MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or is it common to see light between the slide and frame? I just saw and traded for my first M&P last night (9mm) and upon inspecting it for wear, damage, abnormalities, etc, I noticed there was light between the slide and frame in the action area when looking at the profile. No mag in. I asked the guy at the counter and the owner if that was normal and was told yes. I had no other M&P's to compare with so I believed them.

Do you M&P owners see this too? Is the frame really that far away from the frame..what appears to be around 1/16th of an inch? I'm only used to my beretta 92 which is pretty much touching with no gap.

Sorry i don't have pictures...the DOJ has it stored for 10 lovely days.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet. Thanks.

And btw, that is one bitchen gun! This will be a long 10 days (9 now)! Just wish the finish wasn't so ugly.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I've seen the light.....can I get a AMEN

You will grow to love the MP

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Ironchef said:
Sweet. ... Just wish the finish wasn't so ugly.

You can get the slide painted pink if you like, another guy on the forum did (he SAYS he did it for his wife) and then paint the frame a nice chartreuse http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/. You'd have the prettiest lethal weapon on your block. S&W is even offering the M&P with pink polymer grip inserts (Crimson Trace take notice).

Or just set it next to a Glock, looks real purdy then.

Jeff 9mm M&P said:
I've read a few times on the forum that the gun was designed purposely that way to let air in to cool the gun.
O.K., now we're just getting silly, how could the M&P possibly be any cooler? (rhetorical)

The M&P slide doesn't extend down into the frame like the 1911 design. Two steel housings in the frame extend up into the slide and contact in 4 places, 2 guides on the locking block and 2 guides on the sear block. It is not the only gun that has this and it does not do anything to hinder performance. The designers probably could have slapped on some extra material to keep sand out but that would get in the way when the frame flexes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if I'll get soot on my hands after firing it a bunch with that gap around the action? Do you guys get your hands dirty shooting your M&Ps?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ironchef said:
I wonder if I'll get soot on my hands after firing it a bunch with that gap around the action? Do you guys get your hands dirty shooting your M&Ps?

Yes it just wrecks my manicure....

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
longhuntr74 said:
[quote name='Ironchef']I wonder if I'll get soot on my hands after firing it a bunch with that gap around the action? Do you guys get your hands dirty shooting your M&Ps?

Yes it just wrecks my manicure....
[/quote]

I originally thought I was getting a burn though that gap but later realized it was just the take down lever raking my thumb.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think it looks bad and is something they need to work on, but its normal and it doesn't affect anything.

·
Registered
475 Posts
BW1911 said:
Getting a MP and seeing the light is normal

If I'm reading this the way I think you intended it to be read... I like it! lol.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Slick26 said:
I think it looks bad and is something they need to work on, but its normal and it doesn't affect anything.

Actually, it does affect something: it keeps the gun running under certain environmental extremes and conditions. So it's not something they're going to work on, because it's that way by design.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Slick26 said:
[quote name='BW1911']Getting a MP and seeing the light is normal

If I'm reading this the way I think you intended it to be read... I like it! lol.[/quote]

Yeah, we're on the same page here. Revelations 1.0

·
Registered
475 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='Slick26']I think it looks bad and is something they need to work on, but its normal and it doesn't affect anything.

Actually, it does affect something: it keeps the gun running under certain environmental extremes and conditions. So it's not something they're going to work on, because it's that way by design.[/quote]

I suppose this is a major flaw by other gun manufacturers then.

Even supposing that it is designed that way, it still looks bad. Or at least sloppy.

I still love my M&P, and won't hold this against it... I'm just saying it doesn't look as nice as other, tighter fitting guns.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
:roll:

It was Smith's way of avoiding the problems that Glock et al have had under the heat of extreme rapid fire, especially when a flashlight is mounted on the front rail.

There are a lot of things that are different from one gun design to the next. It doesn't always mean a defect. Just different approaches to solving problems.

I never would have even noticed the gap if folks hadn't mentioned it here so many times. Then again, I understand that for a gun like the M&P it's not slide-to-frame tightness that affects accuracy.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
ToddG said:
:roll:

for a gun like the M&P it's not slide-to-frame tightness that affects accuracy.

Why is the M&P more accurate than most of the centerfire handguns at the range? At first I thought it was luck, because I'm by no means experienced, but other folks shoot very well with it too. My instructor is affiliated with Glock, he carries a G35 and he shoots as well or better with my M&P40.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Well, you might just have a really accurate M&P.

Have you had or done any trigger work to your pistol? A smooth, crisp trigger with minimal overtravel will deliver better practical accuracy in most people's hands.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
ToddG said:
Well, you might just have a really accurate M&P.

Have you had or done any trigger work to your pistol? A smooth, crisp trigger with minimal overtravel will deliver better practical accuracy in most people's hands.

No trigger work yet. I haven't been successful talking Mr. B into doing a trigger job for me. I hope it's just because he's too busy right now. I'd hate to go with second best, but can you recommend anyone else who does M&P trigger work near his quality? The local guy says "I don't do many pistols". Hmm, never a good sign. PM me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts