MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some mad money I am wanting to spend from Christmas. I currently own a 40 full size M&P and was debating on getting one in the C model. I also am kicking around the idea of a pocket pistol, like the Kel-Tec PF9. How much of a difference in size is the full size vs the C model. I know, it not going to be in the pocket pistol range, but would like to hear about it.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The compact simply has a shorter barrel and grip. The dimensions are on Smith's website. If you do a search you can find a thread with comparison pics.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I heard it was 1" less barrel and 3/4" on the grips. Don't quote me tough. I haven't verified that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a fullsize and considered getting a compact. Not enough difference in size IMHO for what I needed it for. Yes the barrel and grip are shorter, but the width is the same. The MP-C G26 and XD-sub all have a chunky feel to them. I ended up modifying a fullsize for carry (chopped the grip) and plan on getting a single-stack 9mm (Kahr PM, Walther PPS, Kel-tec PF9, etc) for when I need to go smaller. I wish Smith, Glock or Springfield would come out with a single stack compact 9mm.

That being said, many people are very happy with the Compact, it just didn't fit my needs. The cut-down fullsize carries as good as the compact with the extension and holds 14 rounds and a singl-stack 9mm will hide better than the Compact.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i got the full size mp 9 and the 40 c and i do not think that you can carry easy in the pocket without see the outline unless you got real big pants that is why i got the 442 for the pocket carry it set in there very nice and can not make it out with the right holsters.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
ArnisAndyz said:
...I wish Smith, Glock or Springfield would come out with a single stack compact 9mm...
S&W 3913

Springfield EMP

Both excellent, single stack 9mm pistols.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got my full size 9 about 3 months ago, and it has been so good I just got a 9c for Christmas. The compact is everything I wanted it to be, with all the best of the full size in the smaller size. I bought a KelTec PF9 about six months ago, put about 200 rounds thru it, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough (and I love my P3AT!), so I would advise staying with the M&P. I was going to sell the fullsize, but now I'm thinking about getting some trigger work, refinishing, and night sights done instead. It currently has the place of honor, with an Insight X2L on it, in the nightstand. Really great pistols!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have both a full size and a compact. I like them both. The compact isnt as small as the KelTec, I think its to big for most pants pocket carry, but it is a good choice

·
Registered
559 Posts
Like sdrct, I had a PF-9 and traded it in (on my .45 M&P). The PF-9 and I didn't get along. It was a question of fit; the gun was reliable and accurate, it just hurt to shoot it, and I can shoot a K frame with .357 Magnums all day with no problems. I'd go with the 40C.

·
Registered
54 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
[quote name='ArnisAndyz']...I wish Smith, Glock or Springfield would come out with a single stack compact 9mm...
S&W 3913

Springfield EMP

Both excellent, single stack 9mm pistols.[/quote]

Yes I own two S&W 3913s and a Springfield EMP and wouldn't trade them for any others. The 3913s and the EMPs are reliable and accurate weapons.

Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Compact vs fullsize

I have owned a fullsize 45 for 2 months now. I had the Burwell trigger treatment (great service andquality work) a great gun all the way around. Last week I bought a 40c and shot it yesterday. The gun failed to extract wolf ammo after the 1st mag full. I played hades getting the fired case out of the barrel . Finally got it out using a wooden dowel driving it out back through the chamber with no damage done. My 45 performs well using wolf so go figure. I then tried WWB 180gr my gun loves the stuff! It hits point of aim, no failures with100 rnds fired. I then shot a 25 rnd box of rem gs180, again no failures. I plan to run a couple 100 rnds more to break it in, then carry the rem suff for serious social encounters. I like the 40c much more over 2 Kel-Tecs, 2 Star-Firestars (40&45),Glock 19,CZ 85,PA63, and Colt officers model that I have carried concealed. The only addition that I see myself doing to the gun is stippling the front strap for more control during rapid fire, a small piece of skateboard tape confirmed this. For me it does not need a trigger job, for some reason it is much better out of the box than the 45 was. This gun is a keeper!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts