MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
non-chlorinated brake cleaner and compressed air for my 500 round cleanings, then every 1500 rounds or so, I detail strip and deep clean:

I spray the snot of of polymer pistols with simple green, scrub with a toothbrush, then soak a little in warm water for a few minutes, then I rinse off in HOT water, towel off, and throw it in the oven at 175 for 10 minutes.

To lube, spray a little rem oil on the slide and metal parts, wipe it down, then Slide Glide on the rails.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
olyeller said:
non-chlorinated brake cleaner and compressed air for my 500 round cleanings, then every 1500 rounds or so, I detail strip and deep clean:

I spray the snot of of polymer pistols with simple green, scrub with a toothbrush, then soak a little in warm water for a few minutes, then I rinse off in HOT water, towel off, and throw it in the oven at 175 for 10 minutes.

To lube, spray a little rem oil on the slide and metal parts, wipe it down, then Slide Glide on the rails.

Hey olyeller, I thought I was the last dinosaur left that used soap and water. Most of the people I tell to throw their pistol in the dishwasher give me one he!! of a look. I expect you as do I, have no rust problems. It is hard to get this message across.

Enjoy

:twisted:

·
Registered
936 Posts
I hear ya, TOF.

We've been there and done that.

-didnt just read on some gunboard about it. :wink:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Non Chlorinated Brake parts cleaner for me also.

Love the stuff.

I also use hot water and Simple green on most guns, I have not tried it on the M&P yet.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
keep the brake cleaner away form plastics in general. I use it on my all metal guns, but betwen the frame and the plastic insert in the striker channel, I keep it away from my M&P.

I use some butch's bore shine on a patch if it is really stubborn dirt. Mostly I just clean up with some clp on patches and use slide glide on the lube points.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Polymer safe "Gunscrubber" and some Hoppes #9 followed by Breakfree CLP and some gun grease on the slide.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Before I bought an ultrasonic cleaner I would wipe everything down with M-Pro7 soaked patches and Q-tips. Using a dental pick or similar tool is helpful in making sure there is no crud behind the extractor. Use a brass brush on the breechface. Run a wet patch through the bore followed by several passes of a brass bore brush followed by a patch and jag. For lube, I use Slide Glide and 10-8 Performance Lube. Reassemble and wipe the slide down with Break Free CLP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like Accubore in the barrel and on metal parts with a stainless steel brush for the barrel and breech face. Q-tips, patches, dental tools and a toothbrush get the tight spots pretty well. Plastic parts just get rubbed with a clean cloth. Everything gets wiped down with a lent free silicon cloth and metal parts get a very light coat of TW-25B (oil).

You have not seen a clean barrel until you let Accubore sit in it a bit and pass a stainless brush through. It never takes more than two patches before they come out clean after using Accubore.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I wipe everything down with Slip2000 degreaser and hit the lubrication points with Slip2000. Simple and easy.

·
Registered
936 Posts
So, In conclusion;

take your pick!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I also use Slip 2000

It is actually the best gun cleaner I have ever used and it is bio-degradable to boot.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Simple green diluted in water, scrubbed with a brush and then boresnake.....wipe down with silicone cloth, lube with Mobil One. All done. Works great. Non toxic, too.

-Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
olyeller said:
So, In conclusion;

take your pick!

I've started using Weapon Shield on all my pistols. So far the results have been very promising ... at least what I can see in the last week and one-half.
I even cleaned some "clean" pistols just to replace the lube I was using on them. Seems like the real deal.

See http://www.steelshieldtech.com/products.htm

--

Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use polymer safe gunscrubber on the body and shooters choice on the barrel and spring giude.

wipe down and a little hoppes oil and done.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hoppes #9 on the bore and breechface, wipe off old lube (grease for contact points and rails), relube. Rem-oil on externals and bore, with a rub-down of Hoppes Oil every four cleanings. Just put the WeaponShield on it last time. Can't wait to find time to shoot it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a shelf full of stuff and generally use some combination of....

FP-10

Militec-1 oil

Militec-1 grease

Wilson's Ultima-Lube

Slide Glide

Tuf-Glide

Eezox

TW25B

Gun Butter

MPro-7

And a couple others which I can't recall at the moment.

I recently got a sample of Weapon Shield which I haven't tried yet.

Really, all of them work pretty well. I think as long as you clean and lube your weapons regularly, it doesn't much matter what you use.

Even so, what I'd really like to see is a good test of all the leading gun lubes (and even Mobil 1) which looks at only their lubricating properties. There have been a few tests that looked at only rust prevention, but I'm mostly interested in what lube eliminates friction and wear the best.

For example, Eezox seems to be the best for rust protection, but I think there are better lubes out there. No scientific basis for that, just my impression.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
harrydog said:
...Even so, what I'd really like to see is a good test of all the leading gun lubes (and even Mobil 1) which looks at only their lubricating properties...

I am working on just that. I am going to test lubricity and corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I use Hoppe's Powder Solvent on barrel and slide and any metal parts reachable on the frame. Clean with patches and Q-tip where necessary. Once clean and dry, I use TW25B grease on the barrel (exterior) and inside the slide where the barrel rides against the slide - followed by a once over with Rem Oil. On the slide rails, I use Hoppe's Oil, one drop of each and allow it to run from rear to front (gravity performs this function). On the frame, I apply a very light coat of TW25B grease on the slide rails and that is the only lubrication the frame receives.

The exterior of the pistol receives a once over using a Rem Oil soaked patch. This is the same regimen that I use on my Glocks and M&Ps and to date, works pretty good. As for my Sigs, well, I soak them down pretty good with the Rem Oil, they like it wet as compared to the polymer based weapons.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts