MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just purchased a full size 9mm yesterday took it to the range yesterday afternoon. Very nice gun, had 2 failure to ejects within the first 3 mags but it don't expect any new pistol to be 100% before a few hundred rounds through it.

Here in MA we have several (stupid) laws that a handgun must pass to be sold. One of them is that a double action must have a trigger pull of 10 pounds. The salesman at the shop where Purchased my M&P mentioned a kit of some kind to convert the MA compliant 10lb back to a all other state 6-6.5lb trigger. Anyone know of such a kit?

I have been poking around and read plenty of great things about Burwell Gunsmithing, am I better off sending my pistol in for a trigger job. I consider myself mechanically inclined, but as far as gunsmithing goes I’m not so sure of my skills to do the work myself. However I have assembled an AR-15 with the great help available at AR15.com.

I know I want to get rid of that 10lb trigger, but help me decide what route to take.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Call and talk to jeff at S&W customer service. He will tell you what you need.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I too have a Massachusetts compliant M&P, the trigger does need a little help. I do get worried about the legalities of doing a trigger job. I know it's a stretch but if I ever did have to shoot someone and the gun was confiscated would there be an issue? Or if I ever had to bring it back to S&W for any warranty work would they not work on it because it has been modified? Massachusetts is the most gun hating state in the nation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MA Trigger

Hi,

I bought a M&P 40 yesterday in here in Massachusetts. I was surprised to find the dealer had pistols in stock without the magazine safety and without the internal lock. This is what I bought. The dealer had been to the armorers school and after it was bought and paid for he changed out the return spring with a standard one.

The trigger pull is definitely lighter but a little heavier than 6-1/2 #, more like 8#.

After lurking around here last night I suspect there maybe a couple of other parts to be changed?

I called S&W customer service and they said it couldn't be done....

I looked at the schematic at Brownells and they show 3 versions of part no. 25 (sear housing) but only sell 2 of them. The don't sell the No IL / No MS version that I have. I called Brownells and they said it is a restricted part only sold to S&W armorers: part no.: 390900000

Can anyone tell me if the spring in the return housing is the only difference?

Regards, Clint

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My M&P came with no internal lock and no mag safety and 10 pound MA trigger. I ordered from Brownells the block with a mag safety, and installed my original takedown lever and spring into the new block. A while ago I read instructions with photos on how to swap those parts. I did it from memory, not very difficult anyway. I have not been to the range yet, but while dry firing the trigger is noticeably lighter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have e-mailed Dan Burwell on this issue and he wont even respond to me. Guess the MA compliant trigger is one he doesn't want to touch

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nutshell,

I wouldn't write off Dan just yet, i know he uses email filters for spam. You might not be getting through. I emailed him a few weeks ago and got a quick response. Maybe try a quick IM to let him know about the email.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New sear block for Mass trigger.

I also have a Mass compliant 10 lb trigger. I called Smith & Wessons parts line and , Was told that they could only sell sear block assys. to armorers . So then i went to brownells web site . In the catalog on line it states that , the sear block can only be sold to armorers . So i am out of options as where to go for this part . If anyone can help with a reply it would be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
36 Posts
More than just the sear block

In addition to the sear block the trigger bar is different -stepper angle and the trigger return spring is also heavier. This is according to an engineer who worked on the design of the M&P. I spoke FTF with him at a S&W match in Springfield.

·
Registered
169 Posts
chefdog said:
Nutshell,

I wouldn't write off Dan just yet, i know he uses email filters for spam. You might not be getting through. I emailed him a few weeks ago and got a quick response. Maybe try a quick IM to let him know about the email.

Could be, I have been e-mailing him from work, I'll give it a shot

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ordering from Brownells

I ordered all of the parts needed yesterday from Brownells with no issues and I am not an FFL holder. I had to get the sear block with the IL and the MS, but I can swap my parts if needed to make it the way I want it.

So, no special status needed at Brownells!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
There is no special status needed to buy parts from S&W either. I would call back and talk with someone else.

The parts needed to convert a 10lb. trigger to factory 6.5lb. trigger are:

Sear Block

Trigger Bar

Trigger Spring

·
Registered
22 Posts
My parts are in and a Question

I received my order from Brownells. I had to order the block with IL/MS and I removed the Mag safety with no problem, just replace the parts from mine to the new one.

However I do not know how to remove the Lock mechanism. Any help would be appreciated.

I put the new block and trigger spring into the gun and all I can say is "this is more like it!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
6 1/2 LB Trigger....Finally

As I stated in an earlier post, my M&P 40 has the MA 10# trigger but no MS or IL. I ordered a new trigger bar, return spring from S&W. They were out of sear blocks. Brownell finally got the sear blocks with the MS but no IL back in stock. I ordered it on Sunday and got it today. I swapped the sear disconnect and spring from my original "no MS" sear block into the new sear block and then put all the new parts in the gun. I now have a 6-1/2 lb trigger. I just got back from the range. It is alot easier to shoot the pistol accurately now your not pulling for all your worth.

Here is what I now know. S&W will not sell you the regular sear block with no IL / no MS unless you are a S&W armorer. This doesn't really matter as you can get the block with no IL and then just remove the MS. The versions with and without the MS do use different springs in the sear disconnect though.

Clint

·
Registered
373 Posts
Is this trigger modification legal in your state? Just curious in how this differs from cutting the barrel off of a shotgun below the legal length; but justifying the action by legally purchasing a hack saw to do so. Just curious, I would hate to see anybody get arrested on a weapons charge, especially in that liberal state.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its all about the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Regulations.

Summary of the Attorney General 940 CMR 16.00 et seq. regulations

The regulation is a manufacturing specification that requires at least the following:

Performance Test... Limits of Accuracy Test...Metallurgical Test... Drop Test... 10 lb Trigger Pull... Hidden Serial Number... Loaded Round Indicator or Magazine Disconnect... Detailed Safety Briefing and Disclosures... Approved Lock (from Dealer).

The laws don’t allow a new firearm to be purchased unless it meets the criteria, but there is nothing in the regulations about modifications after you own it.

To your shotgun example, the possession of the sawn off is the illegal act.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: MA Trigger

w1lp said:
Hi,

I bought a M&P 40 yesterday in here in Massachusetts. I was surprised to find the dealer had pistols in stock without the magazine safety and without the internal lock. This is what I bought. The dealer had been to the armorers school and after it was bought and paid for he changed out the return spring with a standard one.

The trigger pull is definitely lighter but a little heavier than 6-1/2 #, more like 8#.

After lurking around here last night I suspect there maybe a couple of other parts to be changed?

I called S&W customer service and they said it couldn't be done....

I looked at the schematic at Brownells and they show 3 versions of part no. 25 (sear housing) but only sell 2 of them. The don't sell the No IL / No MS version that I have. I called Brownells and they said it is a restricted part only sold to S&W armorers: part no.: 390900000

Can anyone tell me if the spring in the return housing is the only difference?

Regards, Clint

I'm also a MA resident, and got the same answers from S&W...the sear housing is a "restricted part" and will only be sold to armorers. I have one on back order from Browells, but its been 10+ weeks and they still dont have them. The guy at S&W als said that Brownells and Midway are not supposed to sell them either. I'm wondering if this item only pops up as "restricted" for MA residents?

I hate living in this state.

-cjb

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: MA Trigger

I'm also a MA resident, and got the same answers from S&W...the sear housing is a "restricted part" and will only be sold to armorers. I have one on back order from Browells, but its been 10+ weeks and they still dont have them. The guy at S&W als said that Brownells and Midway are not supposed to sell them either. I'm wondering if this item only pops up as "restricted" for MA residents?

I hate living in this state.

-cjb

I, too, am waiting on Brownells. I also wonder if S&W is getting some pressure from their own lawyers or maybe the state guys to NOT send out the standard sear which gets around the 10lb trigger mandate. Creeping paranoia? :?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's not illegal for us Mass guys to change out trigger weights. It is however illegal for a dealer to sell a brand new gun that does not have at least a ten pound trigger if it's not for competition use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts