MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me decide.

I'd like to take advantage of the $50 and 2 mag offer. I already have a M&P9 fullsize that I'm using for IDPA/IPSC Production AND CCW and love it. I was holding out for the longslide model (or whatever they are going to call it) but this deal is too good to pass up.

I either want to get a MP9C just for CCW so I can dedicate my current gun to competition and bring the trigger weight down a little more. I CCW my current gun fine with the exception of the Skateboard Tape being abrasive against bare skin under a T-shirt. Which leads me to my second option: buy another 9mm full size and configure it for CCW with different sights, a bobbed beavertail and A-grip instead of skate tape. This will still allow me to do a more extensive trigger job on the competition only gun AND will give me 4 more mags in addition to what I already have to use either way (competition or carry) AND the feel from Competition gun to CCW will be very similar. (although the Compact did feel pretty good).

So if you were in this situation would you get a Compact or a duplicate gun configured differently?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't care for the compacts. I really wish they would have opted for something the size of a Glock 19.

I would get another full-size as a backup to the one you already have. If it goes down for whatver reason, you have an identical replacement until you get it back on line.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could always add to the mix and consider a full size 40. I first bought the full size 9 and then decided to try a 40. I am shooting the 40 in IDPA and although the cost of ammo is greater, reloading the 40 to near minimum power factor sure makes it shoot soft.

I have been carrying my 40 ccw and like you, would like to dedicate one weapon to competition. I have decided to take advantage of the $50.00 rebate and two mags and pick up a 40 compact for carry. My son has a 40c and shot 1200 rounds thru it a couple of weekends ago during a pretty intensive training program. He loves the compact.

I have to shoot a 40c more to determine if I will be happy with it as a ccw weapon. The problem is, I don't have too much trouble concealing the fullsize weapon, (one of the few advantages of being older and wearing loose clothes, nobody gives you a second look) and they (fullsize) are soo great so shoot.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yeah, I have NO problem carrying the fullsize in baggy shorts or jeans and a T-shirt. IMHO the compact isn't really THAT much smaller. Yes the barrel and grip are shorter but the width is the same. I had an XD Subcompact (sold for the M&P) that was a good shooter but with the short barrel and grip it felt even blockier than the service size (even though its the same). The longer barrel on the service seemed to actually carry better (better balanced in the holster) and shift less than the SC. If I'm going to go smaller than the full size it needs to be slimmer as well and it would fill a niche role when I rarely have to carry light. A single stack 9mm like a PM9 or something.

Not really into the 40. Maybe if I built a limited gun up for USPSA Limited but I'm really liking production and IDPA right now. I am condering the 45 for CDP though!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would get a full size. That way you have a ccw, and a spare match gun. The training, and trigger time would carry over to your ccw

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up getting another Fullsize 9 that I am going to configure specifically for carry. I'll probably order a Crossbreed Holster to go along with it. Thanks for everyone advise!

Do you guys know if any of the M&P Smiths have successfully figured out how to cut down a fullsize grip? I remember reading a post on here where somebody used full-sized 10 round mags and removed the plastic bottom section and added a small spacer to make the grip on his compact slightly larger but not as big as a full size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts