MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a fiber sight from Speedshooters.. Question is.. which way to punch the front sight out ? left to right ? or right to left ?. or does it not matter ?.

Thanks.. really like the fiber sight and got my blade tech doh so now all i need is some more mags i'm ready to roll..

Jeff.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Be sure to punch on the base, and not the blade. The front sight is really tight and if you punch on the blade it might break.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well. .as it worked out

I've not had chance to work on it.. Regular work intervened the other night so it's not been changed.. I've read somewhere that it's in there pretty tight so i'm not going to be surprised if it take a little agressiveness to get it out, although i'm gonig to be VERY careful ..

I'll let you know.. Hopefully this won't be as hard as the one on my 1911... wow talk about stressing your patience..

Jeff.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok all done

Well.. i'm very glad it's done but i'm perty sure i'm not doing it again..

First things first.. the original sight was NEVER going to come loose through normal shooting.. I could have shot nothing but +p+ stuff and that thing was not coming out.. man..

Second thing, even though folks might tell you its drop in, chances are it's not.

Due to lot's of inexperience im sure this was way more difficult then it should be.. although the sight is in centered best i could with measuring and the ever faithful calibrate MK 1 Eyeball.

this sight is never coming out again either.. it's IN there.

Someone could explain the proper method of "fitting" the base.. where do you file / sand on the sight to make it slightly less then brute force tight..

It's in.. if your a adventurous kind of person give it a whirl.. you do need a vise, a rather large hammer and a nice punch... file's and smoothing substances and some blueing.

Jeff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
File a bit off the bottom of the sight portion that fits in the dovetail. File just enogh so that the sight starts to go into the dovetail. A brass/polymer punch can be used to get the sight in the rest of the way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the links

appreciate that.. hmm.. maybe a little more off the bottom would have been good.. I don't think i'll need loctite. :wink: now.. to go shoot.. of course can't do that till next weekend..

Jeff.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well

I did post this on the Full size forum.. but it's shoots 2-3 Hi at 20 yds off the bench.. That's with the sight picture of the top of the FO level with the top of the rear notch and the FO dot level with the two white dots of the rear sigth.

I used a rest on a bench so i'm pretty sure it was not me.. although i did find if i was using a more trigger finger i'd pull the shots right

Strangley though i did order the same size sight as the Factory sight ? i had to fit it some to get it into the slide without hammering the living crap out of it though could that very little bit make a 2-3" difference ?

bullet wieght was 115 wwb.. planning on shooting 147's though.

Thanks for any suggestions.. i may just leave it this way as i hate to pop another 40 for another sigth..

Jeff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You adequately described your sight alignment process, but I was less clear regarding sight picture. Are you placing FO dot on intended POI or the top edge of the FO front sight blade? Generally speaking, dots/FO/Tritium inserts are all intended to facilitate rapid sight acquisition/alignment. The top edge of the FS is placed directly below POI. This will lower your POI if you were placing the dot on POI. Otherwise, you would need a heavier bullet weight (as you mentioned) or taller FS. It also goes without saying that you should be setting your sights with the ammunition you intend to shoot on a regular basis and make mental corrections at times when shooting anything else. Undoubtedly, you will get many opinions/possible solutions. Try them all, or as many as practical, and go with what works best for yourself. Have fun and stay safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts