MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to shoot my new gen 1 45 full size pistol the other day. I cleaned and lubed it before shooting. I had two problems, one time my trigger wouldn't fire, the gun shot, reloaded, then nothing? No marks on the primer, I reloaded it into the mag, and it fired.

The second problem I had, while squeezing the trigger as slow as possible, working on my groups, the gun went off two times????????

This is a stock 45 LE model, no safety's, and I have noticed when dry firing, the trigger doesn't have a reset you can hear, do I need to contact S&W and send it in? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I finally got to shoot my new gen 1 45 full size pistol the other day. I cleaned and lubed it before shooting. I had two problems, one time my trigger wouldn't fire, the gun shot, reloaded, then nothing? No marks on the primer, I reloaded it into the mag, and it fired.

The second problem I had, while squeezing the trigger as slow as possible, working on my groups, the gun went off two times????????

This is a stock 45 LE model, no safety's, and I have noticed when dry firing, the trigger doesn't have a reset you can hear, do I need to contact S&W and send it in? Thanks for any advice.

I would. Then I'd think about dropping Apex parts in it. Or cut out the middle man and buy the Apex kit and have a smith install them and give the gun a once over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent them a E-Mail today, thank God I didn't do my trigger job---yet!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the gun back today! Note inside said no problems??????? WTH, I guess a dead trigger is a S&W trademark, I'm going the Apex route now, if this doesn't work, I'll get another Springfield, as desperate as that sounds (LOL).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Got the gun back today! Note inside said no problems??????? WTH, I guess a dead trigger is a S&W trademark, I'm going the Apex route now, if this doesn't work, I'll get another Springfield, as desperate as that sounds (LOL).
They did that to me twice on a Performance Center gun with a bad trigger. I had to put an Apex trigger in it. I have 5 M&P’s right now, and the PC gun is the only one that I had to put a trigger in.

The full Apex trigger should fix your problem.

·
Registered
345 Posts
M&P triggers leave a lot to be desired.
Every M&P product I get will have an ATEi action job done before I touch the trigger the first time. I've yet to have an issue with any of them.

ETA: except the .22c he doesn't have a solution to those.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well for now, I installed my MCarbo spring kit, plus I deburred and polished the sear, firing pin, trigger bar, and striker safety plunger. I did find some shavings in the bore where the striker is located, after removing it. My dead trigger only happened a couple of times, out of 50 shots, maybe now it's fixed. My trigger pull is now a lot lighter.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Is it cocked when you pull the trigger? I ask because sometimes, on my problem FS M&P, the sear would fail to catch the striker when the slide went forward. It was truly a "dead" trigger. No striker mark on the primer at all.

Other times it would make a funny clicking noise, but still not fire - but there would be a small striker mark on the primer.

Two different issues, at the same time, with failure to fire being the result.

#1 was sear flutter - replaced the original sear spring with a bigger spring - and found some crud/left over pieces of plastic or something in the hole where the sear spring fits into.

The second problem (small striker mark on the primer, but no still a failure to fire) was a timing issue. The hump on the trigger bar was not lifting the striker block completely clear of the striker before the sear released the striker on 2 or 3 rounds per magazine. That required an adjustment to the trigger bar to correct.

So, no click? or funny sounding click when the trigger is pulled?

Hey, I'm not expert, that's just what happened to my pistol. I had the failure to fire issue two days after I bought the pistol. I ordered and installed an Apex CAEK in it and that solved the problem for over a year. Then it came back and had the second issue as well.

Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, mine was #1, while shooting, between rounds, the trigger just went dead, no marks on the primer, re racked the gun with the good shell loaded back in and it worked fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts