MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing new to report... just that after an evening shooting my G19 (which mostly sits in the safe, as I usually carry my G23) I have come away so impressed with this little pistol that I had to crow a little about it. What a superb gun.

Standard mag gives me 16 rounds in a super easy-to-carry, compact, lightweight, stone reliable, and steadfastly durable defense gun. Accuracy? Awesome! Potency? Speer 124 gr. +P Gold Dots will do their part quite well indeed if I put them where they need to go. And with the G19, that's so easy to do!

I loaded up 17-rounds of 124 gr. +P Gold Dots in a G17 mag, popped it in my G19 and in VERY short order dropped all 17 rounds within an inch or so at a range of about 20 feet. For a target gun, that's not a big deal, by any means, but to do so in fairly rapid fire, free hand, from a defense gun like the G19 speaks a lot to me. (And I've got a whole bunch of super accurate 1911's I could be shooting too.) This gun is so soft shooting, comfortable, reliable, accurate, and easy to pack - it really does push on the borders of "perfection".

So, nothing more to say except that I honestly believe that the G19 may actually be Glock "perfection"!
Dare I say, "I love this gun!"

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should mention that on my G19 (and G23, G29, G30) I have put in a 3.5# connector (giving an effective trigger pull of about 4.75#) and installed smooth-faced trigger shoes. That, plus a little polishing here and there, results in a great trigger pull on the Glock.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
All of my Glocks are stock but I ordered and received (just haven't installed them yet) a couple 3.5# connectors and NY1 trigger springs. That combo supposedly makes for a very smooth and crisp trigger pull. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
You guys know I love my M&P but I still love my Glocks as well. I have a feeling that given the current political climate we're going to see another AWB introduced in 08. My plan is to get one more G19 for the collection. That will give me two G17s, two G19s and a G26. Then I can turn my attention to accumulating M&Ps :twisted:

If new legislation is introduced I want all my Glocks in order so that I don't have to scramble around at the last minute looking for M&Ps and Glocks. I'll have one (and hopefully both) finished by then.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The fact that I loved the size of my friends G19 so much gave me the balls to cut the grip down on my M&P!!! I'm also going to try to find a second generation G19 but you don't see too many for sale, owners just don't want to get rid of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it's the best carry pistol ever designed for defense against two-legged critters. Easy summer carry under a t-shirt. I carry 147gr +P Gold Dots.

I stopped counting at 20k rounds through mine a couple years ago. I replace the guide rod and a few springs twice a year. Total cost for new parts is under $15.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My fiancee carries a Glock 19... personally, I wish she'd carry an M&P. I hate the feel of the gun, it is akward in my hand and none of the glocks i've tried sit right.

I'm glad you have enjoyed it, however. Good to know that the statement "one man's trash is another man's treasure" actually does crop up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grim... I can certainly understand your fiancee's choice in the G19. On the other hand, no doubt there are plenty of people who prefer other gun models over Glocks. True of any gun you can name. On the other hand, there is no denying the incredible popularity of Glocks, the Glock 19 and Glock 23 in particular. Glock has earned an incredibly enviable position in the marketplace by producing a superb product and they certainly don't need my help to bolster their reputation. There are a lot of good choices available, I like the XD guns a lot, USP Compact with C&L ability, and I like the M&P a lot, except that I don't trust the mag catch on them and prefer the greater capacity offered by Glock. Among all of these models, personally I prefer the Glock 23 and Glock 19. Second choice would go to the XD Compact. Then the USP Compact. But I do see merits in all of them.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
DHart said:
Grim... I can certainly understand your fiancee's choice in the G19. On the other hand, no doubt there are plenty of people who prefer other gun models over Glocks. True of any gun you can name. On the other hand, there is no denying the incredible popularity of Glocks, the Glock 19 and Glock 23 in particular. Glock has earned an incredibly enviable position in the marketplace by producing a superb product and they certainly don't need my help to bolster their reputation. There are a lot of good choices available, I like the XD guns a lot, USP Compact with C&L ability, and I like the M&P a lot, except that I don't trust the mag catch on them and prefer the greater capacity offered by Glock. Among all of these models, personally I prefer the Glock 23 and Glock 19. Second choice would go to the XD Compact. Then the USP Compact. But I do see merits in all of them.

If I bought my stuff based solely on popularity, I would probably end up doing heroin or crack, I heard they are popular :wink:

J/king

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grimwulff said:
If I bought my stuff based solely on popularity, I would probably end up doing heroin or crack, I heard they are popular :wink:
J/king

Just curious... why would you choose to buy something based mostly on popularity? I buy products I like and to heck with what's popular.

BTW, I think Glock's popularity is closely associated with the merits/qualities of the guns. Most Glock shooters LOVE their guns.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If my M&P had not had the mag drop problem and if my M&P had not failed to feed some JHP's that I tried, I never would have preferred a Glock over the M&P(sometimes something good can come from something bad).

A mirror-like polish of the feed ramp has eliminated the FTF problem but it would take a major factory redesign of the mag catch and the ill-fitting mag / mag-well for me to regain confidence in a M&P for CCW. IMHO, this problem is a design flaw and will eventually surface with an unpredictable percentage of M&P's that are out there shooting fine now. Even with a new M&P, I invariably would be waiting for the dreaded event to occur.

I love the M&P for range duty and likely will keep it for a long time for that function but my G26 has proven itself by being stone reliable from day one right out of the box. By the way, I purchased the M&P BEFORE purchasing the Glock.

DHart: I am happy with the G26 and refrain from even thinking about a G19. I'm afraid to even try one out of fear that I might have to own a 19 also.............and many would call me a glockaholic..........I think one Glock is fine. :wink:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
woodspirits... I am in complete agreement with you on not being comfortable trusting the M&P mag catch anymore. I too believe that a number of M&P's that don't exhibit the problem now, will ultimately develop the problem. Some will argue that just replacing the inexpensive mag catch will make everything good again, but to me that's a band-aid, not a solution. Perhaps in a few years if these issues become completely unheard of I might reconsider... but not for some time. No problem, though, as I'm thrilled with my Glocks. As for your 26.. awesome gun! BUT, if you were ever to try the 19, you would have one for sure. I can pack a 19 just as easily as a 26 and the extra grip area and mag capacity is worth a lot to me! Anyway... enjoy that 26... they are totally cool little guns! I'm trying to resist buying a 26, as they're such nice little guns... but truth be told, I truly don't need one.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Where were all you G19 lovers when I sold my 3 week old 3rd gen w/3.5# LWD connector? Gun only had 30rds through it, but I practically had to give that **** away to a guy on silencertalk.com.

The CTC grips and LWD theaded barrel gave it potential, but not enough to keep it. I just can't bring myself to like them.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I think it's funny that people who can't trust the M&P (because of a problem in a limited period of production) happily laud the Glock 19 (which has had an infamously long period of trouble with, among others, NYPD). I owned one, it suffered the dreaded "Phase III Malfunction" about 30 times in 6,000 rounds.

I'm not saying the G19 is a bad gun. If I were to buy a Glock, it would almost certainly be another G19. But it certainly has its own jaded history.

Unlike Glock, which denied the problem publicly even while at the same time offering a series of failed "solutions" to NYPD, Smith has at least diagnosed the cause of the mag drops. They created a fix that will solve the problem for the vast majority of people, and they've been replacing the frames of those people whose guns were produced far enough out of spec to be unfixable. Oh, and they changed the dimensional tolerance on the frame so the problem won't happen anymore.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ToddG said:
I think it's funny that people who can't trust the M&P... happily laud the Glock 19....

Todd... I was wondering how long it would take for you to pop up here and play the "expert", defensive of any criticism of the M&P and critical of appreciation for competing choices.

I'm not here to debate histories, company policies, yada, yada, yada... I started this thread simply to share my appreciation for the superb gun that the G19 has evolved to become TODAY!

Glad it amuses you so! Enjoy! Your defensiveness amuses me. And it's news to me that the M&P's mag drop problem has been solved! :roll: You must have some very special inside information that you would like to trust. How wonderful to hear! :wink: In a few years, we will truly know for sure the long term durability and reliability of the M&P. I wish it well, because it has a good start and a number of nice design features. It's not long term tested nor proven, nor quite ready for prime time, though, in MY opinion. These things can take some years. I chose to be among the early adopters with my MP - version N and served long and vigorously on the beta team of field testers trying to help shake out the problems. I have expressed my appreciation for S&W in trying to solve the problems with my gun. They are a stand up company. No one has said they weren't. As it is, with my experience and knowledge of the problems others have had, for now, I will place my trust for defense purposes in other platforms. You can trust what you wish without censure from me.

Have an amused evening. :wink:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts