MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my girlfriend is getting the MP 9C (pretty sure shes decided on it) tomorrow. I own a full size MP 40 for a while now and love it.

Big thing is there any thing special I should know about these compact 9's. I assume they are as dependable as the fullsize counterpart. Ill be searching thru the forums for the next couple of days trying to glean more info but anything thats a bid deal I would like to get a quick heads up about.

Thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nothing really different about the compacts. Pretty straight forward. Just smaller.

Everything operates the same. Just make sure she tries out all 3 back straps and choose the one that fits her best. And dry fire it to practice getting used to the trigger... and to smooth it out.

That's about it. Everything is the same.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
MADMAX22 said:
Big thing is there any thing special I should know about these compact 9's. I assume they are as dependable as the fullsize counterpart. Ill be searching thru the forums for the next couple of days trying to glean more info but anything thats a bid deal I would like to get a quick heads up about.

Thanks
Yes ----> warning... S&W products are as addicting as crack! Once you've caught the disease there is no cure... your only hope is to keep feeding the addiction with more S&W products!

Ok I'll be serious... well that was half serious. Anyway I just picked up a 9c to go with my M&P45 and haven't had a chance to fire it yet. All I can advise is to make sure get a fairly current version. Have her check the serial number. The prefix wil be MPSomething as in MPA, B, C...etc I think anything after MPN or so should be fine. Plenty of time for the few bugs to get worked out. Mine starts with MPW. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh and hang onto this girlfriend. The lady has taste in guns!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I didnt realize the earlier guns had any bugs. I have a MP40 MPA6 that hasnt had any issues so far but Ill take a look or remind her tomorrow. If this thing is as dependible as my gun Ill be happy.

Im pretty sure shell like it. She shoots my 40 with me but doesnt like the 40 round very much, she loves shooting the 45 with mild ammo or 38's thru a ruger 357 she was shooting. I think the 9 will do her good.

Plus I think Ill be able to "borrow" the 9 for testing sometimes :wink:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have an MPL 9c, and I've had no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Had a weird front sight that needed to be replaced, and the tool in the backstrap needed to be replaced, but the gun fires perfectly, and straight too. Its a good gun.

And +1 on the rebate form, lol. Need that.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
You destroy it with a pair of pliers trying to remove it the first time. 8)

·
Registered
280 Posts
They could definitely stand to make a more durable backstrap holder thingy (I forget the actual name at the moment)
The notch on it tends to wear out if you swap out pieces a few dozen times...it really has no effect on the functionality of the weapon, but I wouldn't like it to just fall out while shooting one day.

·
Registered
475 Posts
TAC said:
Wow, what could possibly go wrong with that?

The little plastic blob/knob about halfway down the side of it just fell off, so it won't lock into place and works its way out slowly while shooting.

choochboost said:
You destroy it with a pair of pliers trying to remove it the first time. 8)

Smartass.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL sounds like when I first got my MP40, that poor little nub is all rounded off now and messed up.

Anyways the girl picked up her gun today. Nice little piece, I noticed the slide release is alot easier then my older model. Her MP9C is a MPW---- so its far newer then my MPA model.

One thing really quick, it came with two mags and one has a normal flat bottom and the other has the little finger extender installed on it. Which one is correst or do they do one of each.Seemed kind of odd they would ship with two different types.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The compacts are shipped with 2 mags with both baseplates as you discovered.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It is a poor design... and I told them how I felt about that. However, at the same time, I am completely willing to let them ship me a new one and make it right.

But I told the CS guy if it happened again and again, I'll just keep calling for a new one. Hahaha.

Until they either find a new way of doing it, or I get one that finally doesn't wear down and fall off.

With that little issue in mind, I don't consider it a major functioning issue, and will not tell people not to buy an M&P because of it. As long as the gun itself operates the way it should, I'm happy.

Its just nice when a company takes that much pride in CS and their customers.

If something like that were to happen with any number of other guns, and companies, they'd act as if YOU did something to it, and there isn't any possible way something could malfunction on THEIR gun... its perfect. :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
MADMAX22 said:
One thing really quick, it came with two mags and one has a normal flat bottom and the other has the little finger extender installed on it. Which one is correst or do they do one of each.Seemed kind of odd they would ship with two different types.

I read that their reasoning for one of each mag is that people with larger hands find the extended mag a bit more comfortable. That along with the three grips gives you more flexibilty in weeing what feels best.

When I was test firing one to see which I should buy, I shot from both magazines on the rental. Having smaller hands, they both felt fine to me. When my order goes through, i'm still not sure what to choose for the extra magazines on the rebate. I didn't check to see if they give you a choice.

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts