MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i first had this happen when my friend was firing my M&P9. At first I thought it was just because of limp-wristing since before then I had fired a few hundred rounds through it without a problem. And since then, I've fired many rounds through it also without a problem. The strange thing is, since that first time it malfunctioned with my friend, two other friends have reported similar problems. This time, I didn't think limp-wristing is the culprit. The reason is one of them is a former Marine and is probably more experienced in handgun firing than I am, and he mainly fires larger calibers like .45 ACP and from what I've seen of him shooting does not limp-wrist at all. So I don't know why he's getting the problems, but for some odd reason, I still don't get them. Is there a reason for this or is it just luck or what? I've read in another thread someone having similar problems and he said it only happens when he uses WWB ammo and not Remington ammo. I have been using WWB ammo since you can get 100 rounds for like $12 at wal-mart, lol. Should I also try Remington ammo instead?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've experienced FTExtract with WWB but that was a few hundred rounds ago, during initial break-in. Haven't used WWB in the M&P since. It's odd that you don't experience problems but other shooters do. I would say that it is most likely limp wristing or total lack of familiarity with the pistol. I would say, as long as it functions for you reliably then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, I kind of feel the same way, since this is my pistol, I don't think I should worry about it unless if malfunctions on me too. But I did find it really weird that it had failures for 3 of my friends, expecially the one that is pretty experienced with firearms...

Oh well, it'll be one of those mysteries...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, the problem started happening when I fired it too. And it happened quite frequently actually. I read around these forums and found someone else who had the same problem and all the people there seemed to agree that they had this problem when using Winchester WB ammo but not with any other. So I went to the range with nothing but Remington ammo, and burned through 200 without a problem. And this is without cleaning or oiling from the last time I went shooting with it.

So it seems it is definitely the ammo, apparently Winchester is underloading their ammo...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Demon_Mustang said:
Alright, the problem started happening when I fired it too. And it happened quite frequently actually. I read around these forums and found someone else who had the same problem and all the people there seemed to agree that they had this problem when using Winchester WB ammo but not with any other. So I went to the range with nothing but Remington ammo, and burned through 200 without a problem. And this is without cleaning or oiling from the last time I went shooting with it.

So it seems it is definitely the ammo, apparently Winchester is underloading their ammo...

Out of curiosity, do you have some of both ammo to compare?

chack the width of the extractor groove on both, and see if the WWB groove is tighter/narrower.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Your pistol sounds like it is haunted by the ghosts of Smith & Wesson.

A Smith & Wesson rep. once told me that there is a legend that sometimes the pistol won't work for anybody but the owner. This is not printed in your operators manual, but can look at it as a built in safety feature in case your pistol falls into the wrong hands someday.

·
Registered
280 Posts
LOL

That's pretty strange. The only time my P220ST ever had stoppages was when I was pressed for time while shooting steel targets. 2 FTFeeds out of the thousands of malfunction-free rounds it had fired previously!

Sometimes stuff happens, I guess.

For the record, my M&P9c has eaten over 1100 rounds of WWB, Federal American Eagle, Independence, Remington, and other FMJ ammo, without a stoppage that wasn't the operator's fault - even that was only 1 failure to go completely into battery from lack of lube. They can be extremely good, reliable pistols.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah, it's not every one, but out of the few people that get this problem it seems to only happen with WWB. And for the one asking about comparing the two, no, I don't have any WWB 9mm on me now... If someone else does, and does this comparison, I'm interested in the results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Demon_Mustang said:

I have shot about 2000 rounds of WWB ammo in my M&P 40 and have not had any problems. I always shoot WWB at the range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gee, thanks. First of all, (like I've already said, and is really obvious) not every problem will happen in every weapon. Nothing is 100%, but obviously this problem exists because I'm not the first person to have singled out the ammo and "coincidentally" they were all WWB that had the problem.

Secondly, you have the .40, which is COMPLETELY different from the 9mm. But yah, that's very interesting to know, thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to include it in my memoirs, lol.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
WWB is near the bottom of the performance envelope for 9mm ammo in terms of recoil impulse. As such, it tends to cause problems with some guns, particularly light polymer-framed guns if shooters are limp-wristing. It's the ammo I've seen most consistently have problems in Glock 9mm pistols, too.

So if you get some ammo that is a little cooler than normal, or a gun which is a little tighter than normal, or your grip is a little looser than it should be, or some combination of those factors, you may see problems. As the pistol wears in, the problem will most likely go away.

FWIW, I've had no such problems with Blazer (aluminum) 115gr FMJ, which is cheaper, too!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I reload 9MM and all the cases I am using were originaly Winchester White box. The cases came from ammo burned when I owned an XD9 that had consistant FTF & FTE's. I got rid of the XD9 because of it. I have not had any problems with the reloaded cases, which have been through several load cycles, so believe the extraction groove or case is not at fault. I agree with Toddg's analysis of your problem.

:twisted:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yah, I thought it was limp-wristing too when it was mainly only happening when other people shot it. But when it started happening with me and with a friend who is also very experienced in handgun shooting, then I'm pretty sure that was not a factor. But I have heard that WWB are usually lighter loads than some others, and that is probably what is causing the problems. Oh well, no big deal, the price difference between them and the Remingtons are not that big anymore, so I might as well just buy Remington ammo anyhow...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too, had the wwb problem. I did compare wwb with the remington umc. they were virtually identical in all case measurements. OAL was a little shorter on the remington.

My M&P 9MM will shoot the remington, s&b, and all my handloads. It just does not like WWB.

Hope someone gets to the bottom of this mystery. :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts