MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you modified the front sight to make it smaller? I'm considering a new FO sight, but the housing that surrounds the sight itself, is kinda like the stock sight...the block shape of it is to big IMO. I am thinking about rounding the square edges off to allow my eye to see the target better. Anyone mess with this at all? If so, any opinions on if it made things better or worse? :wink:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just order a custom narrowed FO from Speedshooters. I wouldn't recommend rounding off the edges, you use those in relation to the corners of the rear sight to get a sharp sight picture even WITH the fiber optic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well problem is when I am target shooting, and at say 10 yards, I am having to aim high. I've been practice shooting with 115grain reload ammo from the local range shop. Most times I can group fairly well with their stuff, sometimes it's a bit inconsistant. I bought some different carry ammo a couple of weeks ago, (hollow point Black Hills 115 grain) and I haven't shot them yet to see if anything changes. So at the moment I don't really line up the square edges with anything because I'm normally having to aim a little high. At that distance I normally have to keep the center of my front sight at the top of the rear sight in order to hit where I want to hit. When I do that the square edges sometimes block my view a little so that was my reason for asking about rounding off the square edges.

Where can I view the Speedshooter FO for M&P's you were speaking of?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I filed mine to suit. If you do and don't like the end result new factory sights are available for very little money from Brownell's.

Try filing the rear to provide a wider opening. Use a pair of Calipers to keep the sides balanced.

When you tire of filing get some Birchwood bluing or equiv. from Wally World.

Enjoy your toy.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
MC said:
Well problem is when I am target shooting, and at say 10 yards, I am having to aim high. I've been practice shooting with 115grain reload ammo from the local range shop. Most times I can group fairly well with their stuff, sometimes it's a bit inconsistant. I bought some different carry ammo a couple of weeks ago, (hollow point Black Hills 115 grain) and I haven't shot them yet to see if anything changes. So at the moment I don't really line up the square edges with anything because I'm normally having to aim a little high. At that distance I normally have to keep the center of my front sight at the top of the rear sight in order to hit where I want to hit. When I do that the square edges sometimes block my view a little so that was my reason for asking about rounding off the square edges.

You are probably Muzzle dipping. Try shooting from a bench and sandbag rest. Many of us have done it but the cure is trigger control not sight adjustment. Get some snap caps and do a bunch of dry firing.

Good luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TOF said:
[quote name='MC']Well problem is when I am target shooting, and at say 10 yards, I am having to aim high. I've been practice shooting with 115grain reload ammo from the local range shop. Most times I can group fairly well with their stuff, sometimes it's a bit inconsistant. I bought some different carry ammo a couple of weeks ago, (hollow point Black Hills 115 grain) and I haven't shot them yet to see if anything changes. So at the moment I don't really line up the square edges with anything because I'm normally having to aim a little high. At that distance I normally have to keep the center of my front sight at the top of the rear sight in order to hit where I want to hit. When I do that the square edges sometimes block my view a little so that was my reason for asking about rounding off the square edges.

You are probably Muzzle dipping. Try shooting from a bench and sandbag rest. Many of us have done it but the cure is trigger control not sight adjustment. Get some snap caps and do a bunch of dry firing.

Good luck[/quote]

So your saying as I pull the trigger I am pulling the muzzle down, therefore to me I think I have to aim high. Hmm could be. What's the fix for this habit? I have done a trigger job so the trigger is much easier and I've been working on squeezing the trigger as oppose to pulling. Maybe I need to keep practicing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
MC said:
....at the moment I don't really line up the square edges with anything because I'm normally having to aim a little high.

Go here!

http://speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog...tegories=Sights

As far as not needing the edges/corners, if you're not using them you have no visual reference of where your shot is going vertically. If you line them up (using the edges) and shoot a group and note that they are 2" low and don't have any user induced problems then order or modify a sight to get point-of-aim at the distance you want to shoot. My sights are not the same at 10 yards vs 30 yards but by knowing where your shot is going at different distances (using the edges) than you'll know how much holdover you need at different distances.

You need to line up the sights and watch the edges as you break the shot the edges will tell you if you are dipping the gun - I imagine it would be difficult to see without that reference. I does sound like you are dipping the gun and compensating for it. It could be in anticipation of recoil or if you are low left it could be you are too heavy on the trigger.

That being said, its your gun...if you think rounding of the corners will help you go for it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am new to the Pistol side of firearms so all the advice I can get I listen to. I do have a tendancy to anticipate the recoil and that is what I am working on by trying to squeeze the trigger instead of pull, if I concentrate on the squeeze then I do anticipate the recoil as much. I will try a closer distance and line up the sights as you mentioned...see what it does at a closer range, and of course as you put the target further back your going to have to accomidate the muzzle for a longer distance and I understand that. So I get what your saying there. This is the reason I asked about this, I was kind of hoping someone would see the real problem here and get me straightened out.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
When you anticipate recoil you tend to push forward and "Muzzle Dip". Practicing with snap caps and dry firing generates muscle memory that excludes effect of recoil. It takes a while but practice can fix the problem. My M&P's are set to yield impact 1" above point of aim at 15 yds.( Top of sights with front and rear level with each other). Shooting from a bench with sandbag rest will help reduce dipping and help you to see where the pistol is actualy hitting relative to aim.

I don't want to cover the target with the sight therefore the adjustment to just above the sight.

Good luck.

PS the file is a great adjuster.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got ya! Thanks for the advice. What grain are you shooting? I don't know if I am shooting to light of a grain or not enough.

·
Registered
521 Posts
MC said:
Got ya! Thanks for the advice. What grain are you shooting? I don't know if I am shooting to light of a grain or not enough.

Don't think it really matters that much. I have shot loads from 115gr to 147gr with minimal impact shift under 25 yards.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
MC said:

You wont see a significant effect by changing bullet weight at this point. Use what is economical and readily available. Once you have better trigger control you can worry about the last 1/2 inch.

Practice, practice, practice

And Enjoy

:twisted:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts