1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
63 Posts
They are compatible in the same sense that Glock magazines are compatible for different sizes but the same caliber. In other words, the M&P40 magazines will fit and function in the M&P40c, but will stick out an amount equal to the difference in grip length between the two pistols. The M&P40c magazine will fit ino the magazine well of the M&P40, but is necessarily too short to engage the magazine release.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The standard .40 magazine will work in the compact, it will just stick out the bottom about an inch. For obvious reasons, it wouldn't be possible to use a compact magazine in a full-size. Still, you could carry both guns and just spare full-size .40 mags and be fine.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
312 Posts
Pretty much anyone with both a full-size and a compact model of almost Any firearm has tried it. The magazine cutout is in the exact same place on the Full-Size and the Compact S&W's, only the grip length is different.

Looked at another way, 10, 20, 30, and 100 round magazines fit on all AR/M16 series rifles as the magazine attachment point is the same.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looking at Springfield's extended mag for their compact XD I wonder if S&W could produce a "filler" for that inch that the mag extends.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I tried a full size mag in my compact. It fit but I did not fire it (someone else's mag). I would like to have the "filler" to make it look and feel right but the M&P does not require it like the XD does.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts