MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of guns I want for sale in California. I was wondering if anyone knew the laws about this.

If I bought the gun IN NEVADA would I have to register it since it came from california?

If I bought the gone IN CALIFORNIA would I have to register it since I live in nevada?

Would the original owner have to "unregister" the gun?

Never seen this topic come up and I don't know where to go to find out the information. I know I don't have to register my gun in nevada unless it's clark county and I'm no where near there.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The transaction must be handled by an FFL holder in the state that you live in. In other words you cannot go into another state and buy a firearm. What you can do is shop online (Bud's etc) and have it shipped to a dealer near you. That dealer will charge you a fee but it's usually not bad. Always clear this with the dealer in advance.

Gunbroker has a list of FFL holders for most areas and their fees; or Davidson's will arrange to sell you a weapon at a good price through their network of local dealers, or you can call your friendly local gunshop. Most will order anything that you want.

You're lucky. Here in California we may only buy what they state says we are allowed to buy. In Nevada you can buy pretty much anything.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.galleryofguns.com/GunLocator/locatorstart.asp

http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

·
Registered
66 Posts
check out ca. dept. of justice website one oddity if you purchase something that was preban ca. have it shipped to nv. it better be what you want cause the firearm cannot reenter ca. only the original owner can possess it and once it leaves the state it cannot return.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
fallsafe said:
check out ca. dept. of justice website one oddity if you purchase something that was preban ca. have it shipped to nv. it better be what you want cause the firearm cannot reenter ca. only the original owner can possess it and once it leaves the state it cannot return.
What? That covers hi-cap magazines and "assault weapons", not normal pistols.

California law bans bringing non-approved pistols into California for sale. In other words you can move here and bring your gun collection with you - except for certain "assault weapons" and without your hi-cap mags. Those you have to leave behind! Private party transfers of not-on-the-approved-list pistols within the state are also legal but must be state resident to state resident and must handled by an FFL.

Federal law prohibits state to state transfers of ownership except through an FFL in the purchaser's state of residence

·
Registered
66 Posts
don't quite understand the exact wording of it, to much legalize was interested in purchasing a preban personal firearm from a state leo shipped to my ffl to ffl he informed me that once it was sent i couldn't change my mind because the out state ffl could not ship it back to a ca.ffl. as far as moving to ca. i don't disagree with you. as far as hi cap. mag. i was told if was pre ca. ban it was grandfathered in to the original owner. new pistol& hi cap bad, new or old pistol with mag. made before ban okay. guess it depends on who answers the phone in the doj.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would happen to a person who transfered a gun across state lines? I'm assuming the ATF or someone would knock on your door one day and haul your ass off to jail (while rummaging through your gun collection) and you'd get a lot of fines. Any stores/news articles?

Guess I couldn't say I bought it from the guy when he was living out of state. maybe say we went to college together?

I'm not trying to find a way to "beat the system" here just an idea that's been going through my head and if you're like me you want to find out the final answer. It's like a bank robbery, none of us would rob a bank but maybe over a few beers it's come up and you figure out ways to plan it. fun times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts