MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a FTF on my new M&P 40. It was roughly the 400th round through the gun with no previous hiccups. The round never left the magazine and the slide locked back. A tap and rack and I was good to go again.

It was the seventh round in the second magazine of a newly bought lot of Winchester Ranger 155gr. I had shot about 100 WWB before in this session, and then the balance of two boxes of the Ranger after this with no other glitches. The gun had been cleaned and oiled after the last outing before this.

I am somewhat a newb so I would appreciate any advice on what to do:

Should I take it in stride and keep trying the rest of the Ranger 155 and call it good if no more failures in another couple hundred?

Swear off the Ranger 155 forever?

Consider there may be a problem with me? Limp wrist? I don't think so, but? The slide did lock so it seemed like it must have been a full cycle. Magazine not fully seated? Possible?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Most likely your thumb bumped the slide release. I do this all the time when test firing guns with the medium or small grips.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well duh, I didn't even think of that. I certainly considered that it was something I did but I overlooked the very simplest possibility!

My grip does put my thumb close enough to press the release up if I am just a little off of my usual position.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts