Moving the front sight adjusts POA in the opposite direction.[/quote]



Wait now you got me all confused!

This is what I figure.



Red line is trejectry. and blue is line of aim.

With my M&P, its like first one on top. So i move my front sight to left should line up my sight and actual trejectory right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
ToddG said:
Moving the rear sight adjusts POA in the same direction.

Moving the front sight adjusts POA in the opposite direction.


mity2 said:
So i move my front sight to left should line up my sight and actual trejectory right?
Correct. If you are hitting to the left, moving your front sight to the left will move the impact to the right, the opposite direction that you moved the front sight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
How did you determine that your shots are all left and that the sight is the problem?. By that I mean how are you shooting the target - freestyle at a target, strong hand or weak hand?



If that is the case you may want to try to shoot it off of some sort of rest such as sandbags or a pistol rest to try to determine the weapon's zero point. The point is to try to remove as much of the human element of error from the equation.



Using a rest and a target at 10 - 15 yards will tell you a lot if you take the time to deliberately line up each and every shot. You can still flinch and pull a shot off target from a rest too - take your time and try to repeat the sight alignment for each shot.



Remember front sight clear & aligned in the notch - target fuzzy - slowly press the trigger and the let the shot break surprise you each time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
45guy said:
I confess! Brain Fart


Dude, I have made that BF so many times I can't count. I've been known to stick up one finger of my left hand, two fingers of my right hand, and perform a mime act figuring it out in the middle of a class.



Yes, I can be quite impressive.




JBP55 -- "FORS" I have got to remember that! Thanks ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Throwin Lead said:
How did you determine that your shots are all left and that the sight is the problem?. By that I mean how are you shooting the target - freestyle at a target, strong hand or weak hand?



If that is the case you may want to try to shoot it off of some sort of rest such as sandbags or a pistol rest to try to determine the weapon's zero point. The point is to try to remove as much of the human element of error from the equation.


I bollowed my friend's Steady Point Handgun Rest to conferm.

with it, it shot about 2" off to the left with elevation right on. Shoot off hand, i shot about 1" off to the left, but elevation was off too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Your front sight might be off just a tad, but how does your rear sight look. It might be easier just to move the rear sight to the right just a bit. Which ever sight you decide to move, put a drop of oil in the sight channel and leave it sit for about fifteen minutes before you start to hammer. For non night sights I use a brass punch and a small hammer, if it doesn't move keep using a heavier hammer till it does. Some of the Smiths sights are a bear to get it to move initially. Alway have your punch situated at the bottom of the sight blade right above the dovetail to put the force where it is most needed.



Good luck.

Dennis
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top