MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment I am trying to convince myself to what 9mm fire arm to get.

I am trying to decide between CZ-75 SP-01 Shadow and the M&P9.

I think they are both good guns for IPSC and for a start.

I read tons of reviews and I am a bit confused.

Personally I like the MP9 more then the CZ. I like one particullar model of CZ the CZ 75 TS.

I would like to start IPSC both MP9 and CZ75 SP-01are allowed in production division.

However not the CZ 75 TS this is Standard division.

I am reasoning like this now. I prefere the MP9 for my first pistol. It is not wort it to get the CZ TS 75 in 9mm since this is not a production model and 9mm is the lowest power factor. It would be best to get the CZ 75 TS in .40 SW later. First learn to walk.

Any tip ?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Get the gun you shoot the best. If you don't have a chance to shoot them first, at least get the one which fits in your hand the best. Pull the trigger and see which one results in the least amount of front sight movement. Can you reach the other controls comfortably?

Of course, if you need a 9mm and are picking between these two, then the M&P seems like your only choice. So that should make the decision easier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had exactly the same dilemma..... choosing between a CZ and M&P9 for my production pistol. I went for the M&P. Never regretted the choice.

·
Registered
559 Posts
One thing to consider is that the CZ is a considerably heavier pistol. This may influence your transitions between targets and shot-to-shot recovery.

I have two -75Bs and like them. I don't think you'll go wrong with either gun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys for your input, I am new to this and appriciate your help.

I am convinced now, M&P 9mm will be my 1st gun, this week it will be settled.

As stated before I do not like all the CZ's. (ok look is not the reason for a choice) however there is one CZ I like to have in the future and that's the CZ 75 TS IPSC.

However it is not suited for production entry hence its out for now. It can go in standard division, then it is not wort it to get it in 9mm. The best is to get the CZ TS IPSC for the standard division in the 40 SW version. But that is still far away for me. I need to walk, before running and the M&P 9, I am now convinced it is gonna suite me.

:wink:

Regards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOT MY M&P 9 on Friday I get the transfer done next Monday and take it home

So Tuesday I clean it up and oil it - prepare for Saturday...

Staurday off to the range to get my fist shots with it.

Thanks guys.

PS it is ok if i practice Dry Fire with the Snap Caps on the M&P 9 ?

·
Registered
936 Posts
pss-

You dont need to use snap caps.

check to see that the chambers clear, get all the ammo out of a room and fire away!

·
Registered
308 Posts
sasmalta said:
PS it is ok if i practice Dry Fire with the Snap Caps on the M&P 9 ?

Good luck with it and have fun! Let us know what you think when you get a few rounds through it.

And yes, it is perfectly fine to dry fire, with or without, the snap caps. I do both.

·
Registered
564 Posts
sasmalta said:
At the moment I am trying to convince myself to what 9mm fire arm to get.

I am trying to decide between CZ-75 SP-01 Shadow and the M&P9.

I think they are both good guns for IPSC and for a start.

I read tons of reviews and I am a bit confused.

Personally I like the MP9 more then the CZ. I like one particullar model of CZ the CZ 75 TS.

I would like to start IPSC both MP9 and CZ75 SP-01are allowed in production division.

However not the CZ 75 TS this is Standard division.

I am reasoning like this now. I prefere the MP9 for my first pistol. It is not wort it to get the CZ TS 75 in 9mm since this is not a production model and 9mm is the lowest power factor. It would be best to get the CZ 75 TS in .40 SW later. First learn to walk.

Any tip ?

If you like the M&P9, go for that one. I have been told to buy the gun that you're gong to have the most fun with or you're not going to shoot it. It will just get put in the closet.

·
Registered
380 Posts
mike cyrwus said:
pss-

You dont need to use snap caps.

check to see that the chambers clear, get all the ammo out of a room and fire away!

that sweet... i hate loading and reloading the snap caps.

but why is it ok to dry fire an m&p, when it's usually bad for other guns... is it because it's striker fired, or what?

·
Registered
936 Posts
The only guns Id hesitate to dry fire are 22 rimfire guns and shotguns.

Anything else; revos, semis, 1911's, glocks, cap and balls, flintlocks, go right ahead!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Excessive dry-fire of any centerfire pistol can eventually lead to damage of the firing pin/striker and, in guns so equipped (like the M&P) the firing pin safety mechanism.

When you dry-fire, the striker extends farther than it would if a primer was present to stop it. Various things happen under those circumstances depending on the gun. The striker/pin may bounce, causing damage to the tip as well as the firing pin hole in the breechface. The wider part of the pin may hit the inside of the firing pin channel, raising a burr. The pin might impact the firing pin block, raising a burr there. Almost any of these problems can lead to misfires or, eventually, breakage.

Snap caps are cheap insurance. Another alternative is to check your striker and firing pin safety regularly, and if you see damage replace the parts.

·
Registered
936 Posts
For me, checking my gear and pistol for wear is a given. I guess I might be in the minority.

I also think its safer to keep all ammo and ammo looking stuff (snap caps) far away from a gun while dry-firing. snap caps dont look too different from the real stuff;

especially when you're deep in dryfire land.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stripped the pistol 1st time cleaned it and lubricated it as instructed.

Once you have a Pistol in hand you will start to look at it very carefully and notice thing you could not see at the gun shop. I have two questions maybe you can tell me if this is normal or not I think it is normal but better ask experts.

Picture 1

As you can see just above the slide lock lever between the slide and the frame you can see light from between is this normal :? ?

http://picasaweb.google.com/sasmalta/MyPic...412056975272802

Picture 2

http://picasaweb.google.com/sasmalta/MyPic...412164349455218

Between the rear part of the slide ONLY and the frame where there is some lateral movement ( left and right) like play maybe 0.2mm max. Is this normal :? ? When I stripped the pistol did not see any wear and tear after all its still new.

Thanks [/url]

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is what my M&P looks like too. It is completely normal as the slide moves on a 4 point rail instead of a full length rail as in a 1911 style pistol. I think this was designed as a self cleaning system.

·
Registered
112 Posts
FWIW, I've been using a Bladetech safety barrel when I've done any dry fire or holster practice. $12 for piece of mind that there is no #$#! way (and I do still check it) that this gun is loaded.

I pulled the striker for the first time and other than some dirt (nothing like Todd's gun!) it looked fine. I'll make that something I check reasonably often. I *do* check the firing pin safety each time I clean the gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts