MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to take my new (and first) Glock 10mm out for a spin today. Fired a box of the HOT DoubleTap rounds through it (yes, just a box. 10mm ammo is definitely not cheap).

Basically, I was a little surprised because after reading all the hype on the 10mm forums about the "magnum like" performance of these hot loads, I braced myself for some hellacious recoil and it ended up being not much different from my .45's really. I don't know if this is attributable to the low bore axis of the Glock or something else. Maybe I'm just very "manly"

I do not get why people make such a big deal over the Glock's grip angle. I do not find it to be dramatically odd at all. Seemed to point just fine for me. It is a pretty wide grip, front to back, though. Easily the largest grip of any handgun I own. Definitely not a design for small hands (girlie men need not apply
)

Functioned flawlessly through 50 rounds of the DoubleTap out of three different magazines. I was relatively accurate with it and seemed like I was getting the sights back on target fairly quickly, so the recoil and/or muzzle flip was not really all that bad. However, I have already ordered a Wolff SS guiderod and a #24 recoil spring for it since the whole idea of a plastic guide rod just gives me the willies. :?

The documented stats on the DoubleTap 165gr Gold Dot 10mm ammo is pretty impressive. Sizzling velocity and in the standard FBI demin-and-gelatin test it expanded to 1.02". That's a pretty big tunnel to make through a bad guy. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The G20 has a very loyal following. Not just among Glock owners but among 10mm fans as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based purely on stats, especially for the excellent DoubleTap brand, I don't understand why 10mm has not developed a larger following. The ballistics reported for the various "models" of 10mm rounds offered by DT are all pretty sweet. The "big name" factory 10mm loads are mostly "FBI Lite" loads, so they tend to be, ballistically, not much different from the standard run of the mill .40 load. It is only when loaded up to the originally intended power level does the 10mm really start to shine and stand out as worth at least further investigation.

Interesting to me is that the 10mm fans seem to be more enamoured with the round itself rather than the guns that shoot it. I do not see much "this 10mm gun is better than that 10mm gun" type posts on the 10mm forum (or maybe I just missed them).

On SigForum they even have a running "inside" joke that says "anytime anyone mentions the need for a 10mm Sig, God kills a kitten"

·
Registered
85 Posts
I owned a S&W 1066 years ago. It was the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. I even "finished off" a deer with it. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts