MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a box of GS9MMC while I was ordering fishin' stuff since I haven't had any HD ammo around. I tend to not have any other ammo around, target ammo included. I'm getting into shooting for the sport, and having the HD weapon is the icing on the cake, but obviously it does me no good if there isn't a single bullet in the house, so let's fix that. Anyway, I see the case isn't brass in appearance. So, a few clicks on the internet and I find that the "case is nickel-plated", but nickel-plated what? I remember somebody posting that steel-case bullets ruined their barrel or extractor or something like that. I'm probably being paranoid, but anyone know what the base material of a GS case is?

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
They are nickel plated brass, and that stuff about steel cases is an old wives tale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The nickel plating is a good thing. Keeps the brass from corroding, doesnt scratch and ding as easily and is a little slicker and helps ensure reliable feeding. Primers are sealed too I believe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The nickel plating makes 'em almost too pretty to shoot. The eight rounds that didn't fit my night stand mag will have a date at the range this coming week so I can make sure the gun performs smoothly with them. Just a formality, right? The M&P seems more omnivorous than most other guns out there when it comes to eating ammo.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Yes, it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to test the gun with the self defense ammo, the M&P feeds almost anything you throw at it, but without testing you won't know for sure how it works, and you don't want to find yourself in a "situation" and discover that your particular pistol doesn't like that particular ammo!

Self defense ammo is expensive, but you should shoot as much as possible with the ammo you want to use, 200 rounds has been the traditional recommendation, but in the real world that ammo is awfully expensive to shoot that much up, shoot as much as you can, an absolute minimum would be a box of ammo, one magazine just isn't enough, and even one box is marginal to check for function. It's also a good idea to break the gun in a bit before you do your function test with your self defense ammo, a couple hundred rounds of the cheaper stuff can give you a basic break in, then test with your ammo of choice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the break-in taken care of, with already 1200 malfunction-free rounds at the range. Thanks for the advice and I'll speed up the pace a bit on testing the HD ammo for a couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
167 Posts
On the note of golden saber's. What is the formula to get a 124 gr to around the 39,000 psi area? What powder type/weight, for a cci primer and win brass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts