MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to do some hiking in the Cascade mountains this summer. I have a gun, so it will be with me. I know that humans are the most likely of my concerns, but I still want to be prepared for the largest animal that I could face, bears. I am not going to pretend that my .40 is ideal for stopping a bear, but it's better than my hands. Would changing to the .357 be a much better option for a survival gun in the woods??

Do I just need to get a new barrel to change my .40 into a .357? Are they available yet?

What are the main advantages in changing over to .357 SIG?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
No. And it won't be.

The .40 and 357Sig models are the only ones that may be interchangeable with just a barrel change. Somebody might also make a 9mm conversion barrel for the .40/357Sig guns; but that is probably way down the road (if it's even possible).

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
No. And it won't be.

The .40 and 357Sig models are the only ones that may be interchangeable with just a barrel change. Somebody might also make a 9mm conversion barrel for the .40/357Sig guns; but that is probably way down the road (if it's even possible).

grrrr, guess i better trade off my 454 and get me one then....he

thanks buddy

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You could always buy a whole slide assembly in .40; but you are money ahead to just buy a whole new pistol. I also don't know if the ejector is different b/t the 9mm and .40.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
You could always buy a whole slide assembly in .40; but you are money ahead to just buy a whole new pistol. I also don't know if the ejector is different b/t the 9mm and .40.

Think your right Yukon. Just be wise to buy the 40 cal or .45 acp when the price drops a little. Man I cant wait for either of them!!!!! Thanks for the info brother

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you have to use a .40, I'd load up with double taps ammo's 200 grain ammo. I suppose controlled expansion or the FMJ-FP would be closest to what you need. Others can chime in on bullet design that best suits your needs....

But the .40 is NOT a bear cartridge. I mean, really, by carrying that you are BETTING ON LUCK. That's not what are looking to do, so really buy a wheel gun if bears are a real concern and possibility. The .40 would piss a bear off, that's just brutal honesty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I regularly shoot both .40 S&W & .357 SIG.

Have to agree that you're gaining nothing for bear defense by converting from .40 S&W to .357 SIG. I have a Browning Hi-Power .40 S&W with a KKM Precision .357 SIG conversion barrel. In fact, my barrel was among the first ones Kevin McIntyre (KKM) built. I did it mostly for the novelty factor. After extensive shooting with both barrels I believe the heavier .40 S&W bullets would be preferred if my BHP was pressed into emergency bear defense service. But again, certainly NOT the caliber for the job!

Ruger .44 mag Blackhawks can sometimes be found at a bargain. They make REALLY DURABLE trail guns and are cheaper than an S&W 629. Let me put it this way...I would rather press a .44 mag wheelgun into use against humans in the backwoods than be forced to defend myself against a bear with a .40 S&W autoloader. If bear encounters are a common occurance, have some HEAVY DUTY Tear Gas Spray and a slug-loaded 12 gauge pump gun.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: I regularly shoot both .40 S&W & .357 SIG.

ClosetCaseNerd said:
...But the .40 is NOT a bear cartridge. I mean, really, by carrying that you are BETTING ON LUCK. That's not what are looking to do, so really buy a wheel gun if bears are a real concern and possibility. The .40 would piss a bear off, that's just brutal honesty.
Thanks, CCN. I agree with everything you wrote.

I would like to get a revolver for the woods, but money won't allow it now. I have been eyeing the S&W 357PD (.41 mag) or the 329PD (.44 mag), for when I happen upon an extra grand.

The .40 is certainly NOT enough for a big bear, but maybe for a 100-200 pound bear? I do not expect to run into any Grizzlies where I'm going, and I should have been more clear. I have been told that average Brown and Black bears are only around 200-250 pounds. Hopefully, if I prepare for a bear, I will be more able to defend against another predator, like the cougar. Honestly, I would be more concerned with a cat attack than a bear - they don't give you any warning.

As for all caliber wars, shot placement is paramount. Also, assuming that I have some distance between a bear and myself, I expect that the first shot will be a warning shot into the ground. If a bear hears the gunshot, but feels no pain, just maybe it will reconsider the attack.

Ghost Tracker said:
Have to agree that you're gaining nothing for bear defense by converting from .40 S&W to .357 SIG... After extensive shooting with both barrels I believe the heavier .40 S&W bullets would be preferred if my BHP was pressed into emergency bear defense service. But again, certainly NOT the caliber for the job!

Ruger .44 mag Blackhawks can sometimes be found at a bargain. They make REALLY DURABLE trail guns and are cheaper than an S&W 629. Let me put it this way...I would rather press a .44 mag wheelgun into use against humans in the backwoods than be forced to defend myself against a bear with a .40 S&W autoloader. If bear encounters are a common occurance, have some HEAVY DUTY Tear Gas Spray and a slug-loaded 12 gauge pump gun.
Thanks. The .40 vs. .357 opinion is helpful. I do not get the impression that bear encounters are "common". For the hiking that I do, a long-gun is much too heavy and cumbersome, but I do agree that it would be best.

Your last comment got me to thinking. I don't know about the majority opinion on this, but.... Personally, I would rather have a .22 against a human, than have a .44 mag against a large, attacking bear. A bear does not know what a gun is, nor does it know what should happen when it gets shot. Your point is still understood, and valid.

I should look at that Ruger more. Does it have the quality of the S&W revolvers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts