MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your top 5 or top 10 shooting tips?

ie. dont ball up shoulders and so on.

you may explain in detail if needed.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
put it in the red :wink:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The keys for me have been the thumbs forward grip (which also helps me to isolate the trigger finger) and lots of dry-fire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Second on on the thumbs-forward, maintain steady breathing(fire on the end of exhale for accuracy not speed), lots of dry firing and range time is best

·
Registered
326 Posts
The sights are your friend. The front sight is your best friend. Front sight crystal clear, target slightly fuzzy...

(sorry if I butchered that, Mr. Jarrett...)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Focus on the front sight and smooth trigger pull (even if it is fast, it still needs to be smooth). Dry firing really helps with the trigger control.

Have someone load the mag and slip a couple of snap caps in the lineup so you don't know when they are coming up. That will show if you are jerking the trigger (it also helps you get experience/practice in clearing a failure to fire).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Shoot them more than they shoot you...

Seriously though: front sight, front sight, front sight.

And don't dip your head to get a sight picture like Horatio from CSI: Miami. Bring the sights up to your eye level!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Onuma said:
And don't dip your head to get a sight picture like Horatio from CSI: Miami. Bring the sights up to your eye level!

I was at the range the other day and a guy a few stalls away told me that I have a "Horatio" stance....I thought it was funny at first, but now I think I need to do something about it :roll:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Bend your knees and lean forward into the target. Should be on the balls of your feet. Thumbs forward pointing toward target. Determine your dominant eye and then USE it!!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Shooting tips for what, in particular? Bullseye is different from IPSC/IDPA is different from concealed carry, home defense, & etc.

General tips:

1. Practice often. Shooting is a perishable skill.

2. Practice smart. There is a difference between "shooting" and "training".

3. When working on fundamentals, focus on fundamentals. Be relaxed. Not everything has to be about stress inoculation.

4. Push yourself. You should get better if you practice. If your skill level is not changing, you're not practicing effectively.

5. Shoot with a skilled partner. Having someone to compete against will push you to perform. Having someone who can diagnose your shooting will help you to find and fix bad habits.

·
Registered
501 Posts
a) Good .22 pistol (Ruger 22/45 works for me)

b) lots of .22 ammo (my Ruger doesn't mind Remington bulk hollowpoints)

c) exhaust "b' and start over

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Shoot safely...

·
Registered
31 Posts
- Dry fire until you get sick of it..... then dry fire some more.

- Shoot at the range ONLY (and EXCLUSIVELY) with BETTER shooters than yourself.

- Spend a whole lot more on ammo than on the firearm.

- Get ALL the advice/education you can get, and focus on those which you think are beneficial to you.

- Take a video of all your practice sessions and decide for yourself weather or not you did things correctly or not. Don't rely on the opinions of other shooters, because more often than not, they'll say only the things that will make you feel good.... not necessarily what they truly think.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In terms of practicing to carry...

Practice for what you want to be good at, in the same way, progressively to the same speed, as you intend to do 'for real'. Lots of dry-firing (for trigger control), and practice drawing and pointing (for instinctively bringing your CCW to bear). Practice reloading, and the detection and clearing of malfunctions, as if your life depended on it.

For target shooting, it's mostly about stance, breathing, sight alignment, and trigger control... practice those things, find what works for you and your gun.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Top 5?

1 - Trigger control

2 - Trigger control

3 - Trigger control

4 - Trigger control

5 - Trigger control

·
Registered
257 Posts
slushee said:
Slow is Smooth and Smooth is Fast

Thanks Mr. Walberg!

(sorry...had to!)

Below applies to those who carry for defensive purposes.

1) When working marksmanship, don't shoot at 7 yards until you can shoot cloverleaf groups at 5 yards. Don't shoot at 10 yards till you can shoot cloverleaf groups at 7 yards.

2) Don't shoot for group size on human shaped targets...and don't "double tap", etc. bullseye targets.

3) If you put a human shaped target at 5 yards, then draw your gun and take your sweet time getting your stance the way you always like it...then get yourself a picture-perfect sight picture...all your doing is conditioning yourself to fight like ****.

4) Do everything you need to do with the gun, while in a shooting grip. If you set the gun down to load or unload it...or switch hands to do so...all your doing is conditioning yourself to fight like ****.

5) If you pull more than one shot off target...unload and dry fire until you're motionless in your trigger pull.

6) When working holster drills...don't just look, SEE what is around you 360 before you put your gun away.

7) Have a buddy call targets to shoot (numbers on a target, or shapes/ colors on the target), be competitive and push each other!

8) See what you need to see to hit what you need to hit. Don't take forever to put a bullet into a "threat" at 5 yards...center mass is center mass...no need to impress the medical examiner with your group size. Don't rush the headshots at 25 yards, either.

9) Once you've got a hang on things...start having your range partner load you mags and put dummy rounds in your mags. Fight THROUGH the stoppage!

10) Once you can clear jams quickly and instinctively, move as much as you can on your range while doing ALL of the above. Even if it's only a foot or two...MOVE when you go to reload, or when you draw. Ideally, don't stop moving until the you've dumped plenty of ammo into the "threat".

11) If your shooting at a "threat" past 7 yards or so...you should be simulating the use of cover in your shooting.

12) Practice shooting with 1 hand...often.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts