MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just bought a M&p 2.0 9mm compact and when I fill a mag full of ammo it takes a little more force for it to sit into the gun. Haven’t had any issues but also when I went to shoot it for the first time I noticed that when I pull the slide back there’s a little issue with the bullet having trouble to sit into the barrel. I was thinking that maybe cause I didn’t pull the slide back all the way that it was not having enough force to fully chamber the round. But shoots fantastic just a little worried don’t want any issues when a emergency situation occurs. Let me know what you think and no sarcasm straight answers no bullshit thank you and have a great day

·
Registered
155 Posts
The best way to make sure the first round of a fully loaded magazine is properly and fully inserted into the chamber of the barrel is to pull the slide back to slide lock. After the slide is locked back, then insert the magazine. Then pull back on the slide and RELEASE it - take your hand off. Let the slide slam forward to chamber the round like the gun was manufactured to do.

Try it.

One of the big mistakes the pistol newbies at our club make is to try to pull the slide back to chamber that first round. Invariably they don't pull it back far enough. Putting it to slide lock solves that problem, as long as you immediately take your hand off that slide when you pull it back and do not 'ride the slide' forward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The best way to make sure the first round of a fully loaded magazine is properly and fully inserted into the chamber of the barrel is to pull the slide back to slide lock. After the slide is locked back, then insert the magazine. Then pull back on the slide and RELEASE it - take your hand off. Let the slide slam forward to chamber the round like the gun was manufactured to do.

Try it.

One of the big mistakes the pistol newbies at our club make is to try to pull the slide back to chamber that first round. Invariably they don't pull it back far enough. Putting it to slide lock solves that problem, as long as you immediately take your hand off that slide when you pull it back and do not 'ride the slide' forward.
^^^This^^^

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I just bought a M&p 2.0 9mm compact and when I fill a mag full of ammo it takes a little more force for it to sit into the gun. Haven’t had any issues but also when I went to shoot it for the first time I noticed that when I pull the slide back there’s a little issue with the bullet having trouble to sit into the barrel. I was thinking that maybe cause I didn’t pull the slide back all the way that it was not having enough force to fully chamber the round. But shoots fantastic just a little worried don’t want any issues when a emergency situation occurs. Let me know what you think and no sarcasm straight answers no bullshit thank you and have a great day
Is that when the slide is closed? My 380 Shield EZ says it's a 8+1, what I found with three mags I purchased was that I could not insert an 8 round (full) magazine into the pistol unless the slide was open. The pistol should allow for one in the chamber plus a full magazine without having to rack the slide.

The other comments are correct, if it's related to the bullet loading into the chamber, then you're likely riding the slide. Sling shot it or open to the slide stop and then release the slide stop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is that when the slide is closed? My 380 Shield EZ says it's a 8+1, what I found with three mags I purchased was that I could not insert an 8 round (full) magazine into the pistol unless the slide was open. The pistol should allow for one in the chamber plus a full magazine without having to rack the slide.

The other comments are correct, if it's related to the bullet loading into the chamber, then you're likely riding the slide. Sling shot it or open to the slide stop and then release the slide stop.
You are correct that the Shield will NOT let you insert a loaded (even downloaded) magazine when there is one in the chamber. I went round and round with other members, either here or on the S&W forum, about that issue. A couple said they can forcefully insert the mag. Someone said it has to be downloaded. WELL DOH - if all you can load is 8 rounds because you have to download the replacement mag, nothing is gained. And if you have to shoot the gun to slide lock you are in deep doo doo in a SD situation.

And that is the reason my .380 Shield EZ is relegated to being a range toy. If I can't do a quick reload with one still remaining in the chamber in the very unlikely event I'm in a SD situation that requires that -- it can't be a carry gun. Period.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are correct that the Shield will NOT let you insert a loaded (even downloaded) magazine when there is one in the chamber. I went round and round with other members, either here or on the S&W forum, about that issue. A couple said they can forcefully insert the mag. Someone said it has to be downloaded. WELL DOH - if all you can load is 8 rounds because you have to download the replacement mag, nothing is gained. And if you have to shoot the gun to slide lock you are in deep doo doo in a SD situation.

And that is the reason my .380 Shield EZ is relegated to being a range toy. If I can't do a quick reload with one still remaining in the chamber in the very unlikely event I'm in a SD situation that requires that -- it can't be a carry gun. Period.
I don't normally carry 8+1 (or any +1) I just usually put the full mag in and rack it. Spare mag is full so if I reload while the chamber is loaded it's no problem (tactical reload?). I can load 8+1 with the original mags I got with the pistol so the two mags allow me to carry daily and I did for several months no issues. However I purchased three additional magazines and they all had the same issue. If I swapped the springs with the original mags, no issue. I contact S&W support and they are sending me three new springs however they are not in stock so I'm waiting...

I noticed the springs in the three problem mags were definitely stretched longer, these were three from original OEM boxes from a gun shop not used.

So if I do carry the 380EZ I use the original mags and when I go to the range I will use the additional mags and will test them once I get new springs.

380EZ was my first pistol and is comfortable to carry, though I just got a G19 and the 380EZ is getting some "safe" time. But I'd go back to it without hesitation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wait a minute here. Are you saying that if there is a round in the chamber, you cannot insert a full magazine in the gun? That can't be. Only an idiot would design a gun like that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wait a minute here. Are you saying that if there is a round in the chamber, you cannot insert a full magazine in the gun? That can't be. Only an idiot would design a gun like that.
However: Some idiot did.

If you lived close to me I would be very happy to have you come and try my gun with any and/or all of its 6 magazines. My hubby is pretty darned strong and HE could not get the magazine in when there was a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
543 Posts
However: Some idiot did.

If you lived close to me I would be very happy to have you come and try my gun with any and/or all of its 6 magazines. My hubby is pretty darned strong and HE could not get the magazine in when there was a round in the chamber.
You might want to get that gun looked at. That sounds like a defect to me.

I just grabbed my wife's gen 1 shield out of the safe, it's loaded with 124gr HST (full mag, chamber 1 round then leave it, so mag is then 1 rd short).
I press checked to make certain the chamber was full, then dropped the mag and reinserted it five times, I had to give it a tap to seat it but nothing harder than any other gun.

At that point I dropped the mag, pulled 1 round from my spare mag for full size (147gr HST) used it to "top off" the shield mag and it locked in with the same effort as missing one round.

I've run competition with mine (gen 1 also) in the past, sometimes reloading on the move with a round chambered and never had any issues with it.

Disclaimer: All of our M&P guns have had action work done to them and that silly sear deactivation lever in the mag well removed.
I'm not sure that would have anything to do with a full mag seating, but I'll put it out there because none of these guns are "stock".

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just grabbed my wife's gen 1 shield out of the safe, it's loaded with 124gr HST (full mag, chamber 1 round then leave it, so mag is then 1 rd short).
I've run competition with mine (gen 1 also) in the past, sometimes reloading on the move with a round chambered and never had any issues with it.

Disclaimer: All of our M&P guns have had action work done to them and that silly sear deactivation lever in the mag well removed.
I'm not sure that would have anything to do with a full mag seating, but I'll put it out there because none of these guns are "stock".
The Shield is a totally different animal from the Shield EZ. Sigh. My best friend has had a Shield 9mm forever and never had one iota of trouble with it.

Reactions: Happy 1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts