MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking prices and comparing guns for the past several weeks. I have decided on 9mm and have narrowed my search down to two. The S&W MP Full or a Glock 34. I will be using this for paper target shooting at the range and really wanted this gun to be accurate. Most of my local gun store salesmen are suggesting I go with the Glock 34 which has a longer barrel length (5.32’) and a trigger pull of 4.5lbs. Is the Glock 34 worth over $100 more than the S&W MP? I have been going back and fourth with this question. I’m ready to start shooting but can’t decide which one to get.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
You need to have access to both at the same time and see which one feels right in your hand and

then you can make a sound judgement...

As for me M&P

Welcome to the site BTW

·
Registered
112 Posts
I rented both and shot both. My preference went to the M&P. My hand is bigger, and a friend who was shooting with me preferred the Glock. The M&P had the midsized swell I'm guessing. The groupings were better with the M&P after some practice, probably all the shooter, not the gun.

If your only goal is accuracy, the SIG (P226) seemed more consistent with less practice, but I accept that's probably quite a bit "just me" as well.

I know it's not on your list, but my Ruger 22/45 MkII ($250ish used) is accurate, cheap to shoot, and really easy to notice style changes and get feedback with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
You need to have access to both at the same time and see which one feels right in your hand and

then you can make a sound judgement...

What he said. It comes down to what feels best when YOU shoot. I have both. I carry the M&P, I shoot competition every week with the 34. They are both accurate. The 34 just gets me accurate faster only because thats what I'm used to. The M&P even with the large swell on it still swims in my hand. I have a Hogue grip on the Glock. I love that it feels like I'm holding a 2x4 (big hands). I find the 34 just a wee bit easier to detail strip. I have bunches of extra parts on hand for matches. I guess if I were just punching paper, I'd go with the 34. If you want an all around gun you can carry too, go with the M&P.

Good luck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Comparing the MP9 to the G34 is not an apples to apples comparison. You should compare the MP9 to the G17. The G34 is a competition/tactical weapon with a lot of bells and whistles not found on production Glocks. Here in Ohio, at least in my area, the price difference is more like $200 between the G34 and MP9. You can get an MP9 all day long for $439 where the G34's run in the area of $599 - $619.

If you aren't going to compete in say IDPA or USPSA, then I would opt for the cheaper MP9. If you foresee competition shooting then either will do you well; however, the G34 does have it's advantages. The MP9 and G34 are two of my three favorite pistols the other being a G17. You have a tough choice. Get out and shoot the two of them and then make your decision.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My M&P 9 is more comfortable to carry and shoot but as others said you should compare the G 17 to the M&P. The G 34 may be slightly more accurate due to the longer barrel and longer distance between the sights. The triggers are not the same. At this time I can shoot my M&P 9 with Burwell trigger slightly better than my G 34.

Hello S&W,when are we going to be able to purchase an M&P Longslide with a better trigger?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Comparing the MP9 to the G34 is not an apples to apples comparison. You should compare the MP9 to the G17. The G34 is a competition/tactical weapon with a lot of bells and whistles not found on production Glocks. Here in Ohio, at least in my area, the price difference is more like $200 between the G34 and MP9. You can get an MP9 all day long for $439 where the G34's run in the area of $599 - $619.

If you aren't going to compete in say IDPA or USPSA, then I would opt for the cheaper MP9. If you foresee competition shooting then either will do you well; however, the G34 does have it's advantages. The MP9 and G34 are two of my three favorite pistols the other being a G17. You have a tough choice. Get out and shoot the two of them and then make your decision.

Thank you. That is what I want to know, I would like to be able to compete in the future and want a 9mm that would help my shooting abilites. Both guns feel good. The S&W has those three grips that are nice and feel great, but I am looking for accuracy. The only MP rental at my range is a 9mm MP compact, they do not have the full size in a 9mm they may have a 40 cal. They definatly do not have the G34.

All that being said, Is it worth the extra money for the G34?

·
Registered
405 Posts
get the full size or wait until the Pro series comes out with the 5in barrel.. I'd stay full if you want to carry it and use for self defense as it's going to be easier to conceal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Comparing the MP9 to the G34 is not an apples to apples comparison. You should compare the MP9 to the G17. The G34 is a competition/tactical weapon with a lot of bells and whistles not found on production Glocks.

While the Glock 17 is a closer comparision to the full sized M&P, I think your comment about the Glcok 34 having "a lot of bells and whistles not found on production Glocks" is overstated.

The G34 comes with a 3.5 pound connector compared to the G17 5 pound connector. The G34 also comes with a slightly extended slide release and mag release. Each of these three parts are easy and cheap to add to the G17. I would not call three parts "a lot of bells and whistles."

By the way, the G34 does also have a longer slider/barrel than the G17.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
5shot said:
The G34 comes with a 3.5 pound connector compared to the G17 5 pound connector. The G34 also comes with a slightly extended slide release and mag release. Each of these three parts are easy and cheap to add to the G17. I would not call three parts "a lot of bells and whistles."

There are three controls on a Glock. The G34 uses competition-oriented versions of all three. How many more "bells & whistles" can they put in there?

·
Registered
373 Posts
How about the 1" additional sight radius which will of course include a longer slide and barrel for balance and ballistics efficiency. I would consider longer barrel, slide, extended slide stop, reduced connector, and an extended mag release to be additional bells and whistles over the standard Glock - not to forget the cheesy adjustable sights. Is it worth the extra money, damn bet ya the G34 is worth the extra $$$.

I was merely rendering insight and a futile attempt to remain unbiased in a comparison. So the bells in whistles includes a lot more than a mere three parts when looked at from a broad comparison.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I shoot my full size M&P much better than I ever did my 34. Even with Heinie sights and a trigger job I wasn't satisfied with the way I shot that gun.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah agreed. I was kind of surprised by that statement. I have always been a big fan of the G34 and G35. The longer sight radius worked for me even if it was all in my head. I've switched to M&P's because they are much more ergonomic and in .40 and .45 I can shoot faster and more accurately than Glock. I like the M&P trigger better with the exception of the reset but that has not been a big issue for me. Glock has a very distinct reset. M&P less so.

5shot said:
[quote name='gtmtnbiker98']Comparing the MP9 to the G34 is not an apples to apples comparison. You should compare the MP9 to the G17. The G34 is a competition/tactical weapon with a lot of bells and whistles not found on production Glocks.

While the Glock 17 is a closer comparision to the full sized M&P, I think your comment about the Glcok 34 having "a lot of bells and whistles not found on production Glocks" is overstated.

By the way, the G34 does also have a longer slider/barrel than the G17.[/quote]

·
Registered
70 Posts
I find the M&P grip angle, grip shape and trigger to be better for me than Glock's, although I've only shot Glocks with the 5.5 lb. trigger. I bought a fullsize M&P 9 a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. Its soft shooting and accurate. The grip is very ergonomic and the pistol points more naturally than my Glock.

If you're looking for accuracy, then you really should try to shoot both. I doubt that there is much difference in the mechanical accuracy of the two. Your accuracy with either will depend on how the gun fits your hand, how it points for you and how much you practice with it. You won't be able to judge the first two factors without shooting the guns. Personally, I am much more accurate with my M&P than with my Glock.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I took my MP9 out yesterday for a few hundred rounds and have determined that this is my favorite pistol. My trigger has smoothed out to a point that it is better than my tuned G34 and G17 with #3.5 (#4.5 if you're being technical) connectors. Bear in mind, my pistol is almost at the 1,000 round mark 974 to be exact and doesn't have any trigger enhancements. The more I shoot the thing, the better it feels and I must say, nothing feels as good as my M&Ps with the medium grip insert.

I'm going to shoot the MP9 at our next IDPA match just to see whether or not my times improve. I just had to work out some reliability issues since I experienced a couple FTExtracts in the beginning but have ran 700+ rounds without a single issue.

So, the MP9 is going to be a hard pistol to beat and for the price, who can complain? I recently purchased an MP45 for $469 and I can't even get a regular 9/40/357 Glock at that price!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thats a great price on a .45. Mine was $525. The dark green/brown one I saw yesterday was going for $574. Guess they are gouging to get the new color.

With new Glocks I always bought new sights, extended slide stop, and .35 connector (as you say really 4.5) right off the top which added to the price. I didn't have to buy a thing with the M&P. Then again the cost of M&P mags balances things out with the Glock.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
At leat Sig mags are more readily available and you can get them cheap at places like CDNN. M&P's haven't been out long enough to get god deals on or even be easy to find in some cases.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts