MP-Pistol Forum banner

Going To Trade My Full Size For A Compact

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Savage Shooting 
#1 ·
Both are chambered in .40, any thoughts? Has anybody else gone this route?

#2 ·
I have a 40 compact. Best shooting small gun I've ever owned, and the recoil ain't too bad for a 40 S&W round. Once you get used to the trigger break, you can drill multiple bullets through the same holes at 21 feet, which I think is pretty good for a 3 1/2" barrel!

However, make sure yours has the new slide lever spring. I've been told the newer springs are red instead of metallic gray. I've had some issues with mine where the slide locks open prematurely. I've posted this in other threads on this forum, and I'm waiting for S&W to reopen after the holidays to get a new spring in mine.

The issue seems to be with my thumbs brushing against the slide release lever under recoil. I'm trying to learn to modify my grip, but I hear the new spring is a bit stiffer and is more resistant to the occasional "thumb brush."

From what I understand, the geometry of the full-size 40 doesn't make it as succeptible to this issue as the smaller frames. I've never owned a full-size 40, but I have fired one. The recoil won't be significantly different betweent he two. And the 40 compact sure is a very conceable package! For me, the big caliber combined with the small package made this an ideal choice for CCW. Once I get this slide stop issue resolved, it will be darned near perfect.

#3 ·
i have kicked the same idea around, but i just cant seem to get rid of a gun. i guess they all have some kind of sentimental value for me. i don't really need a compact since we cant carry in Illinois anyway. If that ever changes i will deffinetly have to add a 40C to the collection

#6 ·
I traded my 9 fullsize for a 9 compact about 2 months ago. My wife has a 9 compact and I found myself shooting her gun at the range more than mine. I really came to love the way the compact shoots and it's ease of concealment. What clinched the deal was the $300.00 credit I got for my fullsize towards the purchase of the compact, not to mention the $50.00 rebate and two free mags. No regrets!

#9 ·
sholling said:
I rarely get rid of a gun. I'd rather just keep adding to my collection.

I agree.

If you can swing it, keep the full size and get a compact. I have 2 full size M&Ps (9mm and 45 ACP) and 1 compact (.40) and wish I had a compact 9 and full size 40.

Why? I like the way each shoots and it would be nice to have a compact and full size of each caliber.

Except for a few guns, I do regret selling off guns. And sadly, have gone full circle and bought another copy of something I sold! :?

Keep it if you can!

Take care, bill

#10 ·
I thought about this as well. I really didn't need the M&P9 Full-Size, but the rebate and free mags offer PLUS the hot deal I got from Bud's swayed me to it. Before I had thought about getting a S&W 638 to use as a BUG in an ankle holster and keep the M&P9C in an IWB for EDC.

I hate getting rid of guns. You get crap for trade in credit and selling to individuals is too risky.

#13 ·
I have had a full size M&P9 for about six months, and really like it. This past Christmas the wife thought my son and I might like to get "matching" pistols, and we settled on a pair of M&P9c's. I originally thought to trade the fullsize at some point in time, now I want to do some work on it-trigger job, strip off the slide for a two tone look, and some fiber optic sights, etc. I don't mind putting the money into a pistol I already know is very accurate and reliable.

#14 ·
Well I did it, sold my full size yesterday and just ordered the 40C from Bud's. Incidentally, I sold the full size back to the guy I got it from in the first place, I couldnt bear seeing them apart any longer. It was becoming quite pitiful, the whining and all.

#16 ·
why compact and not full size?

Between 1961 and 1975 I carried department issue S&W model 10s and a Chief's Special. From 75 until last year I carried a Colt custom 1911 .45 ACP. I got the M&P full size .40 because I preached to my students "Double action ONLY!" I had three students buy a custom .45 because they liked mine so much. (practice what you preach) Another reason I got the M&P was with the 1911 and 2 extra mags I had 22 rounds -with the M&P, I've got 46. Will I ever need that many? Probably never. I've never had to fire my handgun on duty or off. No manual safeties is also nice if you ever get in a gun fight and your fine tuned physical abilities possibly go south. I'm back carrying the 1911 until my new striker arrives from S&W.

B. Savage

NRA and N.C. Dept.of Justice CCH Instructor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.