MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those having FTEs, you just might want to check out and see how much garbage is in your extractor hook. I clean my weapons after every firing, when I do so I always use one of the AR15 style double ended brushes on the extractor. On my gun anyway, the brush and CLP was not cutting it. David Bowie checked my extractor tension on day 2 of the TDI class. It was in the marginally OK to OK range on the extractor tension. He then noticed a lot of build up in the extractor hook. I cleaned that out that night with a pick and the gun ran a very hard 542 rounds today with no problems at all. Well other than me sometimes not lining up the bumpy things on top of the slide or yanking the curvy thingy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem here is S&W did a great job making the extractor bullet proof, but in doing so they made it very difficult to fully clean the extractor. You cannot casually remove the pivot pin on these guns.

As an update as of today. I bought M&P#1 Jan 3, 2007, it now has 2892 rounds through it with 9 FTEs. As I take better care of the extractor hook, if I can go another 1000 rounds without another FTE I think I will really trust this thing.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you do a search and put in extractors, cleaning, etc., you will find that this problem has been mentioned before. I myself had two FTE's early on with my fullsize M&P9...and after I cleaned out all the gunk under the extractor I have never had another failure. I now clean it every time with a dental pick. I do think there should be something added to the Owners Manual in regard to keeping the extractor clean. It was so easy on my old Sigma to remove the extractor from the slide...on the M&P it is next to impossible.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I remove my extractor about every 1000 rounds for a thorough cleaning. I have never had a FTE with my M&P pistols.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Can you go thru the process step by step? From what I have read on this Forum, the pin is next to impossible to remove. Is the spring held in by anything, or is it just sitting under the rear portion of the extractor? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The spring is held in by the extractor.

--Proceed at your own risk.--

Make a short starter punch.

Lay the slide on a protected hard surface with the muzzle hanging off the side, so that it lays flat.

Use a large hammer and the starter punch to knock the pin loose, top to bottom.

Once it breaks loose, it will punch out fairly easily.

--Proceed at your own risk.--

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks YukonGlocker....

You didn't put the slide in a vise?? Is there really a vaild reason to remove the extractor?? Does it get dirty around the spring?? Wouldn't a spray such as Gunscrubber or CLP help clean it out without having to remove it. It's the claw on mine that seems to get a lot of crud built-up and I now clean that every time I clean the gun.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
No, I don't use a vise for extractor removal.

No, there is not really a valid reason to remove the extractor, unless you are having problems.

No, not much crud gets to the spring.

Cleaning around the claw should suffice most of the time.

And I would not be putting any oil on the extractor. That will just attract more crud.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You can replace the extractor pin with a 5/64 roll pin or a coil pin and then you can remove it much easier in the future. You can see in the M&P 45 that S&W seems to trust the roll pin.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dan Burwell

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts