MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If functions exactly how it was designed, and I just don't like it... crunchy trigger, feeble magazine release, weak slide pressure in-battery, Off-center primer strikes, bulged brass, and unnatural recoil characteristics.



It's going back today, and I'll be bringing home my 4th XD.



The grip, sights and short trigger reset just weren't enough to win this guy over. Normally, I'd give a new pistol more than a 500rd trial period... but I can already tell that I'm not going to enjoy shooting this pistol, and I'm certainly not going to carry it, so I'm going to save my ammo for better use.



I don't hate it, but it just doesn't work for me (kinda like Glocks). At least I can say I paid my money and gave it a 'shot'.



Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
molonlabetn said:
If functions exactly how it was designed, and I just don't like it... crunchy trigger, feeble magazine release, weak slide pressure in-battery, Off-center primer strikes, bulged brass, and unnatural recoil characteristics.



It's going back today, and I'll be bringing home my 4th XD.



The grip, sights and short trigger reset just weren't enough to win this guy over. Normally, I'd give a new pistol more than a 500rd trial period... but I can already tell that I'm not going to enjoy shooting this pistol, and I'm certainly not going to carry it, so I'm going to save my ammo for better use.



I don't hate it, but it just doesn't work for me (kinda like Glocks). At least I can say I paid my money and gave it a 'shot'.



Peace.


OK then. Good luck with a inferior gun :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
There is definitely something to be said for knowing what you like and getting what you know. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "unnatural recoil characteristics" but if the gun isn't the right fit for you, there are certainly plenty of other quality guns out there. And if you've got three XDs that you're happy with, that is an obvious path to follow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
See I am right the opposite of you the XD's did not work for me at all they had alot more muzzle flip and I could not hit as good as I wanted to with it so I got the MP 9 and loved it so much that I went out and got the MP40c to go with it. I have had almost ever hand gun there is and for me the MP takes the cake but everyone is going to be differnet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ToddG said:
There is definitely something to be said for knowing what you like and getting what you know. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "unnatural recoil characteristics" but if the gun isn't the right fit for you, there are certainly plenty of other quality guns out there. And if you've got three XDs that you're happy with, that is an obvious path to follow.


Not sure what it is, and I've only ever felt this occur in two other pistols... when shooting, the motion of the slide returning to battery makes the gun oscillate, as if the slide is 'bouncing' off of its most forward position. Another fellow who fired my pistol noticed the same.



The other guns which I have felt this occur with was a Witness .45 compact, and a worn out Ruger P89.



It is a hindrance to firing controlled pairs, and aimed rapid-fire. By comparison, the XDs have more snap to their recoil, but the muzzle very quickly comes back to rest predictably in exactly the same place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
Being the owner of both XD's (9mm & .45) and a M&P 9, I have to say that I like both of them. But then, I like Glocks, too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
molonlabetn said:
It is a hindrance to firing controlled pairs, and aimed rapid-fire. By comparison, the XDs have more snap to their recoil, but the muzzle very quickly comes back to rest predictably in exactly the same place.


I tune all my guns to do that. My Witness Match will just barely close the slide when chambering a round (it works 100 for me, but if you limp wrist it, sooner or later you'll have to tap the back of the slide).



I suppose it just depends on what recoil characteristic you prefer - I hate muzzle droop from recoil springs that are too stiff (i.e. M&P 9mm using same spring as 40).



As far as the XD's go - the trigger mechanism and design of the guns are soo close that either is a good option in my opinion. That said, the M&P is a bit easier to work on and a bit cheaper to play with. Sights & trigger are easily fixed.



What didn't you like about the mag release?





-Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Krautwagen said:
What didn't you like about the mag release?



-Dave


The mags seem to be just barely held in, though perhaps I am a bit too critical of it simply because of the early reported problems of mag-dropping... I didn't like how little effort and movement it takes to release the mag, and how easy it is to inadvertently drop it. Besides that, the mags don't drop-free as consistently as I would like, when the slide is locked back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
I'm not sure what you're feeling with your M&P in terms of recoil is normal. I know I am getting well under 0.20 aimed splits with my 9mm, and when timing it I've pulled plenty below 0.15 seconds on wide open targets. Perhaps you just need a new recoil spring?



The mag catch issues could just mean you need a newer mag catch.



Not trying to change your mind, just suggesting that if you like the way the M&P feels better than the XD, it's probably possible (even easy) to get your M&P running the way you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I also don't like how the magazine reliease works; (they should've used a spring mechanism like everyone elase, not the bar) it makes it too light (and some people had problems with mags dropping out)



but I by far prefer M&P to GLocks or XDs... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ToddG said:
I'm not sure what you're feeling with your M&P in terms of recoil is normal. I know I am getting well under 0.20 aimed splits with my 9mm, and when timing it I've pulled plenty below 0.15 seconds on wide open targets. Perhaps you just need a new recoil spring?



The mag catch issues could just mean you need a newer mag catch.



Not trying to change your mind, just suggesting that if you like the way the M&P feels better than the XD, it's probably possible (even easy) to get your M&P running the way you want.


You're probably correct that the pistol could be properly tuned... I'm not surprised that the light recoil spring used for the 9mm and .40 is potentially too weak for the .357sig that I am shooting. I contemplated acquiring a Wolff guide rod and heavier spring to prevent the frame from being battered (which is what feels like is happening).



But honestly, I don't like the feel of the grip any more than the XD, it's just different in a good way... but it doesn't point any better for me. I've truly been trying to like this pistol for over a month (and 500rd) now, having purchased it mainly because it was so cheap, with the rebate & mags, and the rave reviews it's been getting. But it just feels like a marginally more ergonomic Glock, to me. Chalk it up to learning experience, I'm just one of the few who this pistol doesn't fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I'm certainly no gun expert, in fact, in a gun amateur.



But I felt the exact same way about the XD that you felt about the M&P... it just didnt "feel right" in my hands when I shot it. And it wasnt necessarily that it was a bad gun, it wasnt, and I know many people like them a lot... But I just couldnt get comfortable with it (and neither with the Glocks).



When I first tried the M&P... I was just blown away. It was a completely different experience than any other gun I had fired, and I instantly knew it would be the first gun I purchased, the only question which remained was in what caliber & size. I decided to go with the simple & standard full size 9mm for my first gun, and will use that for home defense, and later on will get a .40c for my daily carry when (if) I ever successfully obtain a CCW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ZB338 said:
Why don't you take your XP and quietly leave?



Zeke


He's not causing any trouble. Silly him for comming to a firearms discussion board to discuss firearms.



If you have nothing to say Zeke, I always recommend saying nothing. - JM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
I may be weird, but i think a grip safety on a striker fired gun is a little strange. Then again i also don't like a safety on a polymer frame gun. For me the m&p just fits, I own hi powers, 1911s, kahrs, and the m&p just fits like a glove. When i picked one up at the gun show i knew i had to have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Different strokes! I have a friend that loves his XD .40 even though he's fired my M&P 40. It just fits his hand better. I think it's good to get differing opinions on different pistols, even if it's an opinion that we don't want to hear. I don't see the XD as being inferior at all, it's just a different manual of arms. Just like Glocks, HKs, Sigs, etc etc. Well maybe except for Lorcin, that's just a piece of crap...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
molonlabetn -- I haven't shot an M&P in 357 yet, though I hope to soon. Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations. At least you know the XD is more likely to fit your needs. Thanks for the straightforward assessment of your M&P experience.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top