MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my M&P in January, 2006. It is one of the first ones to roll off the assembly line (ser# MPA, number under 5000). I very much like the feel of the gun and like the way it shoots. The reson for my frustration is that it has been back to Smith & Wesson twice and still does not function reliably.

The first time I sent it back was because it had developed a light strike problem. I also asked S&W to adjust whatever needed to be adjusted to prevent ejected brass from hitting me in the face. S&W sent me a shipping label and in typical S&W fashion I had the gun back very quickly. The brass still hit me in the face and it developed light strikes again within about 100 rounds. The additional problem of the slide stop sticking up had also developed (with a minimum of fouling the slide stop would stick up so that I was unable to slingshot the slide. The slide stop would eventually fall if you held the slide back long enough). I called S&W again and again received a shipping label. Turnaround was again excellent and I had the pistol back in short order. The second time thney replaced the barrel and installed one of the new style slide stops. I took it out to shoot the other day and now the slide locks back with rounds still in the magazine at least once or twice per magazine. None of my fingers are anywhere the slide stop and this occurred with another shooter as well. The profile of the bullet does not appear to be interfering with the slide stop and I had never had this issue before.

I am an experienced shooter and have not encountered these problems with any of my other guns. And lest anyone think I'm one of those guyss that always seems to have issues with my guns, this is the first gun I've ever had that I've had to send back to a manufacturer. I've never gotten a "bad gun", and I've purchased and shot my share over the past thirty or so years I've been shooting.

I was wondering if Mr. Burwell or any of the posters here with more M&P experience than I have encountered the slide stop problem and/or have any thoughts on an easy fix.

I don't want anyone to take this as a bashing of Smith & Wesson or the M&P. I love the company and I really want to like the gun. I'm just getting a bit frustrated at this point. My department is in the process of transitioning to Glocks. While I never really cared for them I must admit that they work very well. Though I like to be consistent and carry the same gun all the time I had considered the idea if fcarrying my M&P off duty. At this point however, I just don't trust my M&P enough even to compete with it.

Anyway, any thoughts on the slide stop issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
tcurtis - S&W needs to replace the Slide Stop Assy. They had problems with the earlier ones like yours. There was a home remedy posted but at this juncture I think S&W should fix it for you.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have an MPA serial number under 5000.

I had a slide stop issue and a light primer strike problem also, but

S&W has fixed the problems and it now has performed flawlessly.

I would not have a problem owning an M&P regardless of the serial number.

I would call them up again and explain to them in great

detail the problems you are having and also the fact that

you have sent the gun in twice already.

I think S&W is committed to customer service and that

your issues will be resloved.

It's just unfortunate that you've had to go through this process.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I've had 2 MPA series, both with light primer strikes. Replaced with newer striker, and fixed.

Never had a problem with the slide stop or mag catches. I still have one with the old style slide stop, and its still going strong. Saying in the 7k range of ammo though it.

Sounds like they just need to replace your pistol and be done with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can identify with the poster. I have fallen in love with these pistols. I literally have to force myself to bring some of my SIG's, Glocks or HK's along to my shooting club these days, and when I do sometimes some of them, (ahemmm Glocks) stay in the range back. Yet, I have had a lot of problems with my full size .40. Nothing has felt as good as this pistol ever in my hand. I believe it has the perfect ergo's, weight, balance, capacity and a decent stock trigger. I just got it back for the third time with a new frame and night sights installed as a service gesture. Can't beat that. I'm hopeful the pistol works as realibly as my 9mm's have. I'll be buying at least another full size 9mm, a compact .40, the .45, and probably a spare compact 9mm. I'm weird that way :wink:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
I concur, after all what does a "lifetime warranty" mean if you they don't honor it...

Ummmm....."lifetime warranty" has always been a tricky phrase....could mean a number of things. :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to wait until I got it back to post, but as a quick update....

My M&P .40 will be gone two weeks tomorrow. I'm actually surprised I didn't get it back yet as in the past turn-around was very quick. I'm hoping to have it back to use in a steel match I'm shooting on Sunday.

I've pretty much decided that my experience is a fluke and have confidence in S&W. So much so that I should be picking up my M&P .45 tonight or tomorrow night.

I'll post when I have my .40 back and have given it a thorough test fire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my M&P .40 back yesterday (04/30). The note with it stated that the slide stop was changed.

I had the opportunity today to put about 30 rounds through it. No problems at all.

The slide stop spring feels stronger than it's predecessor (as far as I can remember).

At this point all issues appear to have been corrected. I'm going to shoot it a bit more to make sure everything is good, but I am not anticipating any more problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts